1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors ARGH - This is retarded, 20mpg hybrid!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mother-Goose, 28 Sep 2007.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Meanwhile I'm driving an '03 Elantra (AvanteXD) with the stock air-system ripped out and a CAI on it, and I get 30 mpg. And that's good around here, lol.

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

That is such an ignorant response.

What we europeans are saying is there is actually no need for all your trucks to be massive petrol *******s. Merc will release bluetech M and R class SUV's in europe thats for sure, and they'll probably get 35mpg+, but they'll have particulate filters so they'll be just as "clean" as the petrols.

You want to take 6 people on a 700 mile trip huh? A renault grande espace 7 seater (grande has extended wheel base and plenty of space for luggage) with a 2.2dCI (I think thats renaults designation for their diesels) will get 35mpg as a manual, or 31 as an auto.

If you've got 2 kids then that bmw, which is astonishingly quick, will get 40mpg, thats the sport varient too.

Want an SUV, the lexus RX400h gets 34mpg, yes, a hybrid.

Want a small car to go with your big one because you don't always need a truck, get a mini one 1.6 diesel, over 65mpg.

Please remember I am not having a go at you specifically, but just that general mentality that you need a truck to do anything that americans have. Don't get me wrong, I love America and American's, I think there are somethings you guys do that we need to learn from, but this thing with the climate, maybe you need to have a look at what we're doing over here in Europe, because we're doing it right.

3. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

Wow, 20mpg! Those suvs can go **** themselves.

What's retarded is that people are trying to get more efficient but keep getting bigger cars. 90hp was good enough back in the 70's, why not make 90hp cars that get 50+ mpg now instead of making 300hp cars that get he same mileage as the old but less powerful ones?

4. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

What about when the family on vacation decides to bring the boat along? It is also easier to haul luggage for 6 people in an SUV than a minivan, I know from experience with both types of vehicles. A mini-van is in fact, quite a practical vehicle, however it's primairy use is as a people mover. A common trend I see where I live is in fact not the typical soccer mom driving her over sized land-barge everywhere with 90% of the vehicle empty, instead I find that a lot of people own a sedan and an SUV. The SUV can haul a large number of passengers (and their luggage) but it can also haul far more than the minivan, so it doubles as a pick-up, that is where an SUV becomes practical.

5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

On the other hand, there are situations where you definitely do need a truck - for instance, a couple of summers ago, when we took the quad (utility vehicle, not sport) up to the cabin, stayed a week, and brought back a ton and a half of firewood - there's no way an overgrown minivan could handle hauling that kind of a load up and over the pass.

Not that I'm advocating driving a Suburban or H2 to work, that's a job for a small car, motorcycle, or bicycle, depending on how nice the weather is. There's a right application for every type of car, and a right car for almost every application. I hate driving the Suburban (it's like steering an aircraft carrier), but there are times when I need the strength and pulling power of a 2.5 ton truck.

(And yes, we need to loosen the restrictions on diesel vehicles over here. The sooner we see wide-spread adoption of diesel, the better. Although it will make finding used vegetable oil a touch harder...)

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I think I get better mileage out of my 14-year-old V8-powered sedan...

7. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

quit whinging about ignorant people and get a train to be honest...

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The problem the US would have with dieselisation is none of your refineries are set up to produce diesel. Its actually a similar problem in Europe but we've had a bit more time to deal with it, we produce a **** load of petrol and ship it off to the US then we buy diesel from the FSU and the middle east.

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Why not get a Coach or Bus. Fits all ya luggage, and the wife and kids, ands there kids, and there kids, and maybe all there pets too:thumb: And will go for 2 days almost continious driving on one tank of fuel.

Sam

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

20mpg is a lot better than the 10-15mpg with out being hybrid

11. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

heh, my 21 year old Merc w124 E-class 2.5 litre diesel gets 775-920 km on 60 litres of diesel. That is good mileage. especially seen in the light that I rarely run on freeways with less than 160 km/h.
    Too lazy to recalculate into miles amd mpg at the moment, im dog tired.

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

There are people who need large trucks such as this, and so I applaud the efficency increases. The problem is people who don't need a vehicle that size, but drive one around town to enlarge their e-peen (M-peen?).

I've decided what I really need is a Smart car for 90% of my driving and a full size van for the occasions when I actually need to move stuff. A couple of weeks ago I took my tent, tables, all my inventory, and out camping gear and we went to the Highland Games in Kelso, then on vacation for a couple of days. That trip nearly killed my little minivan, so I do see the need for larger vehincles for some people.

13. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Nothing quite like having no transportation when you arrive at your destination, and last time I looked at the US railroad system in my area - I was not impressed - it would be quite a long drive for me to get to a station (granted, I live a long ways away from any decent sized cities).

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

As much as it pains me to do so, I have to agree with the Colonel on this one. The US Public transportation system is, by and large, a joke. You simply cannot get from point A to point B without a car in most areas. On the up side, you can rent cars almost everywhere, which is what I do if I need a specific type of vehicle for a short time.

15. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I can't agree more that the number as far to low. however any improvement is better then none. That said labeling it as a hybrid makes me worried i know that as far as tech is concerned it is hybrid but i can't help but feel that these number are going to hurt hybrid tech more then help it. I can see even now people looking at this and making the association whoopee gain for an extra $$$$K dollars is what hybrid is and just avoiding them.. I'd personally like to see base line numbers of 40 or more regardless of chassis to really get that hybrid label.

When it comes time for me to move onto the next car I'm for sure going to look @ the Prius and Camry which get 60/51 and 43/37 MPG respectably. And those numbers bring up another point.. they get BETTER millage in the city then on the highway.. I see this as the way it SHOULD be especially living in a city like chicago.. sure your commute may be on a highway but its just stop and go city driving without the stop lights the highway numbers don't apply.

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

When you think about it, that fuel economy is a milestone for GM.

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

that was my point. the germans make an 'uneconomical', uberpowerful sports car that's as economical as the american stupidities they knock out.

i say the americans should just give up on making engines altogether :p

18. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Very well put, and I totally agree, there is always a time and a place where such a vehicle is required, not so much over here in the UK because everything is 20 minutes away (i joke of course) BUT even so, you can put a turbo diesel in that truck with a small capacity that will produce the same amount of torque (which is what all the towing and shifting is about, mind bending torque) and nearly the same top speed I'd imagine. Yet you'd get more MPG and with modern diesels, they are clean.

19. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

lol I'd love to see americans with 1.2l Corsas or something..

20. koola

koola Minimodder

American cars just fail, do your self (and wallet) a favor and buy an fuel efficient import. In terms of mpg, GM is still in the dark ages.

Tags: