1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU cooler memory clearence

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BioSniper, 4 Jun 2011.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a new cooler for my i5-750 so I can do a bit of over-clocking, and hopefully be a bit quieter than the stock intel cooler.
    Thing is I have a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 and G.Skill Ripgaw memory which due to the heatsinks sits about 10mm higher than normal ram.

I'm worried with any of the big coolers that it may interfere with the memory.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use that will provide ample cooling and not get in the way too much, and not cost the earth?

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I vote for the Gelid Tranquillo - clicky

Its quiet, cool, wont foul your RAM and cheap!

Big upgrade on the stock cooler for overclocking

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Is your ram plugged into slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4? most new motherboards compensate for large coolers by putting channel 1 in slots 2 and 4.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

You have a good point. Totally forgot but it's in 2 and 4 so I have 1 slot between the CPU and Ram. Issue would come if I want to upgrade to 8GB, I would have to use 2x 4GB sticks rather than sling another 4GB in there.

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Got the same board as you, make sure whatever you get is smaller than a Titan Fenrir. Mine fouls the first 2 memory slots :( lol

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

The gelid is a good cooler and I've fitted one in a similar situation as you, board with 2 tall sticks in 2 and 4. It works fine with the first slot being covered by the cooler fan. At a push you could even slide the fan up a bit higher, lose a little performance but not too bad.
    You could also get another 2 2gb sticks with a lower profile but memory is a lot cheaper than when I bought my 2nd set, now I would go with 2x4gb.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Thanks so far guys.
    Just wondering if maybe I can get a larger heatsink, but flip the installation round so the fan is "sucking" through to the rear of the case rather than blowing through to the rear of the case? That would solve the clearance issues (or probably just cause it to foul the I/O) ?

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sadly it doesn't work this way. Pulling air in is easier than pushing air out.
    While it will work, you won't have great temps.

10. Deders

Deders Modder

I think he's talking about reversing the flow, but if the PSU is above then it will probably suck the air in from the back before it gets to the cpu. You'd have to reverse your entire PC's airflow.

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Yeah pretty much I meant flipping the cooler through 180 degrees, then doing the same with the fan to pull through the cooler.

My PSU is in the lower section as it's a P182 :)

Naturally it'd be better to just get something that can clear the memory slots in the first place anyway.

12. Deders

Deders Modder

You'd have to make sure that you can then exhaust the heat somehow before it got trapped in your case and heated up all your other components.

13. AderynGlas

AderynGlas What's a Dremel?

Bingo, seems far easier and less hassle? Already some advice above that seems to answer your problem. :)