1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Cities: Skylines

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 3 Mar 2015.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm sure it's a bug as well. My services eventually caught up with the backlog of dead people, but it gutted my city and economy - thankfully I had 3mil in the bank to tank the damage. The drop in income is because all your taxpayers up sticks and leave, killing your tax income for residential and commercial/industry as the businesses have no workers.

2. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

In that case I demand the ability to institute martial law when the death toll triggers, the federal authorities from the central government should lock down the exits to my city limits, fly CAP over the airports, blockade the sea ports, disable the rails! no one leaves! :)

I was about 2.5 mill in the plus to not too worried initially, but was concerned it might not recover. They got some work to do on this patch. I very much look forward to seeing more mods and Dev changes/improvements.

There is already a good mod on the steam workshop that 'auto demolishes' burned out buildings which I hope becomes a standard feature.

Can anyone tell me the relationship between the RCI and office zoning? I see a fair few of my citizens are 'over educated' and I presumed I have not provided them enough of the right kind of employment. The RCI, to my knowledge gives no indication of a need off office zones, just your standard GBY for residential, commercial and industrial.

3. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

my city is slowly eating itself, so I built a big bridge, made a small luxurious district on an island and if they don't sort out the dead bodies tonight I'm going to demolish the city and start over on the same map with my little settlement and a much bigger budget. At the centre will be a giant landfill, surrounded by crematoriums, with highways in all directions. That'll learn them!

I'm enjoying this though the spells of abandoned building whack-a-mole could be alleviated if I could set a policy to demolish abandoned buildings :/

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It'll sort itself out, you just have to let the simulation run and wince as your glorious high rises collapse in to dust. My population eventually rebounded back to 70k, but it altered the population density and I've got some socking huge holes where high rises once stood. I'm sure they'll fill in eventually!

Office zones fall under industrial demand (oddly). Means you can actually run a city entirely without polluting manufacturers once you've unlocked office zoning.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh god! Dead bodies everywhere for me too now!

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Now that is useful info!
    One of my favourite things in the region play in SC5 was to let the demand for dirty industrial jobs be satisfied within the wider region by other players, while I focussed on cleaner cities.

Assuming my population recovers, I may well contain the industrial to it's own super complex, well linked by road, train & underground and then demolish all industrial outside of that complex.

See if I can mitigate most of the pollution impacting the people.

7. Parge

Also, offices are a great sound barrier near roads. They don't create any sound of their own, and don't pollute etc.

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Also very useful. Cheers :)

While were on a roll, lets talk Hydro Electric Dams. So the description implies up to 1600MW of power depending on the flow of water. I get 80MW out of my current dam. Is there a way to actually see the flow speed of the water? I know I can see the direction of flow from the water tab, but it's weird that I could find no location, despite how wide, narrow or fast flowing the water looked that would actually generate a worth amount of power.

9. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

There is a mod that automatically does that. Although I saw someone say that if you just ignore them they will become occupied again after a month.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

'tis true. Problem is, with the Death Wave bug you get huge numbers of abandoned properties all at the same time, which then drives down land value and it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle.

11. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Indeed Useful. I didn't realise this, but it does make sense now.

Ok so I have built a couple of dams (One flooding my city because I didn't think of the fact that the water will rise :duh:) and I have noticed that the higher the banks to the side of the river are, the more output you will get, as you can create a very large dam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ah oh, I had a map with a lot of water but fairly low banks compared to your screen shot. Appreciate the effort there, thanks!

I'm glad you flooded your city so I don't have to ;)

13. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

I have noticed that my dams seem to turn off when not needed and don't let any water flow through at all! Just a warning as I had my water supply come from downriver of one and it ran dry...

14. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

It's the little things like these that make the game so awesome!

15. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Downloaded and started playing with the "infinite money" mod turned on, just to get to know the game..

Pretty f-ing great game!

I need to post printscreens when I finish work today :)

I think I will remove the airport I made, as it was done without planning consent :p

16. Parge

I'd totally avoid that if I were you. Since there is no real end game, or disasters etc, the game's main (and not that hard) challenge is managing your finances, and choosing how and where to spend the cash you have. Your call though.

By the way, some really good tips and towns on the CS subreddit, including this one about road layouts

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've not got the game yet but I've been watching a few videos of Cities Skylines and this one stood out. The game looks amazing.

18. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

As I mentioned, I did it to get to know the game, so that I have some kind of basic idea of what works and what does not when I start a new map later..
    planning is important :p

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

How resource-intensive is this game? I was looking at the minimum and recommended specs and the recommended specs in particular seem quite high - how are those with lower than the recommeded specs finding it?

I assume that the reason that they're recommending 6GB of RAM and an i5 is to avoid issues once your city becomes massive...

20. Parge

It appears to be very well multi threaded. However, as you say, once your cities become bigger, it will really eat RAM and CPU cycles. I get a bit of slowdown, even on a 970 and 3570K at 4.2GHz when I zoom in an spin round at speed.

Doesn't support 32bit OS' either.