1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battletech

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 14 May 2017.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

It seems to have a deeper story than MC, but it is turn-based while MC was real-time.
    I adored MechCommander, even bought it second-hand a couple months ago, mainly for the manual.
    Am hopeful but not hyped.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  2. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Well it is turn based rather than real time like MechCommander, I'd say if you enjoyed any of the more recent X-Com and Shadowrun games you'll like this. I'd suggest having a look on You Tube and Twitch, a few people are playing it before release so that should give you a good idea of if you will like it. They also have some big names running the show including Jordan Weisman who created the Battletech franchise and Mitch Gitelman who was one of the designers of MechCommander and one of the producers for MechCommander 2. So there is a fair amount of reason to believe it will be very good and true to the canon.

There is a 20% off code (APRIL20) making it £27.99 @ Green Man Gaming. Or you could wait and I suspect it'll be one of these games that will drop in price fairly quickly after release.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the turn based combat works much better then it would do if it was real time, here you can actually take in the information of whats going on both on the field and in each of your mechs as opposed to MC's furballs and hoping none of your dudes fall over + having control over each mech is more fun then letting your AI pilots screw everything up.

imo BT is what MC2 should have been. the only thing that's going to hurt it imo is a silly design decision during the commander creation page to include pronouns as people are getting ****ed off with retarded liberal progressivism interfering with everything these days. its a minor thing which i dont think will effect much in the campaign but it raises questions as to what else is rattling around the campaign.

we'll find out in 2 weeks tho.

4. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

X-Com Enemy Unknown sold me on turn based being the way forward with these sorts of games. Like you say using the information about what is going on helps you plan and execute much easier without relying on wonky AI.

As for the pronouns I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest. People seem far too concerned these days with what other people are doing in the comfort of their own homes, rather than focusing on what they are doing themselves. Setting aside this is for the single player campaign and people can already call themselves what they want even without the pronoun options, you don't have to use it. At the end of the day it is a tiny bit of text that will have no effect on the story and it is down to the individual to select when they make a character, frankly as it should be. I'd rather a game be inclusive in this day and age as long as it doesn't get in the way of the core story and gameplay.

Personally I'm a lot more concerned that they have got the feel of the world right, the lore, the story, the maps and most importantly the mechs. If they nail that along with fun, engaging game play with easy to learn hard to master combat they'll have a winner on their hands imho.

Regardless with some of the original guys who helped create and shape the Battletech universe and the games I enjoyed in my youth in the driving seats, I don't think we'll have anything to worry about.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you want to be a nut job and pretend you're an apache helicopter in your own home that's fine, you start demanding society recognise it is a different matter and people are already saying they're avoiding BT because of it. i wouldn't be surprised if someone mods it out.

personally i think these people are ****ing idiots and im not entirely happy about having my backer money reinforcing their mental disillusions.

6. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I suspect it was just a simple case of the devs trying to be more inclusive with a simple bit of harmless text. Considering the shocking amount of discrimination for all manner of things in this world that really deep down don't matter to other people, I'm all for games being more inclusive. :). Honestly if anyone is avoiding this game because of a bit of text they'll see for 20 seconds and ignore (and I suspect there are plenty of people who talk big on the internet to fit in, feel like their voice is being heard etc but still buy the game anyways) then they are not actual fans of the franchise.

I totally agree that some can take it too far and the example you use is a extreme one. I do however think that using those extreme cases as an excuse to stop things like this that allow people to feel more inclusive is short sighted, especially when the bulk of people who will find this particular change a positive one will be well adjusted. To most people it is essentially meaningless but to a few; many of whom have been discriminated against for the sake of it, it could mean the world. Frankly regardless of who it makes happy and what their take on the world is, I'm all for that. Life is too short to fill it with pointless meaningless hate against people you'll never meet and never interact with in RL, never get a proper sense of what they are about that isn't from the overly bias mainstream media or the internet.

