TV Shows BBC Top Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 13 Dec 2010.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Tbh there's loads of things they could do or redo, especially some of the stuff from early episodes like buy a super car for less than 10k etc.

2. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

That AMG-Green(?) edition was awesome. It shows that there is a future for fast cars. Put a hydrogen tank and fuel cell in it and then range is no longer an issue. It would also be lighter for the same power....

Hovercraft was a bit meh. I could do it better myself. Deliberately cocking it up for laughs spoils it. Vietnam special was the best they've done so far. I reckon that if they stopped staging stuff, it might actually become more exciting.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Only on the assumption a hydrogen engine produces the same power, you can refuel it easily (where do I buy tanks of hydrogen?) and the platinum/palladium cells used to store it last (they are broken down by storing hydrogen and as you can expect they are super expensive). I'm sure there will eventually be alternatives to the expense of storage cells, but the refueling is a PITA and it also makes cars "bombs on wheels".

Otherwise - very good episode. HJ is the only SIARPC I've ever reeeeeally enjoyed and the hovercraft was genuinely funny, except, loooongggg. Could have lopped 10 minutes off and thrown another car test in there.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Jul 2013
  4. Constructacon

Cars have been running for years with LPG cylinders in them without being deathtraps. As for where to get it, I'm sure once cars look like coming on the market, stations will pop up. "If you build it, they will come."

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There is already a H2 refuelling network in California.

As to the HoverVan, it's been (sort of) done already:-

[​IMG]
    Amphicar (1961-1968)

[​IMG]
    Dutton Surf (1989 to date)

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah... it is a shame that they feel the need to out stage and scenario the old stuff. Lots, as you say, could be redone and still be more entertaining (to petrol heads at least) and worth a tune in.

7. Constructacon

They went to great effort to plant a field of some sort of crop that could have fuel made from at one point, but never followed through on it to show the results. There's one idea for a new story.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yes they did, they used the resulting bio-diesel to enter a 24 hour endurance race...

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's different. You can puncture an LPG cylinder and you'll get a large flame but it generally won't explode, but hydrogen is - afaik - kept under higher pressure and more akin to going bang.

I also don't remember this at all!

10. RedFlames

Series 10, Ep 9

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I remember that episode quite well. It's quite remarkable how little visibility there is on the onboard shots. Not to mention that Stig shows racing colours there again, which is nothing sy of impressive.

12. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Really enjoyed tonight's episode, seemed less scripted than previously and had a good few laughs.

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

A great episode i thought, Laughed through out.

Sam

14. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Totally scripted, especially the caravan feature. I'd be surprised if the caravans weren't strategically doctored so bits fell off. The bit that got me was "James has had the same idea as me..." no kidding - he followed the camera car.

Even knowing it's scripted, it was a joy to watch. Great episode.

15. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

THAT LAMBO :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

16. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

Another great episode, and I agree that Lambo :D

17. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

That Lambo...

...is so pointless. I get why hyper cars exist, but if it's not even road legal, buy an actual race car and participate in some championships - if you've got £2m to blow on a car, that makes more sense...

18. RedFlames

Wasn't there a zonda variant like that...

It's ****ing quick but you can't use it on the road, and it's not legal to go racing with...

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Not road legal??
    I thought their criteria for the wall was that it could be driven practically on the road ie over a speed hump, I didn't hear then say it wasn't legal..

Edit: only making 20 for track use, all sold out.
    I wonder what it'd take to put one on the road, I mean you've just spent 2 Mil on it so why not.

20. RedFlames

Road legal [and able to traverse a speed-hump] is is a requirement for the time *staying* on the board, they basically put the time on the board and then took it straight off again because the car's not road legal... similarly for the F1 car they had go round and the aeroplane...