1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress BETA

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gtek, 13 Aug 2010.

1. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

What's wrong with the video? I got embed code, put it into youtube tags, but its just a white field.

Any suggestions, please?

2. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

very nice

like thise

PHP:
    [YOUTUBE]pKsqeryk0u4[/YOUTUBE]

wolfie

3. Gtek

Yeah, thanx a lot Wolfie!

Throbbi likes this.
  4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Ho....ly.......s**t! I had no idea you we're doing all the moulding by hand! I kind of figured you'd be making the moulds and sending them off to be made up.

Now that is impressive :thumb:

5. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

I used to hand lay fibreglass for a living. Its really not that difficult once you have done it a bit. I havnt ever used it for any sort of pc work though so i am going to be watching this carefully...Nice work by the way:thumb:

6. Gtek

Yes, I agree, It's not that difficult if you do it right. However, this is not my case. I've tried to seperate the model from the mould this morning... but nothing happened :miffed: It looks like the mould release wax didn't work very well, resin got trough it and soaked into the body filler on a model. This is pretty much the worst thing that could happen, as I lost the whole model and the mould as well. I had to cut out the whole styrofoam part out, to see what actually happned. I will try to apply much more wax on the other part just to prove that this is a problem... but It's now clear that I will have to start all over again, or just abandon the project and forget about fibreglass... :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Oh sh*t man, not good at all. All that work gone to waste...You have my sympathy:waah:

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Nice project.. to bad that fiberglass got messed up. How about putting some acetone on the inside. This will hopefully desolve what ever is left of the blue foam and then you maybe can sand down the remaining resin. Just a thought, not shure how acetone will react to the resin though.

Good luck

9. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

What you could of done is used a pva mate...Or if it was my project i would of covered the foam in a Gel Coat...let that dry off..Then polished it up...Lay down some wax and then PVA....

10. Gtek

Thanx man...

I just finished fibreglssing the second part. I've used twice as much wax as with a first one so we will see how that works. And yes acetone... well the problem is not really that blue foam, it's that layer of body filler. I can sand it down, but its really hard to see how It will look like if I tweak the finish as a negative if you know what I mean. One is for sure, I'm not gonna use it as a form for an actual part anymore... but I'm thinking abut something else to save it...

11. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Yeah i just watched your video again mate and notived you never used any gel coat??

12. Gtek

You're right I didn't. I believed that resin will not get trough the wax... but it did... I will see how 5 layers of wax will work with the second part. I will try to separate it tonight...

13. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Goodluck with it mate...Keep us posted on how you get on...Can be very sticky even when using gel coat...Sometime we had to scrap whole lotus elise shells because we had to butcher them to get them out...Most of the time we had to use compressed air to remove them but that was just because of the sheer siz of the things we were moulding..Ohh and if you use gel coat you could make a plug that you could use over and over again and you will get a far better finish

14. Gtek

Well... I just separated second mould from a plug without a major problem. Slight cosmetic damage to the surface of a plug, but that is not a problem. Now I have one good mould, almost ready to be used for fibreglassing the actual part and one mould that I cannot use. And that is a problem... need to think about what next... :grr:

[​IMG]

15. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

glad the second one worked

wolfie

16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It may be too much effort and time but.....

Would it be possible to have the remaining mould vacuum formed and then redo the other section using the inside of the vac formed piece, i.e. as a negative? I haven't a clue about fibreglassing so i have no idea if the resin would react with the plastic used or anything like that or if the finish would be of a high enough standard when done the other way around.

Just came to me as the simplest option to try without having to remake the first mould. Its a real shame though, was looking forward to seeing these pieces together.

17. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Orrr ...Are,nt the 2 halves the same matey?So you can use your good mould to make both halves???

18. Gtek

Thanx guys for ideas, but the the other half is the mirror image of the first one, so I cannot do that. The only thing I can think about just now is, not using them as the moulds for the parts, but simply using them as the parts them self. This will need a huge lot of sanding to get the finish, but it's still more time and cost effective as going trough the whole process over again... imo

19. splashdream

splashdream What's a Dremel?

the failed mold doesn't appear that bad and you may want to use it to develop a fiberglass based plug. Even if the plug made utilizing the failed plug requires surface work it is far easier than re-sculpting the foam plug and starting over from scratch....just a thought :thumb:. Otherwise a beautiful case design and planned use of fiberglass..love the time spent building molds instead of slapping together a one time use fiberglass shell :)

20. Gtek

Hi, thanx for comment. Yes, fixing the mould and use it as planned was one of the options, but I'm going to use them as actual parts. I already started with cutting and sanding them down and I will bring an update probably tomorrow from that. Anyway, If I will ever need to replicate them I can always use the parts as plugs for making new molds...