1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Anime! ^_^

Discussion in 'General' started by Otis1337, 1 Oct 2010.

1. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Came to think of where do you guys by Anime, as the Danish places are, well limited in supply, and all too often the only one you can get is dragonball and Pokemon films, and whenever I find a good one they are too often ridiculously expensive.

As I doesn't have too much experience with shops outside Denmark (except EMP) which ones are good.

I like to own my movies but unfortunately it is a rare thing finding a proper place to get these things within Denmark.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i import all of mine from movietyme, good pricing and free shipping from the us is icing on the cake

3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Indeed

If a person is new in the anime, you have to start with the classics stuff like Rorouni Kenshin (One of my favotite), Miyasaki stuff, Cowboy Bebop or The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. BUT if you absolutely want to be traumatized at the beginning, Elfen Lied, Teknolize, Serial Experimental Lain, Gantz ^^

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Does anyone here enjoy cartoons other than anime?

Any King of the Hill fans?

Moral Orel?

I enjoy some anime (Cowboy Bebop, and Lupin III, Akira was a decent movie) but I'm just so repulsed by the whole weeaboo crowd that I'm not at all interested in watching much else.

Maybe it's different in the States, or just in the high school that I recently graduated from, but being associated with Japanese culture is the biggest social mistake you can make.

The kids who wore tails, wore those hats with cat ears, walked around the hallways with manga books, attended anime club, backpacks branded with anime characters, tshirts, etc. There's no group that was picked on more, it was pretty ridiculous.

I was never a big enough fan to want to join that club, but witnessing all this probably helped me decide not to ever pursue that interest.

Anyway.. Metalocalypse?

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Open Mind is not your ennemy, my dear United Statians friend. Its not a cultural mistake, it's a matter of taste.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ah the "if you're not mainstream you're not cool" club. I think it's because most of US schools and collages are campuses or entrenched within wholly enclosed environments or communities where it's not easy to escape. Sure, you get that here to some extent but people still express themselves - especially in Uni.

I couldn't understand the expression of cat ears and preference to cosplay personally but it didn't bother me until I went to an anime society for a year, because they had a cinema screen and a few hot Asian babes. Unfortunately everyone there was at some level socially reclusive and very difficult to relate to. It's used as an escapism rather than a form of enjoyment. I can kind of see it both ways - they don't help themselves but they weren't given it easy either.

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm confused now, cat ears and tails are mainstream in England?

I'd call that club the "if you're mainstream you're uncool" club, they try their hardest to dress strangely and do strange things. They're all fake gays, the guys occasionally wear skirts, etc.

The high school I used to attend is one of the largest in the US, plenty of opportunities to express yourself given the 100+ clubs, 30-odd sports teams, several theater groups, bands, orchestras etc.

I'm a little confused by your post. :eek:

Last edited: 5 Oct 2010
  8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I see your Clannad and raise you a Kanon.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It happens a lot.

As for anime, the 6-episode OVA of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is amazing. (It kind of goes off the rails after that because it was never meant to continue but was picked up and converted into a series because money are gud.)

Also, we already have an anime thread somewhere, don't we? It got kind of abandoned, but it's not that far gone.

edit - related
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Oct 2010
  10. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

The original Tom and Jerry and pretty much all the old cartoons. I like some of the new ones but unfortunately many of those has been made.. too clean, where did the violence go ?

But Oggy and the cockroaches is great over the top violence never fails.

One of the advantages of Anime is that much of it is made for more adult viewers. The likes of Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi and Hauru no ugoku shiro can be seen by adults and children alike.

While something like Grave of the fireflies must be considered adults only, (talk about a sad movie)

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not mainstream or regularly seen by any means but occasionally people would do something strange. OK not cat ears but anime logos on bags wasn't exactly frowned upon. My point is that it was never that big a deal; yes there was the self-inflicted social outcasts but it wasn't a high-school death for all because you liked cartoons.

Grave of the Fireflies? I'm never, ever watching that again. Good movie but I don't willingly want to be depressed for the entire day any time soon :lol: Also, where has all the violence gone you say? For sadistic, batshit crazy: Dokuro-chan. You have been warned.

If we're also talking non-Japanese animation, then it's 80s or nothing. And yes, MASK and Thundercats ARE superior to any other opinion. :rock: :hehe: ~*relives childhood at his nan's house*

Blademrk likes this.
  12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Aah Thundercats..many happy memories.

Watched a good but rather strange film quite recently. A Mamoru Oshii film called The Sky Crawlers. I did enjoy it but it was certainly at a different pace from what I usually watch.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

forget kanon i'll raise you AIR

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

:hehe: +1

Thundercats, MASK, TF, D&D, Pole Position, Cities of Gold etc...

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I think I see a pattern here...

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:rock:

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

then allow me to break it with Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen

18. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I don't think that a mere 'sad' goes far enough when describing GotF. To me it felt more like having my heart ripped out and every capability to feel emotions extinguished. If a child were to watch it, he or she would be scarred for life.

Slightly less dramatic but still extreme is Boogiepop Phantom. I'd advise to keep all sharp objects away while watching it :D

Moving on, Kanon is my favourite series. Air just didn't do it for me. I actually felt annoyed watching the latter.

19. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I know theres Bleach haters on here, but the new ep that came out today was simply fantastic.
    Linky

[​IMG]

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'm a big Naruto fan

I didn't read the thread but I expect a lot of hate coming my way because it's mainstream. I don't care. Naruto is awesome