1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Deus Ex (now I've done it)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Xir, 28 Dec 2009.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

...won't get to continue till next week *grrr*

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I took the crossbow and sniper and went uber stealth. It was the first game ever that I really got into, and I
    merged in the end
    - great fun!

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

One game I'd REALLY like to re-enjoy (did I just invent a word there?) is the original System Shock. Don't really think it's possible though. Even if gets up and running it'll probably look and feel too dated. A shame really.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This...I have work to do...

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thats it, i cant TAKE IT anymore, I surender, you win :(

/me goes off to find Deus Ex cd

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

System Shock 2 is still a delight though.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Heathens!

Deus Ex is based on the Unreal engine and doesn't rely on any files outside of its own directory, nor anything in the registry.
    Why on earth does it not have its rightful permanent place on your hard drives?!
    In fact, I have two installations of the game on my drive at once!

The Deus Ex meme about reinstalling would be far less applicable if people stopped being silly and just left it installed! :grr:

[/zealotry] :D

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You can copy-paste Deus Ex straight off a flash drive and play it?

[​IMG]

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

That it is, but I still think the first game was slightly better. Might be my (slowly failing) memory, though. :)

10. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I NEED to know if this is true.

11. leeroy

leeroy What's a Dremel?

i just submitted an essay on Deus Ex in relation to Ian Bogosts work on PR and possibility spaces, if anyone fancies i can post it up after it has been cleared. probably the most important game ever made, i would recomend checking out specotrs post mortem on youtube and gamasutra, interesting stuff. btw have fun - nothing like playing it for the first time, other than playing it the second time in a completely different way, and then trying to do a total non-lethal run :D

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'd be very interested in reading a copy, if you'd like to email it to me or whatever.

13. October

October Mariachi Style

Damn it all, I had a copy of this years ago, got completely stuck and annoyed at the start and abandoned it. Kept losing my legs...

Anyho, last time one of these threads popped up I was intrigued enough to have another go, only to find my game disk was gone :jawdrop:

Gave up again, only to read the awesome amount of love and devotion to the game here, and now I REALLY wanna play :sigh:

Really didn't wanna give Steam any more money this month :grr: I better enjoy the pants off this :lol:

Edit: Anyone know if it would work off a USB Stick? Retails cheaper'n Steam but I don't wanna lose the disk again :lol:

Last edited: 10 Jan 2010
  14. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the heathenous comments but prior to coming onto this site, I had never head of System Shock. Anyone care to fill me in on what its about please?

I never had a PC until around 2000 so only really started getting PC games around then.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are considered to be two of the greatest gaming experiences created by the hand of man.

they havent aged well in terms of visuals but thats not why they are legendary

16. MacWalka

Sorry Gunsmith but that doesn't tell me much.

I know all about Deus Ex but what exactly IS System Shock? What is the storyline? Is it an FPS? What features are present in the game? eg is it similar to Deus Ex in that it fuses FPS and RPG or is it completely different?

What parts of the game makes it so good? Obviously not the graphics, but is it an engaging storyline? Is it multiple ways to playthrough? Is it a host of new innovations (at the time)?

I would simply google the game and read about it but my work blocks most websites, the only reason I can read this one is that its tagged as a PC hardware site and not a gaming one.

Cheers.

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I need to re-install this. Still haven't played through very far. Although saying that, I've still got Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Planescape: Torment I want to get through.

Re-installed BG1 & installed BG2 (after finally getting it on Saturday as part of the Atari 10 game boxset) last night and spent most of the night trying to get them updated and working (doesn't help that Atari bundled the US/Canadian TOSC disc in the boxset instead of the UK one :grr:)

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I loved Deus Ex and would love to play through it again.

Never tried System Shock 2, well I did, but it doesn't like Vista :(

You never know, maybe they'll be released on Good Old Games some time soon. System Shock 2 seems to be building some momentum there.

19. MacWalka

Just read up on System SHock 2 there, sounds like it was essentially an early version of BioShock going by the feature (vending machines, mutants, different types of ammo, powers) so I can safely say I won't be trying it as I hated BioShock. Just found the game too claustriphobic. Don't like games set in space stations, spaceships, underwater cities etc. I like to see the sky I think.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nonononononononononnonononononononono

SS2 was brilliant, bioshock/bioshit was a watered down console tarded mess in comparison.