1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Crysis 2 leaked

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tennisball, 11 Feb 2011.

1. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Why wait if you can see it now? The man sais he'll buy the game if he likes it, so i frankly do not see what harm is being done.

Yes, it's against the rules naughty naughty naughty. Will I also be banned from this forum if i say that sometimes, I don't wait for a green light but cross the street when the light is still red? :eeek:

I'm not saying AT ALL that all piracy is a good thing, but there IS a way to use the piracy channels as individuals and not harm the industry.

2. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

Fair dos. I am not doubting that you will buy it for real when it comes out but there will be thousands of other mugs who wont bother.

Eddie

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You are assuming that the 'other mugs' would've bought it if they couldn't pirate it? This is the flaw when it comes to arguing about piracy - you can't assume that one pirated copy equals one lost sale.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I think maybe something needs to change so that developers see a return on their investment. I think that STEAM has gone a long way towards creating a fairer system. It's a great content delivery system that encourages people to buy legitimately. Steam works because of the special deals and temporary price reductions. Steam users trust the system because they are less likely to experience patching issues from games delivered over the steam network. As an example: I recently spend 2 days trying to install and patch Battlefield 2142. I know it's an old game but it's an old game I purchased legitimately from EA using their awful content delivery system back in 2006. After downloading the game last week (hadn't played it for more than a year), EA downloader showed a 1.25 patch was available. I could not install the patch. It failed each time. I had to spend 2 days in dialog with EA tech in order to finally get the game patched to 1.51. By this time I had downloaded the game 5 times and reinstalled more than 10 times.

When I buy a game on the Steam network, I know it will patch ok and run on whatever version of windows comes along. At christmas I bought the Doom games collection via Steam. Doom 3 didn't work, it kept asking for a key, the key was supplied along with the game but Valve said the game shouldn't ask for the key. Valve quickly found a solution and emailed it to me.

I think a system like steam can help to reduce piracy. I certainly respect Valve's efforts rather than the draconian measures many other publishers have taken. Do you remember all of the controversy shortly before windows Vista was due for release? There was a lot of talk about MS limiting the number of installs for legitimate owners. I got so sick of reading about their new security measures that it dissuaded me from purchasing a legitimate copy.

Pete J likes this.
  5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

But you can assume everyone has their acceptable price that they would pay for something.

If Crysis 2 was released at £1, you'd buy it ...
    £2 ...
    £3
    £4
    £5
    £6
    etc
    etc
    Maybe you'd even buy it at its full release price.

Even pirattes have their acceptable prices. The point is that at whatever acceptable price you pay for the item, the cash reaches the dev and publisher and they are able to use that cash income to pump out more and better games for us. The Steam bargains thread works because people get to hear when an item has reached their acceptable price. People just need to wait for that price. This also leads us on to another debate of the second hand games market, but I'll leave that for the next second hand related thread.

Pete J likes this.
  6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

P. S.

I also own an iPhone 3gs. Whilst I have considered jailbreaking it, I made a choice not to. Why?
    Because legitimate iPhone apps are so INEXPENSIVE! I own many paid APPs and do not see the need to jailbreak and pirate software when it's so reasonably priced.

7. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

Im well aware of that. Thing is though, that this is bound to hurt Crytek in some shape or form. This is before the game is even out too. Downloading this stuff even if it just to "try it out" is just going to annoy developers and make them less likely to bother with the PC.

Think Im gonna bow out of this one. Can of worms!

Eddie

Last edited: 13 Feb 2011
    Pete J likes this.
  8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The 'pay what you think it's worth' price model, eh?

I do agree with you to some extent in that developers would see more sales if they priced a new games at, say, £20 rather than £30 but the truth of it is they'll have a marketing team (and I must point out I hate marketing sorts) who spend a long time thinking about how much they should charge; though in truth, they could probably fire the marketing bods, sell the game at £20 and make a profit from not having to pay the useless tossers*.

However, if people were left to decide how much to pay for a new game, I doubt anyone would pay more than a fiver - which probably wouldn't cover the developer's costs.

*I don't really mean that, I understand there is a need for marketing.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

When Bad company 2 for PC was released, I didn't want to pay £35 for it. Nor did I want to pay £30. Nor was I happy about paying £28. I bought it for £15. I'd be happy to pay £20 for Crysis 2 if it gets good reviews.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

there's more to jailbreaking than pirate apps.:wallbash:

what you guys should be looking is whether the reviewer have played Crysis 1, if he has, i highly doubt he'll like Crysis 2 if he was playing on PC.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'll be doing a solid and in depth review of C2 when its officially out.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Grr. I bought Bad Company 2 at half price and still want my money back.

13. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

More nanosuit vids? Pleeez? I just watched your warhead ones last night from start to finish, then saw my ass playing it today. But i finished it.

Please don't take the lord's name in vain on this forum! Heretics will be burned! :D

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

BC2 can be a lot of fun. The only battlefields I liked have been DC mod for 42. 2142 and BC2. BF2 was crap.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

16. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

Of course it goes without saying its on that site because that torrent site is the only one on the internet right? Im stupid to think that theres a whole lot more torrent sites on the internet.

17. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

Just adding my thoughts before I turn my back on this thread of flaming and cock waving forever:

PC gaming is dying. Pure and simple. There are so few game developers that have the (for want of a better work) belief in the platform to keep making games for the PC, even though console gaming is a far, far more lucrative market. And this single leak has done more damage to PC gaming than any other event I can think of.

Sure, there have been other leaks. The more famous (and repeatedly mentioned ones) are HL2 and Doom 3. But at the time, consoles were (comparably) underpowered and the only way to get a half decent looking gaming experience was (in my opinion) the PC. But times have changed and the latest consoles have more than enough power and (far more importantly) game developers have more experience squeezing ever watt of power from these systems.

This leak has shown that PC gaming is far too dangerous a market to invest in. Why spend month (if not years) and potentially millions of pounds developing a game for the PC if all it takes is a single disgruntled employee or a determined hacker to take that product and destroy what little market there is left.

Many "pirates" (read: thieves) will claim that they are only "demoing" the game and will purchase a genuine release of the game if they like it. And for a minority that is true. The rest of them are just a bunch of parasites who are slowly but surly bleeding the PC gaming industry to death. Yet it is they who protest loudly about the decline of the industry and blame the developers for abandoning them.

The only alternative for a developer is to use draconian DRM (like the much hated Command and Conquer 4 constantly requiring a internet connection). But this only alienates the few deadhards who are left and drives the "average" gamer to look for a hack to remove the limitations forced upon them.

Basically, PC developers are in a stuck between a rock and a hard place. And it is slowly crushing them to death.

TL;DR? - Pirates are to blame for the death of PC gaming, pure and simple.

18. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Please stop with your absurd hysteria. I have never heard such ridiculous **** in all my life. All you a paid lobbyist? Do you work for a PR company? This leak has not done "damage" to PC gaming. If console gaming was so lucrative, then why are the world's largest game publishers closing studios left right and centre? PC gaming, via Steam, is innovating and booming. Independent developers are making money and getting attention. Torchlight, Minecraft and Magicka to name but a few. As usual, morons and uneducated tards like yourself blame the minority who bother to try to pirate (which is a long and time consuming process to get a substandard product) for the failures of game developers which punish genuine buyers and lack of innovation.

TLDR; your wrong.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

heh, i might do something to cull the rampant masses for the next month.

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

believe it or not, this leaks makes me want to buy the game. I guess it's because I want to support PC gaming in general. Or maybe it's because I haven't spent money on something for me (except fuel) in 3 months