Are We Too Connected?

Discussion in 'General' started by crazydeep74, 10 May 2007.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Gotta be carefull with knives though, there are legal limits to what you can carry, and police will expect a good reason for anyone carring any sort of knife. A knife doesn't really connect you at all though, and that is what this threads about.

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Phone + mp3 player. That's it. No other gadget's do I ever carry.

3. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

I have my mobile, keys and mp3 player always. Sometimes I pick up my 1gb memorystick but that's not very common. I would love an iPhone, though I think it'll come with an evil pricetag :sigh:

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Usually the only thing on me is my phone. One thats 2 years old now and needs replacing.

When I have my bag with me, it holds my laptop, cordless mouse, memory stick and some accessories.

But nowhere near as much stuff as you seem to carry around - what is the purpose of having a windows and a linux PDA ?

5. ajack

ajack rox

Why do you carry 2600 magazines with you? It's not as if they're going to provide you with constant necessary information. Especially with the newer issues, it's going downhill rapidly.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the question is how do you carry 2600 magazines?

as for me, standard mobile phone + keys + thumbdrive + 1 swiss knife + small multi use pliers + "swiss card" + buss pass + wallet + sometimes a small led flashlight, especially when i go out at night + sometimes my small mp3 player.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

"2600" is the name of a cr/h/acker magazine DXR, it's not the number of magazines he carries :)

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Mainly just my XDA as I'm still without an mp3 player...might take the old memory stick around when I need it and sometimes take the lappy to school but that's about it.

<A88>

9. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

I usually carry an issue to read when I am not doing anything. The recent issue was very good, don't judge the whole series by just the last issue.

10. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Umm you DID misunderstand me. I go to a vocational school as well as a regular school. I take an electrical engineering and a java programming class. I meant I carry a windows CE PDA, and a windows/linux (dual boot) laptop. IPOD for self explanatory reason. The portable hard disk is too keep my java files, cad, and windows virtual machine image, the school networks are too untrustworthy too keep my data on. My thumb drive is an old junker that I have not taken off my key chain, it contains switchblade and ghostzilla (for when you need a little internet assisted help on tests :) ). The PCMCIA cards are self explanatory.

EDIT : Also its not like I'm juggling the stuff around, its fairly small and fits in my book bag, with lots of room to spare. IPOD Nano, 2.5 inch usb powered external hard drive, and a very small laptop, sub 12" screen.

11. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

Hrrm when I wander around town, i generally only carry my phone and ipod plus wallet etc.

when on holidays i cart around my laptop, camera, couple of mem cards and gps puck

when i was at school i used to have my laptop and portable hdd with me at all times

in my previous job i had multiple thumbdrives (256MB ones were free for work purposes) and about 300 cds

now my car is rather more impressive with sticks of ram multiple powersupplies routers tools etc in it. at one stage it had a few spare monitors and even desktops in it.

but none of this is really connected when not at home\school\base office as the only system that connects to something else was my phone because data on phones cost too much

so too connected doesn't really apply to me.

12. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

well im not exactly strutting the streets looking to knife someone

sorry to hi-jack btw

13. RTT

RTT #parp

as much as it sounds like BS, i'm not all that attached. i carry a mobile phone which i rarely use and that's about it. i sit on my ass every weekday between 9 and 6 but then i go home and don't touch the internet until the next morning, and not at all over the weekend unless i come into the office (which i don't).

Some people are definitely too connected though and really need to broaden their range of hobbies to more than just stuff that revolves around the internet and computers. do some of you really need to carry around "a stack of ethernet cards"? :confused:

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

TBH, I just carry a phone and wallet, don't really have a need for much more when I'm out and about.
    I have the net at home and at work, my phone plays mp3's and even then I drive most places so use the cars mp3 player for music.
    About the only other thing I could do with is a PDA with sat nav software, but as most of my driving is to and from work I'm not likely to get lost.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

When I'm at uni (and sans-car), I carry phone, iRiver, wallet, keys, thumbdrive, but that's about it (when I'm not going out at night anyway). When I do have the car, it's wallet, keys and phone, all the music/crap I need is usually in the car or a short drive away. Even the phone's not that useful...

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Just phone, wallet, bus-pass and keys here. Its handy that the phone doubles as a MP3 player for the regular bus journeys.

I really don't like carrying around a lot - its just more to get in the way and get nicked.

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I can't stand having anything more than a wallet, car keys, and a phone. The only reason for the wallet is if I need to buy something. I usually don't, but it's got my license, which I need every time I drive somewhere. The keys are to get me into my car and house. My phone is to help me meet up with my friends. I live in a big spread-out town. The nearest store is like 2 miles away from my house. I drive around all the time. There's no public transportation at all. There aren't even sidewalks, and most roads don't have shoulders, so the only way to bike or walk is in the traffic lanes. I'm looking forward to college, next year, where I'll be able to walk or take a train everywhere I need to go, and I can drop my car off 25 miles away and only drive it if I want to go out of town on the weekends.

Edit - As an addendum, I just realized that while I'm in classes, I usually have my TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator on me. Not that I use it all that much. Real men do math with Greek letters.

Last edited: 11 May 2007
  18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

As a mildly connected thought, I hate people who always have an ipod on them. At my school, there's only 4 minutes between classes, and kids bring ipods for it! When everyone else is socializing, about half the students are completely isolating themselves from the world with ibuds. I have an ipod, but I rarely use it, and even then mostly to connect to my car stereo.

19. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I just carry my phone with me these days.

I used to carry my phone, MP3 player and 2 USB memory sticks, but then I consolidated all of that into a newer phone which handles all the above functions for me.

I lose more if I lose that phone or if it's stolen, but I figure I'll be pretty pissed off one way or another if I lose a decent phone that cost €250 :hehe:

It's a Sony Ericsson W810i, which acts as a fairly decent MP3 player and stores data on Memory Pro Duo flash cards, so when I carry the USB cable it's also a convenient USB memory stick with up to 4gb interchangeable storage. :D

On the downside, the transfer rate is painfully slow, as it was designed to be used as an MP3 player more than a data-storage device.

Am I too connected? I don't think so. I'm as connected as I feel I need to be when outside of the house. :eyebrow:

20. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

This week I am experiencing the joy of convergence.

Last week I used to carry "in pockets" Phone, PDA, MP3 (40gb Iriver chunky monkey)

"in bag" Depends on what type of day im having, a work day will have a laptop, my GPS receiver, a couple of USB>Device charging cables. Whatever new PC mag was out that day and my 40gb mini laptop external HD. Day Off I usually have that + my camera bag.

Today I have an o2 Orbit, which is phone, pda, GPS and mp3 (ok so 2gb of transflash isnt alot but its enough to get me through the day. I always keep a selection of music on the laptop so I can change whats on there if I want to.).

Its also taken the umpteen charge/connection cables out of my laptop bag as it just needs a single mini USB "top hat" cable to charge with. This has made my life far better.