1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Are you a Honker?

Discussion in 'General' started by Thacrudd, 2 Dec 2008.

1. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I don't use mine at all....It's not working :(

Last time I tried to use it some tit had just been body slammed against the bumper (it's a defender :D) and it didn't work :waah:
    Anyway, a mate who does them up didn't have any *working* LR horns...so now it's got an airhorn :D just needs installing now :s

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Whenever I'm pissed off at someone else driving

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I hate people that beep - about 1 in 5 of them will scare me shitless and could cause a massive crash.
    Don't beep at cyclists people.

4. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

<tongue in cheek rant>Don't sit on the right of me and promptly turn left in front of me at traffic lights then, that said the idjits on scooters are worse for that one, cyclists just ignore the red light and carry on their merry way wondering why the traffic that has a green is honking at them :p </tongue in cheek rant>

I generally use the horn on people who shouldn't be allowed control of a vehicle of any description on the road, yes 'lil' old granny in the micra who can't see over her steering wheel trundling along in a 60 so slowly that she has a tractor trying to overtake, I'm talking about you ... guess who gets stuck behind her on a regular basis?

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

Hey! Don't be dissing the micras! :) I am aware that I drive a car that usually is driven by people older than Nissan itself, I actually got mine off my grandparents after my grandad fell ill, and sadly passed away. Anyway I am the only micra you see that is always overtaking everyone else on the parkway :p

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

the only time i ever honk is when i'm driving through a parking lot and some moron starts to back out of their space into me. unless you are moving at parking lot speed, honking isn't going to warn anybody in time for them to react if a crash is actually coming.

and i don't bother honking after somebody's been an ass, if they drive like that honking isn't going to change it.

7. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I occasionally use mine on blind country lane corners, or if someone really, really riles me with dangerous driving. I don't do it often though, as my horn isn't very intimidating.

While I'm on this kind of subject: how many idiots are there on the road that don't know when to use their lights? If it is raining, use your lights, if it is dark, use your lights. If it is dark, raining/sleeting, there is ice on the road and salt everywhere, use your damn lights!

8. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

i use it on blind corners on narrow roads, and occasionally when someone does something dangerous. Isnt it illegal to use it for a non-safety related purpose or summat?

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Depends entirely on the country. The US, UK, and the rest of Europe; hardly ever. Turkey, the Levant, and most of Arabia; all the time. So far in Africa, more then I'd like to.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

LOL... quality

It depends what I'm driving. In the Mustang I never sound the horn for fear of some chav kicking the car or something as I go past.. so I never sound it at pedestrians... I will only sound it if it's to avoid a genuine emergency. In the crappy daily driver if anyone gets in the way, they get a good horn blast.

11. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

My horn is rather pathetic - I use it before corners on twisty country roads just so people know i'm coming.

On saying that, I went down to Glastonbury a few months ago - on the last day we all just nipped into town for an hour to have one more look around, and then set about the journey back again. Just coming out of town, I turned into a road and someone was there reversing out of her drive - beeped the horn, which she either didn't hear, or didn't react to - now I've got a black skid mark on my bumper

Thankfully no serious damage though :)

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You've a 406 as well, mines a right bugger.

13. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Rarely use my horn as I can never find it when I'm angry. (It should be a big red button)

Plus it sounds feeble.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It is a big button, it's the steering wheel! (Isn't it? :p)

15. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I don't use my horn except for the usual danger stuff. You know... erroneous lane switching... and on one occasion a woman who was reversing out from her driveway but seemed oblivious to me waiting in a middle of a jam right outside her house lol.

16. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

In my car it's two small buttons on the steering wheel, they blend in a little too well. When I'm mad I don't want to have to look for them, I just want to hit something!

17. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

<rant>The problem is, I live on a narrow country road, and too many people use their horn as an alternative for their brakes. Being the country, there are lots of people round here walking their dogs or riding their horses along the road - or, shock horror, other people driving the other way along the road. At least once a month, we'll hear a hoot of a horn as some git speeds along the road, followed shortly by the screech of brakes as they meet something coming the other way.</rant>

As for me, I very rarely use my horn - I have a 4x4, and the horn sounds really weedy for such a large car.

18. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Oh I'm pretty careful on country lanes. I learnt to drive on them, so I know to be careful. It's more in the situation when you have no idea what's around the corner, and to warn anyone coming the other way.

19. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I rarely use my horn, i think the last time i used it, i was palming my steering wheel around and accidentally tapped enough of it(covers the whole wheel) I generally curse at people. I used to give people one finger salutes, I still do if they nearly hit me, like some idiot on 4 lanes CLEAR of traffic decides to try to switch to mine while i'm hard on the brakes. Glad that Lexus has 6 pin calipers.

20. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

use it to express annoyance at an idiot i've just avoided a crash with, and to nudge dozing drivers at junctions (just a little toot, no full on honking)

i also use it a lot when i'm in greece, in the city and on mountain roads, to signal your presence. in the city people just don't take any notice of other cars. greek drivers == maniacs.