1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Teufel Concept D 500 THX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Really? I do like Teufel stuff (specifically their DAC + speaker package) but £450?

Connecting separates up in the same way as this offering you could go for

Speakers

Amp

Cable

What you loose in base you gain in detail and clarity. Possibly you might want to go for better speakers and a cheaper amp, the way round I have it is just the one I prefer.

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

This set is THX certified, hence it's price.

Sam

4. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

lol - just picked up a (formerly) 2k+ 6x power amp (thx) soundcard , 5 kef eggs and a (prev) 1.2k sub for total 400....

wonder if it is better?

5. Xir

Xir Modder

on normal Teufel Subs, you can set the crossover...maybe it's a THX requirement that it can't be changed here?

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I'm with toka. Give me my hifi seperates any day!

7. BobbySparkle

BobbySparkle What's a Dremel?

"This set is a far better option than hi-fi separates"

Please quantify this, I'm currently running barracuda AC-1 card optically into a sony mds-920 (about 500 nicker in its day, though unfortunately limited to 48Khz) and then into an Arcam Alpha 7 amp, thats running Bi Wired Mordaunt Short 920s (pretty crappy speakers) coupled with a REL Q200e subwoofer.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that this setup will sound better than what I am running........sound is a subjective thing obviously, but I really can't see it chaps. If you want good sound out of a pc - get the best soundcard and best dac you can afford, its taken me about 6 years and several sets of different systems including the likes of jbl, harmann kardon etc. to reach this conclusion, but am quietly confident it'll take the pepsi challenge with most out there without spending horrific amounts of cash

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

If these make it to the elite list in CPC can you at least suggest a budget option as you do with GPUs and the like?

9. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

no new scoring system? with all the tam tam you announced it, i would have assumed it would be omnipresent by now?

10. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Don't worry, these won't be making the elite list. They're awesome and sound great, but we know only the minority want to splash this sort of cash on PC audio.

Hifi separates are always going to be tough competition at this price, esp. if you buy your bits second hand on the cheap. For an easy one shot of uber audio though, these are bloody good.

11. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

can you run a competition to win the pair you tested please? and announce me the winner?

want.

12. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

I have the 5 Kef eggs. I love em. :)

Personally I believe that speaker technology changes slowly. A set of high quality speakers from 10 years ago are still good now.
    But amplifier tech changes, so a 10 year old amp behind the times.

So, if you are going to get into audiophilia, get the best speakers you can afford now, cos you won't be changing them as often.

13. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Would this get the 'extreme ultra' award?

14. bcd

bcd What's a Dremel?

I concur, can't see why you'd feel the need to spend so much money on the amp though, the bottom-of-the-range Cambridge Audio amp would do you proud!

15. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

stop comparing 2nd hand hifi kit to brand new pc audio on a bang/buck level.
    by all means compare new hifi gear to new pc audio. and perhaps each time hifi still wins out, but when you need to make the hifi 2nd hand for better value then its a skewed unfair comparison.

16. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

I imagine having an amp built into the subwoofer, saves more space then having a big hi-fi amp and speakers. Also, it looks like they'd be slightly easier to wire up and get working. It's the old buy pre-built or build your PC argument. Personally I'm happy with my Q-Acoustic speakers, and Yamaha radio/amp, but I can see the appeal of these speakers.

17. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

The waveguide on the tweeters looks very nice, albeit a little deep.

They look like good performers but at that price there are better options. You can grab some nice powered powered monitors like the Yamaha HS80 for that price.

18. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

I still like my old tube amps.

19. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

quoted for truth, at that price you get into getting studio monitors. I would pick up a pair of KRK RP8's or the yamaha HS80m. Also at that point you should start thinking of room treatment. I know when I put my studio monitors in an untreated room I got a huge bass increase that absolutely killed the highs. it was like a 6+db gain.

here's where I would look http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=a35e6fae62e20ac810739f14ed058afe powered monitors are what most studio guys use.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

From the review:
    And then only a 7 for design?

Anyway, good to see Teufel pushing the limits of Pc Speakers, but above a certain price point your just better off connecting the PC to a Hifi and not bother with separate speakers for the Pc.

Tags: Add Tags