Planning Corsair Obsidian build (PSU fully sleeved)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 15 Sep 2009.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Oh god, it all went wrong...

Started off well, got about 8 of the ATX cables removed and tagged....

[​IMG]

then this happened...

[​IMG]

Normally, that isn't so bad once you get the clip out for the end of the cable....

normally....

Then it was followed by this....
    [​IMG]

Sh**.

Now I need to source ATX cable clips...

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oh dear. You could try a 20pin to 24pin ATX adapter from eBay if you don't have a spare PSU about.

How did you sleeve the connectors for the case SATA power cable thingy? Does it come apart?

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Yeah, the caps just pop off the various power connectors.

I have an old PSU from a PII 266 lying around, so I will raid that for the retention clips, I don't forsee any problems there.

I just kind of panicked when this happened. I'll not do any more tonight for fear of stress :D

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Very wise - too easy to have a 'mare under pressure. I've been there, making things worse trying to correct stupidity. :hehe:

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, pretty much finished the PSU now. There is 1 cable still in the connector.

This far, 3 cables have gone bust on me. The side locks wedge into the connector and the teeth on the pin remover are too flexible to correct it.

Gotten very annoyed with this and I can only hope that the MOBO auxillary power and the PCI-E cables are a little more forgiving.

I am currently removing the broken clips from the connectors (may just buy a new 24-pin connector) and then I will scrounge 2 (maybe 3) new clips from the old PSU.

The thing that has me worried the most is whether or not I can get them to attach to the cables properly.

Would I be better off getting them soldered?:worried:

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Just to throw up a query,

Would I be better off just soldering the cables onto old connectors.

I think this might be a better option than trying to pry open salvaged connectors from an old PSU and then trying to secure the wires. I have one done, but getting ALL the wires under the grips is damn hard with the limited toolset I have.

So, Soldering - yay or nay?

Thanks to any and all input.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, ended up getting this sorted.
    Re-soldered the broken cables and got them all sleeved.

The base of the PSU is a bit ugly, but, there ya go. I have some plans for hiding the base of it anyway and it won't really be visible once it is in the final build

Soldering:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The base of the PSU. I know they are not all even, but it is damn hard to get heat in there without melting other cables or older sleeving. Damn, where the hell did I leave the heatgun...
    [​IMG]

Here is the progress on the main connector...
    [​IMG]

After having buy a soldering iron, learn how to solder, re-"crimp" the clips, source new clips in case of emergency, practice soldering, re-solder (after some expert advice ;) ) it's done.... but the PSU isn't finished yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am a complete and utter numpty with this stuff, but I am happy with it for a first attempt. Yes, it's an expensive first attempt, but so long as I am smiling, I don't really care. Still though, opinions/comments appreciated. :)

8. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

The green looks great. I never thought individually sleeved PSU cables would look good, but I'm getting into that look lately.

9. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

It looks good so far keep up the good work, I have tryed to soldier but i havent had much luck with it so the fact that you got the terminals crimped on and soldierd is great. As long as the ends fit in the connector your good im sure that very little will be seen once your finished.

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That's what it's always about bro :thumb:

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Cheers all.

Bit-Tech is where I got hooked on modding (Dark Blade, was the spark. what a surprise) and with all the skills flying around here, I value any and all input that is going around.

I am thinking of a small piece of plexi/acrylic in an arc to cover over the ends of the cabling.

I have *just* enough sleeving left I think to do the rest of the cabling (auxillary power, PCI-E x 2, and a small extension for the SATA power cable).

On that note, could I just simply cut the SATA power cable to the first junction? No need to have 30cm more cable just flopping around when I only need the first 15cm...

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

13. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

still watching
    nice job btw

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Nice work on the sleeving dude. Let us know what you think of the Nanoxia fans :thumb:

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Most certainly will.

The DX versions have an opaque black frame in contrast to the semi-transparent frame of the FX series and do not have the water-proof feature, which is kind of pointless in my opinion.

I reckon the 900RPM versions should move enough air for me. If they cut the mustard, I will replace the stock 140mm fans in the case with Nanoxias as well.

The nice thing about them, from impressions thus far, is that the blades are UV reactive, as is the sleeving I have, so the lighting can be more subtle, rather than bright green LED's.

I am still trying to locate willing companies here in Ireland who might be able to lasercut the side panel for me.

Also, I assume you can get acrylic in 1mm?

I think I have it sussed how I am going to make this;
    [​IMG]

The whole thing MUST be flush with the side panel. :wallbash:

Last edited: 17 Oct 2009
  17. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

try www.sheetmetal.ie
    I'm currently trying to get a quote for some serious alu work for my project
    Steve'll take .STEP files if you model the design

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very cool so far, too bad the Corsair Obsidian has such good cable management you'll probably never see the cables anyways

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Thankfully the cables are long enough that they will be visible to an extent inside the case. The green is there to off-set the all-black internals I am using, but I don't want to have too much.

I reckon I might order the motherboard this week so that I have the sleeving perfect. I also need to test the PSU after the sleeving accidents :D

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, I've ordered the fans, temp monitors and 2 of the paired LEDs.

I went with 3 x 120mm 1200 RPM Nanoxia and 1 x 120mm 900RPM, instead of all four being 900RPM.

The 900RPM will be secured in the lower HDD cage to supplement airflow there.

The 1200RPM will be attached to the case roof on the rad grill.

Now I need to figure out how to join a bunch of them together so that I can decide on a decent fan controller.

Anyone know any good black aluminium ones with possibly green LED's?