1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dennis Publishing acquires bit-tech.net

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 Oct 2008.

1. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Why...?

Well I hope the staff and their content don't go to shite the same way about every other takeover has conceded. And, oh, by the way, wish you all the best. Really.

2. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

I get Micromart everyweek , be good to see some Bit articles in it as some of the writers in the mag are getting lazy, most are good though

3. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I know you guys are hardly a public company, but how much did they pay for you? I really hope you got a good deal because bit-tech is one of the highest quality tech web sites out there! :)

4. darklord of chaos

darklord of chaos What's a Dremel?

this has been touched on but i hope bit-tech does not fall victim to the good review for cash kinda thing that goes on in pc mag's but I hope this will open more doors and provide better support for you guys

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I noticed the lack of AMD reviews and information but to be honest they've really fallen short of releasing anything really exciting recently.

Hopefully with ATI and Deneb (which look pretty interesting) they can get back in the game.

6. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Trust me, Tim will never, EVER let that happen.

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

'grats!
    Bit-tech, I love you ;)

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Alas, I have no cheesecake to offer, only congratulations!

9. centy

centy DFI Nutter

Bit-tech and customPC are all I read.

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

those things are always a little scary but I have faith in bit tech management and I know this decision was taken for the best :)

12. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

Sorry dudes I can not see the synergy!
    PC Pro, CPC, Micromart and Bit-tech :eyebrow: as long as I see detailed reviews saying how crap, crap gear is, I will be happy...!

I have re-typed this part about 5 times now - I think I will leave it blank instead...

13. Nature

Nature Minimodder

"sell-outs" :D I hope ya'll can take that cruise with that lady with the adams apple now... But seriously if your reviews start to suck I am dedicating my life to trolling you guys.... more :D

14. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Well based on pure conjecture and speculation: The reason Dennis Publishing acquired Bit-Tech is a specific reason. You don't just go out and buy another company for the heck of it. In this case it seems to be twofold, 1. Establish a web presence, as evidenced by comments in this thread, Dennis really doesn't have a high quality web presence yet 2. Increase the number of readers of Dennis publishing sources. Both of these factors lead to an increase in future revenue for Dennis over other options available to them. If for whatever reason Bit doesn't meet the goals of Dennis because of any number of factors it is likely they will make changes to Bit in order to achieve said results. While I'm certainly happy with Bit as it currently is the acquisition by another company brings in additional views and influences that may or may not grow Bit in a similar manner in the future.

In the end companies buy other companies for two reasons, either increase revenue or cut costs. In most cases both occur through reduction of duplicate services and enhancing the offering to customers. Maybe over the short run Bit isn't going to change but it's rather silly to buy a company and change nothing. Hopefully things work out.

15. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

Cheesecake!!!! i want a magazine subscription!!!!! CONGRATS WE ALL LOVE U BIT-TECH

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Controlling? Are the colors on my monitor wrong? I don't see your name in red. :p

(mine totally is,but my nick is <span style="color:#00f">Firehed</span> and now the gig is up)

17. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Congrats!!

Whatever you do, PLEASE put more emphasis into modding section. There are no how-to articles any more, barely any guides, and nothing as mind-blowing as what led me to bit-tech in the first place.

please, please, PLEASE remember what set bit-tech apart from other tech news sites - the modding. Revitalize the modding articles!!

18. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Hi, long time reader, first time poste,,,, er, nm, Um, almost nail on the head for me. Another thought that is swimming in my head is this: What happens when a piece of merchandise is sent out for review?
    When one side of the company gets it, will BT still get to review it? If so then: Does BT have to at least pretend to back up what the other company says? Or: Does BT still get to do an unbiased slap em' if their wrong review? Making BT readers lose out on a review.
    Will the company sending the "thing they sent" say they've already sent it to one Dennis company, why send it to two? Making BT readers lose out on a review.

Oh, and gratz on the deal. And gratz on keeping it a secret; how long have you known? Not like your not good at secrets, with all the reviews you handle you haven't upset too many media release dates.
    Last, I would buy a sub to the mag, as long as It isn't a complete copy of the site, or that the site loses out reviews' n info for the mag. So I guess that I would hate to sub to a mag that is full of stuff that I already read on BT.net; and I would hate to have to wait for stuff on BT.net for the mag to get published, mailed, and delivered.

I check BT at least once a day during the week, most times more than that. At work, at home, at friends house. I will read news and sometimes articles at work. And read forums and longer articles at home. I even had the chance to give one customer a discount at my store for mentioning BT!!! I would absolutely drop BT if it became the mirror to Tom's hardware. I purchase custom pc and pc pro every now and then when I have spare change in my pocket, and am somewhere that they actually carry them. But to be honest, most of their reviews were already covered in some part by BT, long before I saw their mag; and the mags have more ads in them than actual usable information.

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I control them in real life! I'd like to see you try the same.

I hope bit DON'T do a hard publication, it'd destroy the company,

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That is fantastic news. I hope the epic nature of your work doesn't slacken.

Tags: Add Tags