1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 23' or 24' inch monitor for £140

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dramatik, 19 Feb 2011.

1. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Hey guys, recently built my own pc but i've been using the crappy monitor i've had for 6 years!. any recommendations. will be gaming mainly at 1920x1080 and watching high def films. cheers.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2011
  2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Thats pretty specific, 1920x1200 is not very common. Ebuyer only have one in the £100-£200 price range. Considered dropping down to 1080?

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Very much doubt you will get one at that resolution for £140.

4. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sadly, for 140 pounds you still are in the "crappy" monitor land.
    The entrance fee for good monitors range starts at 250-280 pounds. I kid you not.
    TN based LCD panels make monitors laughably inexpensive, at the cost of everything.

what is considered "good" monitors are IPS or PVA panels, which start at about 260 pounds and can go up to several thousands of dollars, depending on how good the monitor is.

Why so expensive?
    Actually, if you compare prices of monitor technology, they didn't move much. The only branched that separated and drooped significantly to unbelievable levels is TN based LCD monitors. In Canada, the price of my excellent Dell U2410 monitor on special at 500$ was what I paid my 17inch CRT monitor back in 02-03, granted it was a good CRT monitor, the same as my current LCD screen, but the price did not change. Well it doped in fact, as now I have a 24inch, and have all the connection that someone could possibly want (well almost), and crazy features like side-by-side Picture-in-Picture so view 2 inputs at the same time, side-by-side.

• IPS and PVA panels are able to output true 8-bit colors per channel (red, green and blue) or more (8-bit x 3 = 16,777,216 colors), while TN panels can only output 6-bit colors per channel (262,144 colors). The reason why your TN LCD box says that it can so "16.7million colors", is because it uses a dithering technique, where, for colors it can't produce, it take 2 color that are close together, that it can produce, and switch between them (up to the response rate of the monitor, hence why it's important for TN panels that the number is lowest possible), in the vein hope to trick your eyes. Sadly, for your wallet, despite not being able to see the color switch, yours eyes and optical lob in your brain can capture and process several billion colors at extreme speed, hence you see the wrong color.

• As color accuracy is not (and can't possibly be) important due to above point, it doesn't have a color processor. The color processors ensures that the image received are displayed correctly displayed (color accuracy). Color processors cost a lot of money.
    • Production costs. PVA and IPS panels are difficult to produce compared to TN panels. Hence why it cost more. The benefit of IPS and PVA panels are that they have a 178 degree view angle, in all directions, and no mater how you rotate your head or monitor, landscape or portrait mode, the image is equally sharp.
    • Higher grade LCD liquid used. As IPS/PVA are usually aimed at people who enjoy color all the way up to professionals (depending on the model), higher, more vivid LCD liquid is used. Some TN panels uses glossy screen and over saturate the colors to try and imitate this. It doesn't work well, when compared to a IPS or PVA panel, but it does look better compared to a non-glossy TN panel, at the cost that you see your reflection, window and your room light.
    • As it's more professionals that uses such monitor, they usually come with a proper stand. This stand is usually in metal (or metal at the inside), and uses a metal mechanical system for durability and smooth and easy adjustment. And are usually fully adjustable. This stand cost more money, as you can imagine.
    • Better back light system. As you know, LCD panel don't emit light themselves, they need a back light, and that can alter your color greatly. LCD panels tend to use LED back light (proudly marketted as LED Displays... which is wrong.. as LED Displays is well this.)
      White LED are used, to be exact. True white LED's don't exists. They are actually light blue (popular choice with manufactures) and produces what we call a "cold-blue" or "bluish-white", or a light yellow/orange which is a warm white. Not white white.. or anything close.
      PVA and IPS USUALLY (but not always), uses a high grade CFL lamp. High grade CFL lamps, outputs a very nice white. Better the LCD, the better the lamp is, and better the light distribution system (can even reach to a uniform back light on the super expensive models) that is generally the recipe. Then, if you are filled with money, you can get those RGB LED, which consists of tiny Red, blue, and green LED very very close together and scattered every where, designed to output a true white color. Usually these monitors provide full control on the each red, green and blue color LED's set, to allow you to adjust the best white.

If you want models to look at, to start planning a better budget, here are models I suggest (no special order):
    - Dell U2410 (Like all Dell U series it uses an LG panel, if you wonder)
    - Dell U2311H
    - HP LP2475
    - HP ZR24W
    - NEC EA231WMi

If that budget can't be expended, not even after a year of additional saving, then might as well get the best TN panel you can. But I would not expect any ground breaking difference, just satisfied.

mucgoo likes this.
  6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

What monitor are you coming from?
    I chose size over substance so to speak, and haven't looked back.
    So while some would recommend doubling your budget/buying a smaller, 'better' screen, I'd just go for a monitor you like the look of with half decent specs that's in your price range.

7. Synalar

Synalar What's a Dremel?

Awesome explanation!
    You've blasted off the TN monitor fairytale :thumb:

By the way, I can see that you have the AX750 PSU; I have it also at home and it's really great!

8. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Very informative post +rep

Stretch the budget to the above posts recommendation.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

11. GoodBytes

What bugs me with the ViewSonic one, is:
    Source: TFT Central - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vp2365wb.htm

Which might explains the sever ghosting issue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source: TFT Central - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vp2365wb.htm

12. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

cheers for the info guys. hmm i would actually like to wait to raise the extra dosh, unfortunately im getting it from someone whom if I don't get something within the next few days they'll probably just spend the money lol. so until I save up for my own im gonna have to purchase "Something" in this price range. Im using a 18' inch 2nd hand monitor from NEC which is roughly 5-6 years old (step dad gave it to me). Really bad to use lol. So........anyone got recommendations.....something that is.....justifiable for this price?

Edit: I did bump into this. Anygood

BENQ EW2420 or the similar BENQ VW2420
    http://www.benq.com/products/product_detail.cfm?product=1705&pltag=49&ptag=104#

Last edited: 20 Feb 2011
  13. thetrashcanman

14. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

15. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

16. GoodBytes

The panel is the same, but the image processing circuit design is different as explained on TFT Central, quoted on my previous post.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

18. thetrashcanman

Out of those 3 I'd go with either of the benQ monitors

19. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

any reason why you'd go with the benQ's and is there a preferance to the LED backlit monitor

20. GoodBytes

I would go with BenQ as, at least it's a brand that has a reputation.