1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [COMPLETED]Project : Ghetto Art by AnG3L (Video from Campus Party Granada)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AnG3L, 1 Sep 2011.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

OK... Remember what said about slowing down?:lol: I almost missed this one too. I agree that you have put too much work into this to call it 'ghetto'. -also you missed out on calling it 'MASTER SPLINTER!'

2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks bro, yeah you almost got it! ;) Very close to that dimension.

LoL I do remember Cheaps :lol: I did stopped for almost 2 months cause I moved but now I gotta hurry for Campus Party and the end of the year! So 2 projects, 1 house (food, laundry, cleaning) and I guy! Master Cheesecake I believe looolz ;) Thanks for passing by my friend! :)

3. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

You know, you use these primitive tools at times, that seems like you couldn't do anything fancy with them! Than you take those tools and fabricate some styling into your medium and it turns out Great!! I didnt think you could take a wheel grinder and some wood and make something interesting looking out of that combo.

4. matt...

matt... Slacker

so shall we start a sweepstake on what colour this beauty will end up? I've given up trying to guess what Alex's builds will look like but surely the colour shouldould be easy to guess? right!?!?

5. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Looking good Alex :thumb: When you say stealth switch does that mean it will be hidden behind a panel?

6. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Sheesh. Always at it and always surprising us. Keep it on ;)

7. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Missed the beginning!

Hey, Bit-tech admins - that feature about being notified when certain users starts a new worklog that I requested last month is getting more and more needed! :)

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Slow down Alex! I can't keep up!
    More great progress, even when you don't do expensive stuff, it's guaranteed to turn out great!

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks buddy your comments and presence are always welcome and appreciated!! :)

LoL that one would have been easy as I said in the beginning that it will be royal oak with gold and silver leaves and black the rest! But the varnish I choose is the Georgian Oak eventually! ;)

Thanks bro! Yes it will be hidden under the case! :)

;) Full of surprises! I will change my name to Surpris-el lolz ! :) Thank buddy more to follow!! :)

Hopefully they will listen one day lolz :hehe: Welcome aboard my friend, glad to have you here!

I would like to slow down my friend cause I have many other things that I must do except modding but now I have to rush for the Campus! Thanks Kiddo nice to see you commenting here! :)

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Relocating the optical eject button looks like you did a good job on it :) quite a lot done there, good solid progress :).

11. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks bro, not something difficult but it was a must in my case! :) More soon!

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Update today one step before the finish line! Stay tuned! :)

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:) I hope when my experience rises further I can put together a nice scratch build so swiftly :D you done a great job with this Alex so looking forward to the result :thumb:.

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

@Waynio You have the skills my friend to do anything you like, dont be afraid to work and learn every available material and enjoy the ride!!

Now the update I promised maybe late as it 4 o clock in the morning right here!

I ve worked many hours on this mod and I am finally one step before the finish line.
    Lets move on as I am really tired and I need to go to sleep ASAP!!
    I created some stands for the top part out of some aluminum L shaped bar.
    Drilled some holes, added threads and ready for painting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next thing I had to do was the left side of the case. A similar design like on the other side with only difference the "hidden" DVD tray.

[​IMG]

I had to use 1mm aluminum as the wood only was too thin for the tray. I was breaking my mind to find a proper connection solution between the DVD tray and the exterior and after a lot of thinking I decided to do some threads on the DVD tray and use a screw with 2 riveted threads for easy removal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hole for the stealth dvd button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By using some polishing paste I removed most of the rust and imperfections but unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the process....

[​IMG]

Added some threads on the hdd cage in order to attach it on some kind of rails for easy removal.

[​IMG]

And now the painting and aging process. That was the most difficult part of this mod. I will explain what I did and I will let the pics talk afterwards. I first applied the Georgian Oak varnish(2 layers) and then I applied 2 layers of golden leaves on the different designs. After 2 days I removed most of the varnish with paint remover and I left only a thin layer intact. By using a flame torch I burned the gold and the varnish and by using a steel brush I scratched the parts with the golden leaves. I then applied 2 more layers of varnish and 2 more layers of gold and I repeated the process till I managed to get the effect I wanted. It took me 5 days but there was no easier path for the desired result!

Here are some pictures of the first steps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cable modification was the next step!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DVD rom and HDD rails attached.

[​IMG]

And the cage in place!

[​IMG]

As you might wave noticed all the aluminum and steel parts are painted. The paint I used was black hammered one as I wanted the pieces to fit with the rest "old" look.

PSU modification on the way.

[​IMG]

Lunch time guys (I am cooking!) with 2 different marinated chicken fillets! Side dish was fried potatoes and a homemade sauce that is wicked!

[​IMG]

Fan added and also some wires. I will leave you with the final results of the aging process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I will leave you with a picture that might get you for a late night fridge searching adventure!!!

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading my worklog guys till next time, peace!

dark_avenger, Karrek and Waynio like this.
  15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Alex my friend that is just awesome :jawdrop:

Ghetto??? It's art!!! :thumb:

You have me raiding the fridge shortly with your cooking talents also :hehe:

16. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

This guy grabs a few pieces of MDF, some balsa wood, some stain, a bit of glue and without even blinking an eye he drops an antique cabinet on us?
    Guys spend months and months trying to get half the level of quality that you achieved on this one man... And you call it "ghetto modding"... :shock:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Awesome food awesome creating :jawdrop: happy days :thumb: just had a tuna mayo toastie so no need to go fridge raiding :hehe:.

The textures & close up shots look amazing, happy to see an excellent artist modding, the more I see of your work the more I am getting interested in art :D sweet stealth tray also mate.

:jawdrop: Earthy looking, stylish, great function & a feast for the eyes :) I'm quite sure this will impress at campus party I know I really like it, was gawping at it for quite a while then :D.

Rep totally due :hip:.

18. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Ditto. +rep for amazing work. Love the finish on this!

19. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

So you paint it, then remove some, then burn it, scrub with wire brush, repeat and tada. Beautiful finish with depth and character.

Alex you are a very good artist :thumb:

Great work on the inside, +1 for making removable and continuing the look.

Oh your cooking looks wonderful as well :) :)

20. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

nice build and absolutely awesome finish...