1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. kellyon

kellyon New Member

Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan, I'd say 3/5 as a standalone but 4.5/5 as a continuation. It's part of the Wheel of Time series (the 7th book) and famously the first of the 'slowdown' books where there is more of a focus on world-building and fleshing out characters than on moving the plot forward. I really liked it, but it's not my favorite of the series.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

I've been toying with the idea of reading the Wheel of Time series for ages, as I quite like Brandon Sanderson. Well, no, I love him. But Wheel of Time is a huge undertaking. Is it worth it?

3. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Sandworm by Andy Greenberg, all about the hacking crew and the new era of government sponsored cyber shenanigans. Really interesting read and quite scary if you sit and think about some of the things they've already done like turning off the power grid . Serious business, some of it could be right out of a Hollywood movie.

4. David Clark

David Clark New Member

Think and Grow Rich is the book that I'm currently reading.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The History of Bees was a very interesting and different take on a sci-fi story.

Read Fahrenheit 451, loved it, shockingly accurate in its description of many of today's issues in society. Followed that up with In A Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu. These old tales with their (as we may see it today) naivety and slower pace, pretty innocent by today's standard, coupled with the archaic language.... Love it.

Now reading a Jack Reacher novel. Just some very relaxed reading which let's you turn off your brain. Sometimes that's just nice.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Well-Known Member

Same here lol, love Brandon Sanderson and been toying with WoT. I actually started WoT a couple times but I don’t know if I have it in me to stick around for the long haul.

I find the LotR-esque (LotR - Lord of the Rings) story doesn’t quite grip me as much as other epic fantasy series such as Malazan or Game of Thrones

In other news, just heard about Isaac Asimov in another thread and started reading his Foundation. Loving it! I find the writing relaxing yet engaging. Kind of writing that leaves you with warm, pleasurable feelings. Only criticism for now is it looks like quite a short book! I have a feeling I’ll be left wanting more.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2020 at 08:08
  7. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Dont worry, there are plenty of other Azimov books/series. Just move on to the rest of the Foudation if you're enjoying it, the later ones are longer!

8. hamza_tm

Ooh that’s exciting! Looking forward to savouring some more :happy:

9. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I assume you saw my post in the Vidoes of Awesome thread?

10. hamza_tm

Yeah thanks! Planning to read them in the order of being written as you recommended

MadGinga likes this.