As for the misuse of your backer money, I'm of the opinion that if something really matters to you and isn't just a minor annoyance then you should voice your concerns to someone who can do something about. You want an option to turn it off, ask for it, get other people to ask for it. To me once you've backed a project like this that is it, you've essentially backed the people behind the project and their vision for the game. If you don't agree with that vision or changes they make further down the line then get a refund, swallow the loss and learn from it or sell the key/content on. I was very happy to back it just by seeing who was involved and feel very comfortable that they hold true to the their vision of the game and that the fans of the franchise will love the end result.

Anyways, lets get back on topic because this has the possibility to derail the whole thread. Anyone heard anything about pre-loading or key release dates for backers?

MLyons likes this.
  7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I doubt it's inclusion as one of their lead Devs is a mtf trans and this is merely ringing alarm bells about someone using the BT franchise to push their agenda.

We'l get an email about keys appearing in our backerkits on the run up to release.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

How dare a male-to-female transwoman develop a game?! And then have the temerity to think "hey, I didn't exactly fall into the 'are you a boy or a girl' box back in the day, maybe we should pop a few more pronouns in to make as many players as possible feel included?" DISGUSTING! DISGRACEFUL! MORAL DEGENERACY! IT'S POLITICAL MADNESS GONE CORRECT, I TELL YOU!

AGENDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Furrfu.

Oh, only just spotted this. Have a week off, Gunny. In fact, make it two. Come back when you're less of an intolerant dick. Or don't, 's up to you.

MLyons and Speed like this.
  9. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I think you are reading too much into it personally but I guess we'll see. For things to fundamentally change in the story or other areas the director and key members of the staff would have to agree as well, so it would be hard to fundamentally change a game at its core just to push an agenda as you suggest.

Just hoping we get our keys a bit before the release date so people have enough time to pre-load.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you done?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, but you are. You're banned for two weeks - and this is your final warning to boot, 'cos this isn't the first time you've been banned for hateful bigotry. If you come back, behave or the ban'll be permanent next time; if you don't come back, I shall shed no tears.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Pre-loading...

13. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Me too! Can't wait! :clap:

Edit: Disk space required through Steam was 25269 MB with a 8.6 GB initial download for anyone who is interested.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2018
  14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Picked it up yesterday for €28, was hard to say no to that price.

Pre-loaded overnight and raring to go! :D

Speed likes this.
  15. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Here we go.... please don't be ****, please don't be ****, PLEASE don't be ****!

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

had an email regarding all my backer goodies, the artbook is making pleasant viewing whilst i unpack it.

provisions have been acquired, tonight's dinner is pizza and the alchohol is on tap. this is going to be a good night. :thumb:

17. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Seems good so far

18. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yeah I'm enjoying it, had a few sound bugs here and there but beyond that its good stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on some of the heavy mechs!

19. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Got myself my first assault Mech today; a 100 ton'er at that! I present to you the King Crab KGC-0000:

[​IMG]
    *Click for 4K*

Ok she isn't pretty but she is a brute, the very first opening salvo I ever fired from her headshotted a undamaged Orion 75 ton heavy Mechs with one of her AC/20s giving me the Beta Strike achievement. It was an instant *smug mode activated* moment I have to say.

Really enjoying the game btw, I can see myself putting silly hours into it.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

The King Crab turned out to be my Solaris mech, replaced my HBR in D3.

Yeah, I am enjoying the game too, but am a little behind you in the progress, had to spend 140 days in the medbay (a HBK-4G headshotted me) and didnt want to advance the story without being in conditions.

Monitor the GPU usage as there is a wide spread bug that puts it at 100% all the time, there is already a beta patch for it. Went to 98% to 68% average, according to GPU-Z sensor.
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-1-0-1-release-notes-beta.1092920/
    There is also another bug that puts enemy re-inforcements in the initial wave. A bit of calm and called shots solves them.