1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Unleashes a Major Backlash

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Sparrowhawk, 31 Mar 2008.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Since most of us have had problems with Creative soundcards and Vista... :wallbash:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/03/29/046201.shtml

Looks like Creative has unleashed the Rage of the Internet. :nono:

Additional links:
    The post that started it all - http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=116332
    The Consumerist - http://consumerist.com/373901/creat...en-it-tries-to-silence-third+party-programmer
    the Inquirer - http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/29/creative-driver-debacle
    Response from Newegg? :jawdrop: - http://forums.creative.com/creative...w=by_date_ascending&message.id=117948#M117948

Oh yeah, and one angry buyer even went so far as to mod his creative card into an 'exfi' :rock:

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

There's no way to verify if that's an official newegg representative or not. I doubt they would make a public comment like that, not good for business at all. Its a difficult situation that wasn't handled properly at all.

3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah, I too doubt it's an official newegg rep. The interesting thing though, is the email address on that account is webmaster@newegg.com -- and email addresses on that forum require verification. So while I doubt it's an official response, it *might* actually be someone working at 'Le Egg.

4. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Wow, over 1800 replies on the Creative forum in just 3 days

5. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

well, considering that was posted yesterday, and the "newegg" rep said that as of tomorrow morning (meaning today, this morning) all cards marked as vista compatible would be suspended for sale, I think you can assume it was fake, as this product is still on their site - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102005 - note the "Certified for vista note int he specifications

dragon

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

yeah well... there is no alternative for creative in the middle price range, there are cheap cards and above $150 cards - what about the $70 range?

So there is actually no card now in that range. :D

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

turttle beach make cards in that range.

9. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I do miss my EAX 5.1 sound in BF2, But I do like having sound, because my Xonar, decides to not randomly foul up and quit working.

Oh and LOL @

Last edited: 31 Mar 2008
  10. prosser13

prosser13 Hasn't got a Dremel!

Email address is easy to fake.

You can set email to public after registering with any email address, make a post, then switch to any email address. You can't make any posts until you revalidate but the new email address is shown in the public profile.

No movement on Newegg either.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Yeah. I bet Creative are really crying over that one! :eyebrow:

Creative got their money, doesn't have to offer warranty or support on that card, but the customer still paid for it meaning that creative made even more from this deal :p

12. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Some people get satisfaction out of obliterating expensive things. I took a sledge to my Sony Ericcson K750 after 2 months of use (it was a warranty replacement for a previous K750 that died on me (in the same way)). Of all my Sony products 75% of them have failed to sustain lengthy usage periods.

Im not too sure on the legality of the whole issue. The drivers were Creative Labs' property and therefore its up to them what happens to it. On a moral side I dislike the way creative have seemingly abandoned reasonably new hardware and not bothered to make it work correct. Wont be getting my Gigaworks speakers any time soon :p

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I was already fed up with Creative and their lack of working linux drivers (you know, the ones they promised would be out LAST YEAR!), but this really seals it. I don't mind paying for good hardware, but when it's crippled by piss-poor driver support then it becomes an expensive doorstop.

Hopefully Creative will die the death they so richly deserve soon.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

As many have said, this has been coming for Creative, their drivers have never function correctly since the old OS's, whenever I emailed their support to ask about Vista support I was originally told that no products had plans for Vista drivers. I then went to my onboard audio which worked.

Sorry Creative, you had your time, you're being outgunned now, please either sort yourselves out or put yourselves up for sale.

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

What would people recommend in the ~£40 - £50 bracket. My on board network card plays back through my on-board sound when i'm using my new headphones. I was just going to buy a x-fi but i don't think i'll bother now.
    Should have seen it coming like, been using the realtek for years but as soon as i plugged in my new Sens it suddenly sound incredibly ****.

17. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Just Registered to post my 2p on the situation. While I don’t think the fiasco is going to cause that much trouble for creative, I think it might cost some people there PR jobs.

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

There are manufacturers that provide atleast as good analog signal quality, the only thing missing are the stupid propietary EAX-effects and chrystalizers and whatnot. For example I'd advice to take a look at what M-audio has to offer.

And real class A ******** from Creative... It's nothing new that manufacturers delete features along the way, but it's never right anyway.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Asus Xonar D2 - a touch more expensive but a cut down D2X. We've got one in for review - we'll be testing the next "EAX 5" features.

20. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

I personally would like to see a review or article on Bit-Tech lising the alternatives to the creative products. Since getting a SoundBlaster Pro in the old days (mmmm ISA) and then moving my way up to an Audigy i dont really know what else is out there on the market and how good/bad those alternatives are?

Creative's stance on this situation is....well im at a loss to words right now. But i shall be expressing my views on the situation by NOT buying a creative product.