1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Cities: Skylines

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 3 Mar 2015.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

So I'm having a weird issue with my saved games..

I play a few hours, get my city to a few thousand, save it and close (to the cloud as well) and then when I load it up I just get this:

[​IMG]

Ive had a look around and cant seem to find a fix to it. Ideas?

3. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

I just got this game on Friday and although there are a few issues of annoyance I really enjoy the game and it really does flush the hours away. Seem to have lots of deaths and had to restart quite a few times.

Finally got up to a fairly decent size (circa 10k atm) and expanded in to a second square which I have been determined to plan much better and hence have created what is probably best defined as a ring road. But yeah really enjoying it so far :D

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

It can be worthwhile purchasing second plot as soon as the option was available.
    For me it made redesigning my city a really simple task as I could relocate all my Industrial zones into their own plot of land so that the Residential and Commercial properties would be much happier and advanced quicker.

It also made traffic almost a complete non-issue, along with the problem of places becoming abandoned too often.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

[​IMG]

64,000 and still growing fast!

6. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I really like the construction on the ridge lines. Looks really cool.

I hit 120 000 yesterday, with a crazy growth of 800+. But then death struck and I had to redesign some parts, dropping the population by 10 000.

Also, my demand for commercial zones just is not dropping. I had to build huge shopping sections and had to use suburbs that were planned for residential. I think it has something to do with the fact that at some point the commercial zones were not making money and a whole lot of them were abandoned and now the demand is just sky-rocketing.

7. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

How are things with the game now? Are there still dead body and traffic issues with the latest updates?

8. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

I picked up Skylines over the weekend. I quite liked Simcity 2013 and skylines feels lacking in polish. The ui isn't great and it's missing key features. No recycling centres? No entertainment buildings? No ability to upgrade roads?

I'm hoping the holes will be filled with patches and mods...

9. Parge

Errrr recycling centres are already modded in, as is upgradable roads.

10. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

I thought they might be, but I expected them to be part of the base game really. I didn't expect to have to add mods to provide fairly basic features (like auto-save!!).

I'll start exploring mods this week.

11. Parge

Auto save is also in there. Are you playing the same game as the rest of us.

12. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Upgrade roads with the upgrade road icon ? Works for me. Entertainment buildings ? There are loads of parks and unique buildings that provide entertainment. Recycling centers are one click away, as is auto-save.

Those 13 Finnish people did a really good job imo, you could even play the game from day one, I've had 0 crashes, and I have over 200 mods and assets installed. Nothing but stable from the beginning for me. Not sure what kind of polish you were expecting, but the stability is better than most AAA titles I've played the last few years.

So great game imo, hope you have a good experience with it.

13. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Thanks, found the road upgrade button! I like how you can upgrade class too (if you have space)

Parks and entertainment? I can only see half a dozen or so, there's not much choice. Maybe I'm yet to unlock more? I haven't unlocked many unique buildings either.

I think I'm just too used to SimCity and foolishly believe that's the way other 'sim city' games should be. I did really like the building upgrades feature though, that's sadly missing.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Do you mean the modules you added on to certain buildings in Sim5 James? For example, adding more rooms and ambulances to the medical centres/hospitals? If so then I agree, was one of the first things that I missed.

I couldn't see that many parks either, maybe we're both missing something? Shame you can just zone an area as park. In gaps between my roads/houses I've started using the pedestrian paths and trees to do make shift parks. Looks pretty good though wish I could do more. And put the Parks on the pedestrian paths too.

15. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

It's true that variety isn't the games strong point, but mods really help with that. Like I said, 13 people had only so many resources, but what they did with those they had is really remarkable. Check out parks in the workshop, I like Largest Park set (a set of 6 parks you can put together to make a "Central Park" area. It's not beneficial to the cims per say but looks very nice when put together.

I'm really serious about the workshop though, the games only fault I've had is the lack of variety but the workshops 30,000 mods quickly solved that for me. Now I have to many mods :)

16. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Yes, I loved the add-on modules and upgrades, it just made more of the resources IMHO.

I'll check out the park mods and adding ped paths, I haven't delved into that yet! It feels a bit like cheating when using a mod though :/.

17. bleugh

bleugh Hello

I can't get in to it, I got it for 25p on release though so that was nice :D

Never played sim city or the like so finding it very hard to follow.

18. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

It's now possible to have Road, and Rail tunnels, Building them in the same manner as Bridges and elevated rails, only Press Page Down, not Up :thumb:

[​IMG]

Sam

20. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Hooray! I loved SimCity 4, and I can't wait to try out this. Thanks ferret141 for posting that awesome link ;)