1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding AGP Extender Mod: Completed 02/02/04

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scifikg, 29 Jan 2004.

1. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

:( Problem: Basically, I need a graphics card (Asus 9600xt)to fit as shown in the picture.

[​IMG]

I can't use a basic right angle card cause there isn't enough space under my dvd drive. I have seen sites like this and this. Only the flexible riser adapters will let me rotate the AGP, but they won't work at 8x. Plus, they are all very expensive. The motherboard has a gforce4 440 mx, which isn't too bad, but I like to game so I need something more powerful.

:) Solution: I'm bought 2 of these AGP riser cards. I'm going to completely desoder the AGP from one and replace it with 124 3" extension wires. Then I'm going to solder the other end of the wires to the bottom of the other AGP riser card.

What do you guys think? Insane. Stupid. Won't work. Waste of time. Cool. Best mod ever. None of the above.

EDIT: :D Results: Go to post #39 and #50

Last edited: 4 Feb 2004
  2. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

mysponse is fair enough :thumb:

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Well, to put it simply, it may not work. All of the wires would have to be the same exact length, and be of the correct type to keep all the timings correct. Want to know why the risers with the cable don't support 8x? Because the timings won't allow it. So basicly just extending it with random wires you find laying arround just won't work. But hey, if you want to try it go ahead, I won't stop you. But know that it proably (no, most likely) won't work. Sorry!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

... so... what you're saying is, it might not work? :D

5. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

sorry to add to the doom and gloom but i once considered this and did some research, and even if by some miracle you got it to work it wouldnt be 8x and would crash right away due to interfernce :waah: sorry man its a no goer im afraid.

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I doubt you would even notice the difference between 4x and 8x so why not try a ribbon riser anyway. (although I dont think they would be long enough for what you have planned)

7. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

i say give it a shot. provided you don't make any bad mistakes i cant see it harming your hardware, so why not? if it works you will have shown everyone whats what =)

8. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna go ahead and try it. I started desoldering one of the AGP risers cards. It's taking forever. This gonna be some tedious work. :sigh: I can only hope it will be worth it. I'll let you guys know how goes.

9. fuzzygoblin

good luck :)

10. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Just get a new case ;)

11. fuzzygoblin

yeah sure (sarcasim if you cant tell), what sort of case are you using mate it quite obviously is a mo of some sort, i predict it will hvae a lcd(for temps and stuff) am i right?

12. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Wth is your problem? It just seemed like he is spending more money trying to get this card in than a new case itself would cost... Just a suggestion, I'm not god or anyone who at my command do whatever I say, ok?

13. fuzzygoblin

no offence or anything but buy looking at the picture most people could see it was a mod a mod that has provied a challenge, on back away form a challenge its part of moding, you encounter a challenge and you tackle it head first, only give up once you have tried everything. and its not going to cost much all he is doing is going to do is buy some wire its not its titanium coater uranium stuff

14. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

I know I know. But I myself wouldn't want to hinder stability/performance just to make my case look cooler, maybe I'm not an extreme modder like you guys yet, and maybe someday I'll understand.. and don't get me wrong, I'm not a rich guy who just go buys whatever he wants.. I see it, yet don't see it completely why you'd do that lol

15. fuzzygoblin

ok, i myself probably wouldnt do this(to lazy and am 14 so yeah), but i have learnt that its about the challenge and proving it can be done if it works and doesnt hinder the performance then it will have been worth it and he will be able to have it in his cool case

chears :thumb:

16. counterclockwise

counterclockwise What's a Dremel?

i was looking into this... i just dont have the time, but what i suggest is that you use ribbon cable, rather than 124 individual wires. far far easier to manages, and getting the wires the same length will be easire too. also, surely you only need 1 riser - desolder the socket from that, and solder the wires into the holes the socket left, useing the desoldered socket to plug the card into..

*is glad he can fit a full size card on a normal riser into his mini pc*

17. glennd_05

glennd_05 What's a Dremel?

looking at the pic, i can tell that the case is some kid of pelican style case and i can see that he's already put a lot of work into getting everything else in there, so for him just switching cases would not be an option. I agree w/ fuzzygoblin, dude give it a try, if it doesn't work, then try somethin else, but at least give it a try. :thumb: :dremel:

-glenn

18. fuzzygoblin

yeah i can see how you think its one of those pelican cases i dont really knwo ie never encountered them but they do look similarish

19. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

It has a parallel lcd and a 15" lcd. I haven't figured out how display temps, but the parallel lcd displays other stats like memory, CPU usage, etc.

I considered using ribbon cable as well. I found some 31 wire ribbon cable but the gauge was to high for the little board and it was very expensive. I only checked digikey though. I wanted a second one cause I just dont trust my soldering skills anough to connect 124 wires to some flimsy pins on the back of the AGP connector

Good call glennd_05. It is a pelican 1500 case. Here is an older pic.
    [​IMG]

20. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

ok i obviously didnt make my point im all for giving it a try but its the small right angle risers which can only handle 4x, the custom made ribbon cable can just manage 1x without significant EM interference and looking at that case its going to get some so it probably wont even work at all! i can tell you have made a fantastic case and it must suck that the card wont fit, but some things just are and the purpose built ribbon cable wont work so i dont see a home made one being any better sorry.