1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Bit-Tech Folding@Home Team (CLOSED: now superseded by joint CPC/bit-tech team)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Byron C, 2 Aug 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

One day folding, team position: 55, 3 WUs, 723 points.

Stupidly only 4 machines took the team change automatically, I went round yesterday afternoon and did the rest by manually so now got all 15 folding for BT...

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Wow! n1 dude :thumb: :thumb:

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

How would you do that?

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Well as almost all of my machines are identical they use the same settings. I just changed the team using -configonly switch on one of the computers then uploaded it to all the other machines.

After they finish their current WU (credited to my old team) it will download the next WU and credit all subsequent WUs to the new team (bit-tech)

3 of the 15 machines I changed over I did manually as they are only in the room next door.

Oh, when I say manually I mean going to the machine, running with -configonly, changing team, then restarting the service.

5. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Woohoo, first post - FAH problems.

Hi,

I joined the forum yesterday and I noticed this thread. I've never used FAH but thought it was a good cause and decided to make a contribution to the BT team.

I'm a network administrator and therefore have access to several spare PC which lay around at work gathering dust, as well as my gaming rig at home.

To get started, I installed the console version on my main desktop PC and set it running. This seems to run fine on it's own. I then installed EMIII with the BT skin and set about getting it working. After a while I finaly got it to display my WU progress and it now works most of the time. I then installed the console version on a second PC, $ shared the install directory and added these details into EMIII on my main PC. The second PC is displayed ok but no progress appears and all the values remain as zero. However, the protein info appears and it says "Tinker Core Good". Have I done something wrong?

6. spacehopper

spacehopper What's a Dremel?

just added a few more machines to fold for us :)

14 celeron 2.6's running at 50% so they dont melt the room they are in... :hehe:

7. kenco_uk

crikey bob mate. :thumb:

8. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

is the second pc showing its first frame complete etc? EMIII calculates its progress figures *after* it has seen a frame complete (it needs at least one to predict the times etc). if the second machine is working fine, but your still seeing no progress reported on EMIII, check that your shares arnt cached, ive seen windows play silly buggers and cache the shared folder locally when EMIII is trying to read it like every 15 seconds. if all else fails, try restarting EMIII and making sure it has read permissions.

ive had the same(ish) problem with a samba share on the nix boxes, for some reason, EMIII always shows 0% progress, even though the boxes are processing fine. eventually it "cuahgt up with itself" and showed periodic jumps in progress, rather than its usual almost-instant reporting. for some reason, though, it always seems to pick up the core condition (hence the tinker core good).

if it still fails, i'll check how i configured mine (i have EMIII monitoring 5 shares and my own box) and see if theres anything funky, i cant remember off-hand, and im not at home atm.

good to see you in the team, btw :)

9. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Thanks for the help.
    It seems to be working fine now. I didn't have to change anything, I just left it alone while I ate lunch and it was working when I got back. I think it was something to do with either the first frame not being complete or a caching issue like you said. It's now caught up and is chugging away nicely, although a little slow.

I'm going to leave these two machines running untill they've finnished their first WU, then I'll see if I get any firewall issues. Once I've sorted that I'll see if I can get another PC or two folding.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited: 11 Feb 2005
  10. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

_DTM2000_ - Welcome aboard! Glad to hear you're little problem sorted itself out.

@spacehopper - you're racing up the table mate! I think we could well have a new contender for the top spot before too long. We'll have to see how Atomic gets on....

11. spacehopper

spacehopper What's a Dremel?

might have to install it in a few more rooms then! :hehe:

might have a play with SETI too :worried:

its all in a good cause!

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Crikey the team is increasing in numbers quickly!

13. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Sure is, Zidane and my constant pimping of the team is finally paying off. We've been growing in numbers since Christmas ish but the news thing on the front page helped.

Hopefully we may get another mention once we hit the top 200. :thumb:

Now all we need is someone to sort the code for the stats in the sigs. I'd have a go myself but I just don't have the time at the moment.

14. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

I've been investigating this stats in sigs thing. A script has already been developed by a guy called Christoph on OCForums.com which I think will do the trick. It can be found on this thread. The instructions given on there are pretty comprehensive, and are better than anything I could re-write here. OCForums uses the same vBulletin software as bit-tech.net, so it will work here just the same as it does there.

As long as they don't mind us using their script :worried:, all you need to do is download it.

However, before you follow the instructions, open mksig.txt in a text editor and find and replace every instance of http://www.ocforums.com/ with http://forums.bit-tech.net/ (and I mean every, or else it won't work properly). You might also want to replace the name in the line that says "Please enter your OC Forums username".

When it asks whether to auto-update, I would advise you to select no, because an updated version will point back to your non-existent sig at OCForums. You can always update manually anyway, making sure you replace all instances of ocforums as before.

I have tested this already, and it definitely works with bit-tech. However, that is just the beginning because it only deals with the auto sig generation so far. Next, you need to mess with the perl script in order to generate your personalised stats sig. It appears to work equally well for seti/boinc as for f@h and there are examples on how to grab the stats from stanford in the instructions at OCForums.

Have fun playing with it :thumb:

15. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

Thanks for that :thumb:

16. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

WooHoo, finally got that signature thing working. It only took me 2 hours. :sigh:
    Just needs jazzing up now, maybe after a little sleep...

17. kenco_uk

Congrats to jetsetjimbo for getting into the top 5,000 producers this week.

And also congrats to spacehopper100 for charging up the ranks, gaining your first 10,000 points on the way.

Well done to everyone so far. We're positively smokinn' our way up the ranks atm!

:thumb:

team user stats

Who we'll be overtaking soon!

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Done mine

19. kenco_uk

Won't work for me. The only thing I can get it to do is display the template for the data, but it's not picking the current data up, for some reason. Given up for the moment but might try again when I've got a spare hour or two :)

20. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

broke 1000pts yay

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.