1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Acronym

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Achron, 28 Nov 2009.

?

Which faceplate design do you like? (Faceplates on page 6)

1. Don't change anything!

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Faceplate 1

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Faceplate 2

53 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Faceplate 3

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Faceplate 4

51 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. Faceplate 5

14 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. Faceplate 6

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  8. Faceplate 7

27 vote(s)
    13.9%
  9. Some other design!

14 vote(s)
    7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Ouch. I hope you're going to do something with those 'dead' pieces?

2. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

The case looks awesome. :thumb:

I was trying to figure out how you plan to attach plexi and aluminum front panel, and the only thing I can envision is that plexi will be attached to case. The vandal switches are through the two layers (plexi and aluminum) and will attach front design to the case?

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

...Gonna look sweet!:D

4. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Mmmmmmm, this is pr0n !

FcuK, it wnt to have machines to do stuff like this .
    I envy you, thats a compliment :D

5. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

That's actually not a terrible idea. I may have considered that if I already didn't have a design in mind. In the upcoming days I will present my design, as I start to work on the faceplate (and finish sanding!).

6. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Finally, an update!

No work done the past day though, seems as if I'm coming down with a cold. Dammit!

Going back a few weeks...here's a few shots of the top in the CNC (the old screwed up top, not the new one!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my lovely 3/4" BEM.

[​IMG]

All 26 of those stupid pins I had to make. Argh, what a pain. Shameless plug!

[​IMG]

Not many shots of the bottom being CNCed...let's face it, it kinda looks like the top (at least I would hope so!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After it was done, sanding time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of those little lines you see are going bye-bye. At least at some point. The sanding is tough work, and I broke my elbow about 5 months ago, and this is definitely making it sore. We shall see how long it takes!

7. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Nice work! Now try doing that with just hand controls :lol:
    Did you figure out what caused the screwup before?

8. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Ha...by hand...ha...I can't even fathom. I'd cast or vacuform this thing before that had the possibility of happening.

As for the screw up, who knows. The program was set to feed the tool from an incremental position of 1mm (or 3mm, can't remember) so it could start cutting. I think something got goofed up here, so from then on in pretty much everything I do I stay away from incremental feeds. They tend to screw things up since you don't pay much attention to them.

9. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

:D Bit wide in the waist but still sexy fembot, bet Bender will blow a couple servor motors over her.

10. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Hmph. Page 3. Seems as if I'll have to start updating a little more often!

I kept putting it off, but it had to be done! I tapped a few holes here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All tapped!

I still haven't ordered any screws or washers yet. I should probably make a list and get on that eventually.

I've been working on the faceplate recently, trying to get most of the main machining done as soon as possible since my quarter is wrapping up here in a month.

I did a little test run to fix / correct / adjust some things before I made the real one. Here's a few shots of the test faceplate in the CNC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished test piece!

[​IMG]

Honestly, I think I just love the coolant shots :clap:. Also, I've had a recent obsession with solid carbide end mills. They're better than sex. Really...I'm serious.

After the test piece I could start working on the real piece. Some final adjustments however, I added a millimeter to the outside edges. This is so that when I do mount the front plate, any inconsistencies in the body shape or mounting of the plate have room to adjust (that extra millimeter). I can always sand, but I can't add material.

Also, you can see which faceplate design I'm going with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Expect another update pretty soon, I have a lot of pictures I haven't posted yet!

11. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

this is sick!!! No words can descipe this! I'll be following for sure!

12. llamafur

That is so godly. This is definitely a Trillion Dollar PC :lol:

13. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

You chose number 7 for the front?
    Is the extra section in the picture above just a remainder from holding down the pieces for cutting?

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

OK first of all Achron this machined case is freaking gobsmackingly awesome :jawdrop: & I dig it very very much, without a doubt it is downright awesome, it's the shizz Achron and shows you really know how to design and operate the machines which I can't deny is a skill but is not the type of skill I look at in awe.

Thank you for putting me straight Pure, I'll edit the nonsense out, I occasionally open my big mouth and put my foot in it, it was inappropriate of me so sorry to Achron and the keen readers for being an a$$.

I agree it is great people share their works of art with the world, I have to tone down and only post appropriate replies or simply don't reply, it is a forum at the end of the day and was simply voicing my opinion, but went over the top, please try and disregard most of what I said, and thanks again pure for giving me a virtual slap so fast, it was deserved :duh:.

There will not be a next time I behave like an a$$, promise.
    -----------
    02:47am
    Hey again Achron, so sorry for being an a$$, I'm just glad Pure put me right so fast, helped stop me from leaving it at what I did which was bad.

