1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming bit-tech's Multi-Core Gaming Server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Sep 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. RTT

RTT #parp

3. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Nice system. Too bad I have a wedding at 5. I mean who has a wedding at five in the evening on wendsday?!?!

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I shall be there, and, the system looks lurvly :D - I can't imagine the power in that thing, but I can assume it's rather enjoyable to use.

5. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

:dremel:

Show off!

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Not half!

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

damn. I dont think I'll be able to download CS:S quick enough as I've not re-dwnloaded it since format :duh:

::EDIT:: Only 900MB or so to download, which is good. The bad however is that I'm only on a 1MB connection. Oh yeah.. that and I suck at CS:S anyway :p

Is the prize.. the server? (wishful thinking)

Last edited: 5 Sep 2006
  8. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

"Right now, we can't tell you exactly what our gaming server is running - not until the Intel Developer Forum at the end of September"

So does that mean it's not a cloverton ES?

9. planki

planki ...

doh, might have to start playing cs again!

10. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

The server looks great - hoping to visit it tonight when I get in from work.

One minor point:
    I had XP as a games server and found the max connections limit of XP limited it to 10 players.

11. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

FREAK out!!! I cant wait till my 10meg line is up and running to get back into CS again. :lol: w00000

12. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

why don't i have counterstrike :duh: ahh well good luck for the others

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Why am I on a laptop??

Damn you Bit-Tech!

14. Rascal

Rascal What's a Dremel?

why?

Nice hardware spec, but why on earth did you install windows 64bit as the base operating system?? Runing VMware is absolutely a good thing to do, but is severely hampered by not using it as the base operating system itself. Did you do this because of the VMware ESX licencing cost? coz you are loosing out on a big chunk of performance by not truely virtualising.

VMware ESX should be the base OS with windows 2003 64bit running as a virtual alongside linux etc.

Seems like a big waste of 8GB ram and 8 or so cores.

The other oversight seems to be the lack of SAS drives. Disk I/O is incredibly important when virtualising, particularly when you have multiple VM's residing on the same physical disk. SATA is inadequate for a server of this nature.

Lastly, where is the 4th SATA drive...I see only 3 external bays, is the other on an external SATA connector or internally mounted?

Explanation please...as it's an interesting project.

....sorry to be picky, but you want to build a cheetah right, not an elephant.

15. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Christ almighty!

I shall be there!

16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Woah. I remember there being some hints of something to do with a bit-tech server, but this is just awesome. Hopefully it'll be advertised on the front page more, as the old one wasn't really well publicised and so was nearly always empty.
    Nice one guys :thumb:

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Force refresh the front page ;)

18. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Three words - work in progress :D Definitely taking your comments on board, we have lots of work to do on the server before we're done with it! :dremel:

19. Spode

Spode What's a Spode?

Hi There, cheers for replying (especially as you've registered especially to do so).

I'm sure it was mentioned in the review that this is being done in joint with Trusted Reviews, which is where I'm from if you don't recognise my name straight away.

I compeltely agree with your sentiments. I didn't want to install Windows as the base OS. However, some of this hardware is still in alpha, and we had a few issues with the RAID setup. As this wasn't finalised and would probably involve a re-install at some point, we figured this would do for the moment. We'll be following up on the article once we get these issues figured out and virtualization going ahead fully.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a virtualization geek (yet), and I was under the impression VMWare it had to be installed on to an OS in the first place (I was going to put Fedora x64 on there). Looking up ESX, it would seem a considerably better way of going. Now it's just a matter of finding the funds for the license ;)

As far as SAS, for running gaming servers - I wasn't convinced the IO was going to be particuarly important as it'll be mainly running from memory? No?

20. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I thought I remembered Tim hinting at something :D

Edit: ah I see the advert on the front page now. Is that going to be a semi-permanent thing, or are you going to find other ways to publicise it?

Tags: Add Tags