1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by WILD9, 5 Jul 2004.

1. Big_Adam

Big_Adam What's a Dremel?

oow, anime thread.

just to be random and change topic, anyone seen the latesrt black lagoon ep, i think its a bit lacking in the second series then again its been following thoses two mass murdering kids.

what does everyone else think?

now back to my LASCAD write up.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's something like the scientific name for the bat species (like homo is for humans, i.e. homo sapien, homo erectus, etc.). I think SHS chose to use Chirotopian as "OH NOES ITS A BAT!" didn't sound very scary.

All my naruto originally was ANBU/AOne but they just took longer and longer to release subs that I've just eneded up going with Dattebayo for the last few hundered episodes. It's scary to think theres been almost as many filler episodes as canon epidsodes but luckily they should be nearing the end now, and the fillers have gotten quite decent now anyway.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup, at the time when ANBU and Aone did a good job together for 80 odd episodes. Then they fell out and ANBU and Aone decided to go it alone for a little while until Anime Heaven subbed as well, then they fell apart and a few formed Dattebayo. /history lesson. Afaik Aone still sub Naruto but are so far behind it's not worth considering. The latest Eps are pretty entertaining; the animation quality is up as well.

4. Big_Adam

gonna have to see the orignal JP ones, the english ones arn't doing it for me. don't see the appeal.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I don't really see how anyone could like the english dub of naruto but it's apparently quite popular. It's very rare to find a well english dubbed anime, I think probably Spirited Away was the best english dub I've heard in a while.

6. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Spirited did have a really good dub. It's sad that more animes do not have good dubs, considering the increasing popularity of anime outside of Japan. I thought the dubbing job on Ghost in the Shell: SAC was pretty good, but that's my personal opinion. I've never seen the subbed version of Naruto, but the English dub was one of the worst jobs I have ever seen.

7. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I have to say I can't stand dubbings, whingey American accents overlaid on top of Japanese animation :wallbash: :shudder: No if you want to watch anime it must be in its original language and subtitled :) Just like any foreign film or TV series really.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You should watch some of the copycat american aminations. Oh god the halarity.

9. Big_Adam

come on, cowboy bebop is the greatest re-dub ever. all the voices fit (why do i think there has been a dub vs sub bit in this thread already) just sounded good.

JADS, i know your pain, Ikki Tousen.....in english or even worse Azumanga in english. Just becuase osaka is a little dim is no reasion to make her sounds like a steriotypical hillbilly.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's just something they do in anime, anyone who talks osakan in an anime is just given a southern accent.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cowboy Bebop
    FLCL
    Most of the Miyazaki movies
    GITS

Are all worth the english dub. Naruto and Gunslinger Girl are ones of the worst I've ever heard.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

PANTSU!

I still prefer jap audio and eng subs to a well done dub but sometimes an anime can move too fast for you to be able to keep up with the subs and admire the video.

13. Big_Adam

No way! I’ve heard the FLCL dub and it made me want to rip out my own ear drum to stop the torment.

How can you like it, ack. my brain won't comprehend.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

FLCL is one of the greatest dubs there is. It works well with the mouth movements on screen the right actors put some effort in.

15. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

WTF? it was a great dub.

16. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Hay i think ive found the worst dub ever.
    Was watching transformers head masters and the dubbing is soo dreadful its laughtable.

17. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I found Appleseed and Howls Moving Castle to have good dubs even though the lip syncing in Appleseed was relativley out of time.
    The dub of Nausicca was pretty bad though and there is another that was pretty terrible that I've seen recently though the name eludes me :/

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ahh god yea, Nausicca is painful. People think it's one of the best Ghibli movies as well and I just can't see it. Same with Castle of Caligistro, it's just like any other Lupin episode and the mangas are FAR better.

Appleseed (2004?) is a bit painful. The Boom Boom Satellites make some great music to accompany it and the real life to CG motion capture works well but trying to CG anime just looks like crap.

I haven't seen Howls dubbed actually. I've gotta buy that at some point.

19. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Christian Bale is the voice of Howl and Billy Crystal is the voice of Calcifer. For Calcifer just imagine Mike Wazowski (Monsters Inc.) but as a flame and you get the idea.
    I actually found Howls was one of the only films I couldn't stand being subbed actually which is pretty odd as normally I'm happy to watch all subs. There was just something I found to be wrong about the original voice of Howl in the Sub which Christian Bales gritty voice fixed in the dub :)

Do love Ghibli films though. They are generally great to watch no matter the mood though Grave of the Fireflies is really sad :waah:

I also watched Akira the other day as I had it bought for me but I found it really hard to follow and understand what was going on. I also felt the ending was kind of lacking explanation/closure. Is it just me or does that just happen to be the way the film is?

20. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Ive got another one, Beserk...one hellava series and good dub.
    And spriggan.

Tags: