1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware DDR4: What we can Expect

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

Expensive prices, thats what we can expect!

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I dread to think. I'll still want it though. RAM at 4.2GHz. Sounds good to me!

4. Xir

Xir Modder

DDR3 has been around for 3 years, but has been standard for shorter than that.
    Likewise DDR4 will probably not replace DDR3 immediately, so the lifespan will be a lot longer than these quoted two years.

5. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I think it will take at least another 3 years from 2012 before DDR4 becomes popular, or more to the point; the prices drop to a level where most people can afford it, maybe slap another 2 years on that! What this means is it is shrinking the top-end enthusiast market to only the very rich; who can afford the new Intel2011 socket cpus and motherboards, plus 4 dimms of DDR4. This isn't a bad thing though as it should mean that other prices continue to drop until these new standards become affordable.

6. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

And I still don't have DDR3. But progess is good and DDR4 should mean a lower price for DDR3

7. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Hmm, why did all the graphics cards makers skip GDDR4 and go straight to GDDR5?

Wasn't it because DDR4 was crap?

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, my next big upgrade will be end of 2013/start of 2014. I hope some DDR4 is floating around then!

9. crudbreeder

crudbreeder What's a Dremel?

They didn't. You are thinking about GDDR5, which is something completely different. And is based on DDR3:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

10. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

So ill probably not upgrade untill DDR4 is driving down DDR3 prices. But then again, DDR3 memory is hardly driving down DDR2 prices

11. crudbreeder

crudbreeder What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly...
    But the point was, GDDR5 is based on DDR3 and has nothing with DDR4 or DDR5 to do.

12. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

its great that tech moves on and on and on ,and we all get more for less ,or we all have more as tech moves on ,TFTs and LCDs are the best example of this, bigger and cheaper. DDR4 might be trash but it may also push the tech tree higher up .DDR 7 could be just around the curve .

13. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

To think I'm still running DDR2 :)

14. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

When will we have software that can tax such awesome amounts of power?

I'm not talking like abit of 3d modelling, i'm talking like HUGE amounts of all this power?

Either way, so very awesome...

15. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I read (i think wiki) that DDR4 was pointless an would just go onto DDR5. But whatever?

16. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I'm curious as to how DDR4 will make DDR3 cheaper, I could buy 4gb of XMS2 for £45 before DDR3 came out... I was lead to believe this was because if you've got every factory going pretty much just tooled up for DDR2 it works for the consumer because of economy of scale.

I don't know though, I don't work for Kingston so I'm just guessing! I'd be interested to know the market share between DDR2 and DDR3. Last time I read anything about it, it was massively in favour of DDR2 but I'm sure that's probably changed a fair bit now!

17. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Hmm... all that memory swapping virtually every time something new comes in. Running DDR3 & DDR2 right now and in all honestly difference between 3 channel DDR3 and dual channel DDR2 is minimal (or nil) for everyday use. So why do we need again another jump to DDR4? Of course PC market is money business. In the end I think that DDR4 will end like RamBus memory back in the early P4 motherboards. Instead some real progress, all companies feeding users with minimal upgrades to existing technology - especially true when you look at DDR2 and 3.

I also wonder why all motherboard are equipped with so many memory slots. It would be much easier to put single slot (perhaps where PCI slots are located) with a riser where all memory modules are plugged. Less mess&clutter on motherboard, better cooling for motherboard, and memory easily removable. Just pull out riser and add/replace modules outside the case, instead navigating between cables/fans and whatever else. A lot of cooling solutions is really big, covering often half or even all memory slots and because of that such simple thing as adding/replacing mem modules is often tiresome&troublesome task . So damn simple solution. And if by any chance riser is damaged, throw it away and buy new one instead new motherboard when one/more slot is/are damaged.

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

DDR2 is more expensive now than two years ago, and DDR is hugely overpriced now. The best time to buy RAM seems to be at the end of a generation, or in the first six months of the next, while there is still stock. Once the volume drops to make way for DDR4, the price of DDR3 is going to go right back up again in exactly the same way DDR and DDR2 did.

Also, it still seems to be the case that so long as you have enough RAM it's nearly impossible to make it a bottleneck. I remember bit-tech advising slow DDR3 of a decent brand rather than one of the massively expensive faster kits (back when DDR3 was just taking off) and I don't think the situation has changed much. Upgrading and overclocking RAM just doesn't make a difference to performance for most people.

On this machine, going from DDR2 @400MHz up to 1066MHz makes all of 150 points difference on the CPC multitasking score.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I completely agree. I'm actually kinda getting sick of these stupid incremental upgrades. We should have skipped right over ddr3 and went to ddr4. then we could have done ddr5 or even possibly ddr6. If you do the math, ddr3 isn't a whole lot faster than ddr1. It is faster but not enough. I'm not sure what companies' obsession is over high frequencies is because theres more to memory than just frequency. Thankfully, ddr4 actually does have some benefits over previous forms of memory but I feel like they should have focused on latencies more than frequency. like seriously 10ns? That is utter crap! And I thought 8ns in ddr3 was bad...
    You can get all the frequency you want but it makes no difference it the data doesn't get to the CPU fast enough.

20. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I'd rather have a ton of ram, than fast ram.

Tags: Add Tags