1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Carbide - 98% Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Furball Zen, 16 Oct 2012.

1. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Thanks, appreciate it :)

2. Asouter

Asouter --------

That's just such a nice colour, the flake in the black gives a fantastic effect :thumb:

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Talking to self, kinda get used to it & then all of a sudden there's a bunch of replies to remind you it's not a ghost town. :lol:

All looking good Zen, keep it moving forward like you have, :) should do the same myself. :blush:

4. Furball Zen

Thanks, but its a two step process :)

Yea, seems that way :) And i appreciate you coming in and commenting :)

5. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Really liking the results so far.

And if you do keep the solid trim piece- don't flake it. That would overdo it just a little. That and the lining pattern on it makes it look slick :cooldude: But I feel confident you'll keep the mesh so I have no complaints.

6. Furball Zen

7. Furball Zen

Well its been over 2 weeks since an update...its been slow on the modding front as ive been focusing on getting my house cleaned up, one so i can install my new custom desk my friend Bill is making me, two so i can use that desk as a dual purpose space since we got approval to work from home up to 20hrs/wk so ill need space for my work laptop and 3 22" monitors ;)

I dont have much in the way of modding photos, been mostly doing some wiring and wire management, but i wont disappoint too much :)

Behold, twin 4890 OC Editions...CARBIDED!!

First pic is of a test subject. I wanted to use fluorescent yellow acrylic to make back plates, but once painted black on front/back it turned dark green and wouldnt transmit light along the edge well enough to warrant using it. So i cut my losses and turned to plain black with the same semi-gloss black/metal flake treatment (if you wonder why i would paint black acrylic black, its so the surface would be the same as the rest of the other pieces).

[​IMG]

And how the first one turned out

[​IMG]

Before...

[​IMG]

After ;)

[​IMG]

8. Furball Zen

Ok ok ok OK!!! Ill post an update! Geesh :)

CCFL circuit box and drain port assembly

[​IMG]

9. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Hoping to see some pics of this desk too ... looking at the gallery link in post #47, it looks like your friend Bill does some seriously nice wood working.

10. Furball Zen

Yea, he does seriously nice everything. The only thing is, its a simple desk, no drawers or cubbies, just a work surface and monitor platform. Ill be covering the top part of the desk with toolbox drawer liner though. It should be done today so ill get pics up when i can :)

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

Looking forward to those pics ? Yeah I sure am

12. Furball Zen

Wow.. he sent me one from his cell phone, the shelf part is too small for nearly 60" of monitors (three 21.5" 16:9) but it looks pretty dang good :)

13. Furball Zen

Ok, i dont really like the 'crappy' pics, but such is life :)

The back piece of tape is where 12" hits in relation to the front edge, so maybe 30 or so degrees of a cut and flip of a 1" x 12"and some shaved off the backside so its 8" on the outer edges.

[​IMG]

Ignore the drywall mud, he lowered the triangle slightly since i was originally going to use anti slip toolbox drawer liner to cover the desk but cant find the right stuff, so we are going to at the very least put some poly-urethane or some other stuff on pretty thick to coat it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfectly laid out with plenty of room :)

[​IMG]

14. Furball Zen

15. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Hummmm someone needs to learn how to fix dry wall!!!LOL. Nice build and I think the colors go well together. Can you elaborate on how you do the metal flake painting? It looks really nice but you said it was a 2 step process. If you could expand on that It would be appreciated. I like your attention to detail and the desk looks great so far.

16. Furball Zen

its not drywall and im opting not to paint it since i dont have that color and dont want to keep that color, so itll get painted later.

Im pretty sure i outlined the 2 step process but ill add a little more detail since you asked.

Most of the time you do not need any kind of prep when you use quality paint (think automotive vs. Rust-Oleum) and you know what youre doing. Even then all that may be needed would be some scuffing unless youre going for a show quality finish that will be judged in a contest as it were. Most people go over the top (with the prep and steps and 50 coats of primer) and dont need the kind of finish that say MNPCTech does as a business and case competitor, but that doesnt mean a really good finish needs a lot of work either. (note, for some of the thin skinned people here this does NOT mean i am insulting you if you take all those steps!!)

This two step process is simply, semi-gloss black followed by metal flake clear. Thats it. The only prep is drying time lol.

I appreciate everyones comments, i just wish there were a bit more like some threads who have a 1/3rd of the views :worried:, but hey, ill take what i can get :thumb:

17. Furball Zen

Needed a spacer for the drain port :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I did read the entire thread but I really appreciate the fact that you explained it further. I may have missed the full explanation. Does your chipset or NB get that hot it needs it own cooler? just curious. You are doing a great job BTW keep it up and I look forward to more updates.

19. Furball Zen

Yea on the old 5000+ BE with an 800Mhz OC it would get really hot but no water block i can find fits. The SB not so much, but an MCW30 fits on it so why not.

20. Furball Zen

Getting close to being done!!!

The last thing i needed to fab up was the HDD 'rack/cage/thingy' to mount the two SSD's and Velocitraptors.

[​IMG]

I also carefully cut a fill port in the top tray and also as carefully drilled and tapped a port into the XSPC bayres right beneath it and installed a piece of tube in between the Swiftech fillport and fitting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case in its current completion

[​IMG]

The only things left to do other than the obvious tubing is an RGB LED strip and UV CCFL's. Then ill fill it with PrimoChill SysPrep/distilled water mix and run it for a few hours, drain and fill with PrimoChill PC Ice UV Purple coolant.