I guess I was intimidated by the sheer awesomeness of this project it is that good, hope you can understand, please try & see it as the highest compliment I have ever gave anyone on a project log, I was like whoooah impossible to do by hand so yeah I caught a touch of inferiority complex there and splurged a stupid rant, you have no idea of how stupid I feel about this now and hold my head in shame, don't know if I could post here again after being such a pr**k.

I'm just having a hard time getting my head around cnc being so perfect.

Sorry Achron.

To keep it from messing up your log any further which I regret doing very much I have not been replying, but instead editing my post, just hope you get to see how sorry I am over my stupid rant.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2010
  15. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Oldnewby's build certainly was incredible; I voted for it to be MOTM and MOTY. But what the flying f*** has that got to do with online multiplayer? This is a build, you fool, not a competition. This computer isn't being built to win awards or raise awareness of a corporate product, it's not even being corporate sponsored like about a third of the builds here are. He's building it for a number of reasons, which involve BEING AT UNIVERSITY, not a 'corporate shop environment,' and because he wants an HTPC, not because he has his heart set on a MOTM award from a small forum on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. He is a post-grad student at a university, not a multimillionaire owner of his own machineshop (and even if he was, there are machine shop owners on here who produce stunning mods anyway - have a look at MNPCtech's builds for evidence). We encourage modding here as expressions of people's creativity, however they want to do that and within whatever budget they like. It's not a competition between who can throw the most money at their project, and if people who mod then look at someone else's efforts and discard them because they used different manufacturing techniques they're not really getting into the spirit.

We are lucky that talented builders and designers take the time to come on here, and show us new ideas, techniques and projects that can in turn encourage us. What does your criticism bring to the party, exactly?

If you had any personal experience of CAD and CNC-machining you would know you were talking out of your 'a$$'.

Who asked you? :eyebrow:

Next time you feel the need to let off steam about the advent of CNC to modding, kindly do so somewhere that isn't someone's build thread.

llamafur likes this.
  16. llamafur

So true.

17. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

I sat here debating with myself for quite some time on whether or not I should defend myself or not. In a nutshell, I'll keep it quite civil as I feel as if people are entitled to their own opinions, and for that I have no qualms.

I'd like to say that I didn't start this thread for any other reason but to contribute to the modding community that I've been a part of, and been reading about, for a very long time. In no way did I do this to obtain a MOTM or MOTY, nor do I even think I deserve it. It's an honor, not a competition.

I'm not sponsored, nor have I even asked to be sponsored. Everything I am doing is out of my pocket, or scraps I have found around the shop. I am lucky enough to work in the shop and have access to it, but also, just so you know, there are student shops on campus that will allow you to use CNC machines for the rest of your life as long as you take a class.

I don't really have much else to say, but honestly I think your anger is misplaced. I am not, nor have been, nor will be, the only one to use CNC machining in their build.

As for the effortlessly part...I have probably made 3 of these cases in total. Every part has taken at least 2 tries, most 3. CNC machining is more complicated than you'd think, and people that have done it can attest to this.

Anyway, I'm sorry you don't find my work as inspiring as you do others, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. I enjoy showing my ideas to people, I enjoy the feedback that I do get, and I am very thankful for the support people have given me over the past months. Even if people didn't like it, I enjoy what I do, and in the end that's all that matters.

@jegerjon & llamafur...I appreciate the great comments :D

@wahoomcdaniel...Actually, I went against the popular demand and chose number 4. I really do think the asymmetry will stand out quite well. The piece you are talking about is just a piece left over from the machining the contours around the faceplate.

@PureSilver...Thank you. I really do appreciate it.

llamafur likes this.
  18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I believe after me being such a bleeping tool, i should reply just in case you don't see the edit or the pm Achron.

02:47am
    Hey again Achron, so sorry for being a total a$$, I'm just glad Pure put me right so fast, helped stop me from leaving it at what I did which was bad.

I guess I was intimidated by the sheer awesomeness of this project it is that good, hope you can understand, and please try to see it as the highest compliment I have ever give anyone on a project log, I was like OMG impossible to do by hand so yeah I caught a touch of inferiority complex there and splurged a stupid rant, you may or may not have any idea of how stupid I feel about this now and hold my head in shame, don't know if I could post here again after being such a pr**k.

I'm just having a hard time getting my head around 3d cnc being so perfect when done so fantastic.

Sorry Achron for my stupid rant, like someone else said it's a godly mod and seriously made my manual skill feel deeply inferior :hehe:, here's hoping you understand :thumb:.

19. llamafur

I would sponsor you if I had the parts and money.

20. DarkHarlequin

DarkHarlequin Padowan Learner

This build is IMMENSE! Achron, seriously, hats off dude :thumb:

It's making me think about enrolling in a short course here in London so that I can get access to a shop, and hopefully someone with half the skills you have so that I can badger them with a million questions:clap: