1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Cosmos 1000 Flash mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tkgclimb, 18 Jan 2010.

1. tkgclimb

tkgclimb man it's all harder than it looks

No it's okay the metal cut out will go in the space and then be backed my yellow lighted acrylic, should look something like

[​IMG]

if I paint it all red, but you get the general idea.

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

aha, got it. :thumb:

3. tkgclimb

If I did option 3 and went all red, how would you feel about some cheesy lightning bolts to yellow it up, I can't do much better with my drawing and painting skills.
    [​IMG]

they look pretty cheesy, maybe I'll see if I can get anyone to draw and tape some better ones on for me.

I think I'm going to have to paint the whole thing read to cover up the blemishes, which happend because I made a stupid mistake, I should of cut from the backside so the front would look clean (because now the back looks clean:miffed:) , it was just a stupid mistake, and I'm kicking myself right now:duh:.:wallbash::wallbash: :sigh::waah::waah:

Last edited: 24 Jan 2010
  4. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Imo, that's too much red.

5. tkgclimb

I have sanded the edges down, next I'm going to get some 1500 grit and or use the wire wheel for my rotary tool and see what I can do.

The only problem is that no matter how smooth and pretty I make it look, the edges will be different from the brushed aluminum around it.

Man I wish I hadn't made that mistake. rrrrrrrrrrr, stupid, stupid.

What about enclosing the guy in red and leaving the edges bare?

6. Shadow703793

That would be OK too.

7. tkgclimb

Something like this maybe, I could also do with sharp edges, a different shape, and make it a lot rougher, maybe even like just a rough spray over just like covering the thing, that might look kinda cool.
    [​IMG]
    I'll see if I can get the lighting bolts drawn though because that would be my number one way. It might be difficult to tape them on accurately and nicely/

8. Shadow703793

^ How about a stencil? Talk to amdfangirl over at THF and see if she can make you a stencil.

9. tkgclimb

^stencil is an excellent idea

I have some artist friends over here who all talk to first and see if they can't draw it out on some card stock and then cut it out, to make a stencil.

Maybe I'm asking to much here, but maybe I'll cut out the bolts (or just some of them) and put lighted acrylic behind them too. (cutting from the back this time!!!) But they might be really hard to cut out well, since they are so small, could always do the general shape and then work it with sandpaper and mini files.

I'll probably have to get some more acrylic to do that though.

I'm definently not going to do the red circle clear edges idea, I just don't like it.

10. tkgclimb

Sorry I havn'te posted in a while, weather and school been holding me up, heres whats up so far.

[​IMG]
    painting, this piece turne out good

[​IMG]
    Still, pretty good, It's wet now, but I had some uneven painting, so I had to sand/scrape it off and then paint it again, but you can still see some uneven ridges from the old paint job, once it dries I'll go over it again.

[​IMG]
    Lighting bolt stencils, I cut them out myself :p

[​IMG]
    Paints I'm using, The dupoint self etching primer is for the Aluminum, I need some more plastic specialty, they don't make yellow so I'll have to paint with the plastic stuff first or just try the primer.

11. tkgclimb

More painting today,

The Mesh grill for the front
    [​IMG]
    The front side panel
    [​IMG]
    The self etching primer has this wierd texture/sand thing to it, I don't know why, at first I didn't like it, but after going over it with red, I like it.

other side panel
    [​IMG]

Guy
    [​IMG]

And putting the window and bolt together, THe clear is attached by mounting tape, and the bolt is epoxied on the very edges. This picture is upside down sorry.
    [​IMG]

I don't know when I'll be able to finish painting, but it will be ASAP, my mom wants her garage back.:)

12. Shadow703793

Looking good! Btw, make sure you put on a clear coat on the case once done AND on the Acrylic. It helps the acrylic from getting scratched.

13. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

That's a good tip about the acrylic. Do you have to do a lot of prep work before you put the clear coat on the acrylic?

I have to say I am a big fan of the "do it with my own hands" approach. You've done a good job so far. Looking forward to how the lighting appears.

14. tkgclimb

Thanks
    I've never heard of clear coat on acrylic, but it makes sense, I'll be picking some up soon.

Thanks, Yeah when I went to paint the lightning on sunday it got windy which is bad for stencils and paint. But i'm looking forward to how it turns out.

Edit: Just saw you said lighting, that should be in on thursday, well some of it, I couldn't find any yellow (well some amber at frozen cpu, but I ordered from newegg beause I had to get a wireless adapter also), so the back panel lighting will have to wait.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2010
  15. Shadow703793

double post, sorry.

16. Shadow703793

Not much. I usually put clear coat on my Acrylic PC side panels. I just sand it down with 8000 grit paper to give it better adhesion to the surface. I bought my 8000 grit paper(s) here: http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=4019&cat=820&page=1

A bit slow shipping but worth it imo. I buy in bulk (20-30 at a time) so I have it readily available for a mod. Just sand it lightly. Or if you don't want to buy it, just apply clear coat directly. Both methods work about the same.

Also MAKE SURE you test the clear coat on a test piece first. Remember, not all clear coat's are the same. I use the Duplicolor Clear Coat spray: http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-Auto-Spray-Clear-Coat/dp/B0007N56MC

17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very nice case mod so far :thumb:

18. tkgclimb

Thanks man,

I can just spray the clear coat over everything right, (including the windowed panels), I should clear coats the plastics too right?

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd only clear coat what has been painted

20. Shadow703793

Depends really. I usually clear the Acrylic because I move them a lot and has a high chance of scratching it badly. But in any case, test it out on a scrap piece and see.