1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD makes a fresh start with graphics software

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 2 Nov 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

To be honest, CCC was something that could have done with a make over and rebranding like this. If you compare the aesthetic of CCC to GeForce Experience CCC looked really dated and old. to be honest I think this still falls short of Experience.

Whilst the look of a piece of software doesn't matter in any real terms, like it or not, it will have an affect on brand image and it will affect sales. We aren't as impenetrable to advertising and marketing as we would like to think.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I think AMD is doing to CCC what Microsoft did to IE: the important part of the software code will largely remain the same, but they want to remove the stigma that the old name carries, so they intentionally change it up enough to not look or behave like the old software and just slap a new name on it. Of course, I could be wrong about this, it's really just a speculation. I don't know enough about Edge or Radeon Software to know how different they really are from their predecessors.

4. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

In the Paragraph above the embedded video, last sentence, horse's mouse?

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Lol. Fixed. Thanks!

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No. Just no. Let's have some proper English rather than made-up weasely PR speak please :)

I remember when CCC first came out, it got a lot of stick because ATI had decided to write it in C# - they took a lot of flack from idiots who confused the CCC settings app with the actual drivers, and thought it was the drivers that were written in C# :sigh:

To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about the look of the software, but if the new version is easier to use than CCC then I'll be a happy man.

7. theshadow2001

If it is written in c# previously and is in Qt now(a C++ GUI API), then it should be a much more cross platform friendly program.

8. ----jimbo----

----jimbo---- What's a Dremel?

Basically you issue your opinion as fact then end your message with the fact you don't really know. Edge uses a completely new engine over IE and shares very little code.

9. theshadow2001

Oh the humanity! :rolleyes:
    According to WikipediaEdge's display engine is a fork of the one used in Internet Explorer. So its hardly that new is it?

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, "re-architected" is absolute cobblers. Even "re-architectured" is better, although it's still absolute cobblers. What's wrong with "redesigned"?

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Re-designed means the design was changed. Re-architected means the software architecture was changed. Ditching .NET for QT is a pretty big architecture change.

12. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

If the announcement is a big deal, "redesigned" is probably just fine.
    When the audience is likely to think "oh, okay... you wasted my time just to tell me that?" then you need "re-architected" to make it sound a little more impressive.

That's PR 101.

13. wst

wst Minimodder

I'd've gone with "restructured". It's a real word and isn't just a new façade but actually some load bearing members and joists had to be moved about and suchlike on the inside.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

15. theshadow2001

I doubt it. One of the few assets AMD have left is good will and a move like that would annihilate it. Its not their style anyway, AMD don't lock things out the way Nvidia does. Mantle -> Vulkan. OpenCL is used as their compute platform. Compute power is not nerfed the same way as Nvidia does with their GeForce GPUs. NVidia drivers won't allow GeForce cards to work when passed into a VM where as AMD cards work fine. Freesync uses an open standard, Nvidia won't even look at supporting display port extension (unless its in a laptop).

16. Xir

Xir Modder

a thorough "meh" from me,

I prefer just the driver, not the software suite. CCC has been a self-installing pain for years.

17. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I guess that you don't have dual graphics cards and triple displays then? :-D

18. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Yes it was forked but do you even know what forked means? As he has stated he can be entirely correct as it can share some very basic code and the rest be entirely new, making it a distinct and new engine.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Is it still as ****-slow and useless as CCC?

20. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The biggest problem I have is that "architect" is a noun not a verb: it literally means "chief builder". I hate the habit of turning nouns into verbs - and you can get the same level of importance by using the term "re-built" without having to make words up. :sigh:

Getting back to the topic, ATI drivers have always appeared second-rate compared to nVidia's. I don't know whether it's their release rate or the look of CCC compared to nVidia's offerings and rate of release, but it's always seemed to me that ATI aren't quite as dedicated to the gamer as nVidia are. That's my perception, anyway.

Tags: Add Tags