1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows BBC Top Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 13 Dec 2010.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think you're over-egging it a bit.

Does it stand up to Clarkson-era Top Gear? No, not really.

Does it stand on it's own? Yeah, I think it does, but I'd like to give it a few more episodes before being sure.

I actually don't mind the guests introducing each other either - it was probably brought in to cut out a lot of self-absorbed waffling.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'd like to see Sabina and Chris H in a head to head duel - sort the men from the, er, woman.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Honestly, I think Sabine adds nothing.
    She makes me cringe more than anything.

She's fine as a guest occasionally, much like EJ.

As for Harris vs Schmitz - I'd watch that.
    Harris is no slouch (having driven endurance races in older mercs with David Coulthard on the team...), and Sabine is, well, a 'ring taxi driver.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just been reading a bit of news collation from recent weeks that says:

Ried + Harris to appear on the main show every week now. Their segments reviewed very well in Ep3.
    Affirmative that Evans will take a back seat and let Matt present.
    EJ even less popular than Evans.

At the end of the season I think we'll lose EJ for sure, and can only hope we'll see Evans go. I can't see MLB endearing himself to Ried and Harris though as their styles (and status') are very different. I've also not seen MLB actually 'prove' he's such a car nut too. For all the old 3's silliness they dropped the knowledge bombs pretty frequently that built an underlying respect.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jun 2016
  5. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

How can EJ be less popular than Evans? He's only been on the show for like 5 mins total ( yes, exaggerating :) ). His air time doesn't seem enough to even judge.

Chris Harris' segment on the Vulcan was great. That car is sex on wheels. I also enjoyed the main film this week. Evans didn't completely annoy me this time.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Eddie Jordan was useless in the S Africa episode (ep2?) - his driving was crap, he didn't switch the car into 4x4 mode and just looked like a little lost dog throughout the whole thing. I'm guessing he was supposed to be the James May character, but it just didn't work.

I think the BBC's strategy was to throw everything into the pot and see what works. Matt LeBlanc seems to be settling in better as the series progresses, Evans is just too shouty and hyper. I think they might need him as a foil to Rory Reid and Chris Harris to stop the programme becoming too much like Fifth Gear (even though that's allegedly not returning). Some of the films have been good, some mediocre (personally, I don't think the Ken Block segment worked, but I think that might be because he's not that well known in the UK - pandering to the BBC America crowd, perhaps?). They tried something different with the SIARPC interviews, but that's not really working either.

They're trying to find the best post-old gits Top Gear, and it may be a while before they hit the right formula.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The Ken Block one was basically a scripted advertorial. MLB is a good presenter but those segments need to be more spontaneous. I guess, like you said, that comes with time though. I don't know what he's done in the last ~10 years but I guess it's not been that unscripted. The relationships need to be built and his is only with CE.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I even enjoyed the stars in Ep3.
    Sure, it's ultimately filler, but the banter between them was good fun.
    The Ken Block bit was the weakest bit of the lot. Sabine Schmitz still cringeworthy-but-quick

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

People say the same about VBH, and I wonder if any woman can be accepted on a car show? What kind of person will it require? Both are very talented drivers who know their cars and the technical stuff, but it's a gut reaction echoed often.

On the track I don't mind her at all because she can really drive! I have to admit the studio stuff is a no for me because at best her presentation skills are not strong. The introduction of the Stig was very cringy, but that's also part MLB's fault imo. Too much focus on nationalities in this new TG.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jun 2016
  10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I personally found VBH acceptable to watch.

I think it has to do with the "german-ness" in SS that I don't like her much.
    On track, she is MIGHTY (and I would like to see her and Harris go head to head), but off track, she comes across as "mainly loud and mildly annoying".
    I'd hate male presenters that come across like that as well... wait... there's Chris Evans... yeah... I DO hate him as well...

Honestly, though. So far, the best presenters are those that get excited about cars. Harris wins there.
    Ried is not far behind. I thought his Focus RS bit was great (even if I don't agree with his opinion...)

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Sabine is quite a rare animal - a quick German female driver with a sarcastic streak. I think she's great! :)

Personally, I quite liked VBH too.

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Sarcasm is (in my experience) about 85% of German humour.
    So maybe that's why I am less enamoured by her... ahwell... at least she's proper quick. And making Evans hurl, well, let's just say that worse things have happened.

13. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

What the TG producers need to do is keep The Ginger Menace off the screen. The show immediately improves the second Evans is not present.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ep4: OK I take I back I laughed hard at EJ playing the spoons.
    Rory's segment was the best part though. I'm non-stop smiling watching about the Model X.

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Ep4 was surprisingly good imo

both car reviews were enjoyable to watch, and even the Star in the car was watchable, EJ was good ( horrific as that would of been to say in Africa ) the banter on the road trip had some laughs as well Evans seemed a little more subtle and it really helped him be a little less annoying,

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I like Ep4, it felt like the old top gear in a good way. The challenge is obviously scripted but it was still entertaining to watch. All three presenters in the challenge adds their own style and value.

But I still think Rory and ChrisH should be bought up to do more. The Beeb should develop those 2 talents into personalities rather than employ established personality to shoehorn into old TG format.

Tesla Model X is such a good SUV. The future is really here! Rory forgot to mention the self opening and closing driver's side door. It was definitely a much improved attitude compared to the dinasour's view on old TG for the roadster.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

One thing I hated about old TG was their total disrespect for anything new or electric.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

They really should get those two more involved, they both come across as though they enjoy what they are doing.
    Only bit of ChrisE I like was when he took the Longtail to 200 an looked really shaken about it. Still needs binning off though.

19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

I totaly understood the old crews hate for the yaris which almost rivalled the hate for the lada . One of the most boring cars to drive. My dad loved em but everytime ive had to drive his yaris to more ive hated them. Its almost like driving in a car sim you feel nowt.

20. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I enjoyed the latest episode except from the fact it wasn't a real 'challenge'. In the old stuff, they'd have a stupidly low budget and do their best with it, which made it entertaining. Like the old USA special where they had to buy a used car there for $1000. They all had unique vehicles and the problems were funny, and challenges felt like a challenge.

Giving them about £3000 to buy a car isn't challenging and I didn't find it exciting. No one broke down or had any real problems. About the best part was Matt's motorbike, which was fun seeing the chef needing to do a meal whilst driving. Seeing Chris brag about his Jaguar wasn't a high point.