1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battlefield 2 problems and solutions... Post 'em here!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by FIBRE+, 12 Jun 2005.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

What annoys me is that when you use the chat functions, and press the key during typing a message for entering/exiting a vehicle (formally Enter for me) it activates that button press :mad: So unless you want to end up falling out a helicopter mid conversation you need to map that key to something you're unlikely to use. The keymapping is pretty poo to be honest all round, with too many hidden keys you can't change leading to odd results when you accidentally combine actions - e.g. I have the right mouse for crouch, so when I use the automatic radio responses, I momentarily stand up from the crouch to send it... tre annoying.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yeah there's two or three games out now that do this, it's part of thier copy protection.
    During the game install it scans your system for the likes of clonecd/dvd, alcohol etc, and if detected it won't allow you to run the game.

Fix, use a noCD crack (not stricktly legal, but what the hell you have on your hard drive is your business not EA Games)

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Solved my problem with laggy/jerky first few minutes of a new map. I tried everything to try and eliminate the fact that when ever I spawned on a new map, the game would move like a slide show ever so often for the first couple of minutes, before smoothing out into high frame lovelyness. I didn't really want to sacrifice my maxxed out settings and AA etc to try and cure it. As it was a very commonly reported problem, I put it down to dodgy netcode or something equally mysterious...

Bought another 1gb of RAM, no more problems. Now running with 2gb of DDR3200 and I could cry with happiness when a map loads as it runs perfectly on my maximum settings and everything without a hint of jerky frames or freezes.

4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

for the CD emulation... supposingly alcohol 120% version 1.9.2 build 1705 works with a image of bf2 but the later versions dont... also daemon tools will work the image..

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Ok does BF2 crash on anyone else. None of my games crash yet since I installed BF2 and play BF2 it crashes giving me a plain blue screen then reboots my PC. If it doesnt do this then it will kick me back to windows.

I am running a

AMD 2600 barton
    2x512mb DDR3200 OCZ EL Platinum
    ATI Saphire 9800pro 256MB Ultimate Edition with the heatpipe
    MSI K6 Delta Mother Board
    Creative Live drive Platinum
    3 x 120GB Seagate SATA NCQ drives
    1 x 120GB IBM IDE drive
    Lite On DVD-RW

All other games work fine and never crash but BF2 does it all the time and very random and can be between 10min-2hours of gameplay.

Very Anoying

Also I fine that the server select menu in internet play is very slow to respond and pauses for long lengths of time. Also the amount of players in a game stated on the server menu screen is incorrect. I try to get into a 3/64 game and then it says full yet after refresh and refresh it still shows 3/64.

Another thing thats dogy is sometimes it has been reporting evemy kills as team kills.

I tried this with a friend when it was happening and he want on china side and I was USA. We met up and I shot him. It came up with Phoenix[Teamkills}Raven

Now whats going on there.

6. Rufus-Seal

Rufus-Seal Guest

Well, more people having problem with crashing to the desktop. You should wait for the update for bf2. But, I reinstalled Windows and then installed Bf2 because I also had that anoying problem. And now is Bf2 running without crashes :dremel:

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

From what I've heard, it can be a bit crap about overclocked components for some reason with a number of people reporting that returning their CPU to its default clock speed solved the crash problem (are you overclocking?). Personally I have an overclocked 6800gt and I've had no such problem so I can't be 100% sure about this.

What I have found is that having my RAM set to the wrong CAS settings caused regular crashes and total bomb-outs in ONLY BF2 - I'd never bothered checking until this game, but my original 2x 512mb of Twinmos DDR was incorrectly configured in the BIOS without me even realising until BF2 bombed out on me.

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Question:how do u save to faveroites the server that you were playing on??? i have looked around but i cant see anything?

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you cant
    dunno if the new patch adds that as i havent had a chance to play since installing it

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Gamespy reckon the first patch will add Gamespy Arcade functionality - it hasnt come up on anything I've read regarding the patch out tomorrow though. The in game browser is sorely missing a friends screen and a favourite server filter... so far the only way round this is to use the cobbled together ASE wrapper as far as I can see. A real shame because I've met some awesome team players in BF2 (more so than any other game on public servers).

11. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

The patch is already out do a search on google for it.

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Out about 1.5hrs ago.

The ingame browser is 1000% percent better for me now. Very fast at updating the server list and it doesn't seem to hang either. Account login seemed much quicker too.

I'll need to play with it a bit longer to see what affect its had on the game engine (probably none I can tell with my system ;) )

13. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Problem:
    I click the bf2 demo icon on my desktop and then the screen goes black, stays that way for a couple of seconds then returns to my normal desktop. I tried reinstalling and restarting, whats wrong?

14. TMM

TMM Modder

Solution: Got a GeForce4? well unfortunately they won't play BF2 because of the lack of a certain shader. However there is a mod:
    http://dl.gamecopyworld.com/?d=2005&f=bf2shadermod!zip (copy and paste link intoa new window ;))
    though with that the gfx are kind of ghetto - but hey it works!

I've found that aswell - It doesn't like the CloneCD virtual drive but DaemonTools 3.47 works fine :thumb:

15. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Here's an odd one.

Problem:
    Everytime I click 'Login' at the Account screen, it takes a small age to log me in and then tries to add me to a random server! Why does it do this?

16. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Damn my GeForce4 Mx 4000. Thanks.

17. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, that happened to me when I clicked the "Play BF2 Online!" icon. But if you click the regular icon, it should work normally.

18. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I was so glad when the patch came out, installed it...

Problem

Norton Internet worm protection thingy keeps asking me to allow or block BF2 every few secounds when running the game.

Solution

Turn the sh*t off

Still cant change my controlls easily, not to impressed by the patch, im sure theyve fixed loads of stuff but theres some obvious ones theyve left out :sigh:

19. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Gamespy Arcade support is solid gold. Shame you still can't skip the EA and Dice movies when the game loads...

20. Springs

Springs Boing boing

TBH gamespy sucks... ASE is what i want support for....

also all you have to do to remove the startup movies is rename the movies folder in your x:/.../bf2/mods/bf2 directory then every movie has gone...