1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA buys Bioware and Pandemic

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Oct 2007.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I died inside when I read the headline, if EA ****s with Bioware I won't be happy. :waah:

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

EA games suck latey the 2142 Mod (as thats basicly what it is running off BF2 1.4v code) and whay wcwrued with there own marcket on BF2 when thay Made the 1.3 patch for iit it when from 60,000 players down to less then 10,000 players all becore thay thought an Bug in the server code that made the servers reset every 1hr it taken them 4-5 months to bring an half fix for that

thay cost alot of server owners money as well as alot had reserved slots that plays payed for and alot of clans just stoped playing broke up or moved on

thats why as not happy when DICE was going to make BF2 in the first place thay allways had slopy codeing my clan still be playing it now if it was not for bugs

3. zerolock

zerolock What's a Dremel?

this is not good :/ EA sucks ass, especially their "innovative" sport games..

4. TeAaKa

TeAaKa What's a Dremel?

Taking a quote from the front page 'John Riccitiello, EA's Chief Executive Officer. "We also expect this will drive long-term value for our shareholders."

For me that says enough.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

please God not another westwood......

6. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I hate EA for that sole reason, they ruined Renegade 2, I loved that game, multiplayer was so awesome, one of the few I actually played, ruined the Command and Conquer series, I agree with the patches from EA, BF2 one month in, huge patch, then another, and another. It sickens me. *insert puking smiley here*

7. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

Yawn at the moronic replies so far. If you haven't got anything nice to say just don't say it. Why does going on about how much they dislike EA and their business models, help anything. If you're not happy just don't buy their games, it's not rocket science. Honestly feel most of you sheep were just writing a comment for the sake of it.

8. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

I think you missed the point of the forums: to express your opinion. If that bothers you, you may be in the wrong place. ;)

While we're at it, you also missed the point of the posts. The dislike for EA is due to their consistency in lowering the quality of games created by any studio they own; at least, that's the reason why I dislike them.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I can see it now...
    Mass Effect: Most Wanted
    Mass Effect: Underground (1 and 2)
    Mass Effect 2007
    Mass Effect 2008
    Mass Effect 2009 Limited Edition

10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Seconded.

11. evanbraakensiek

Just because you've the right to speak doesn't mean you should.

12. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

That's a double-edged sword. Just because you have an opinion of this discussion and are free to air it, it doesn't mean that you should.

If you don't like the discussion of EAs poor performance don't read the posts. Or better still, leave Bit-Tech entirely.

Hoisted by your own petard?

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The funny thing with "buying" a company is that the actual talent behind the company name can pack up and move fairly quickly - and eventually will if the buyer mishandles the new company.

14. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Strange – yet you seemed to have voiced your view/opinion on the Facebook chat, right here at Bit-tech.net

BTW, I am not a sheep, but rather a Water Ox

15. evanbraakensiek

The news was about EA buying BioWare and Pandemic and although it's relevant to comment about how EA may affect the company, you can clearly see people are jumping on the bandwagon. I mean, someone mentioned that they actually updated their games in a negative context...I mean, come on.

It's about justifying your opinion and clearly you'll all be orgasming at the next Crysis news post, which makes your opinions both contradicting and redundant . But hey, the actual news post had the authors opinion as well, so who cares, it's easy to dismiss the only person sticking up for EA as the village idiot, so I'll let you continue your crusade of negativity, your prerogative.

16. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Hopefully eventually something will cause EA to meet their come-uppance. (Something like the Linux of the game world. Something to gradually get in to the cracks in the wall)

I too dislike EA, for me however my reasons are for treating the players of Earth and Beyond like crap as well as consistently buying out these studios (Westwood, Digital Illusions (aka DICE), and many others) and in their drive to a bigger bottom line they're loosing sight of the fact that people are being alienated. Personally I don't buy EA games anymore, woo, go me.
    I played BF1942 as well as EnB, and despite the long delays between patches and lack of testing in some cases, I have to say BF1942 wasn't so terribly bad compared to other games (BF2[142], by the sound of it). I think DICE must have been only just taken over or something, it was still quite playable and while the original was arcadey as hell, once they (DICE, I guess) realised that people were going to mod it - official mod tools or no - they released some useful tools which allowed awesome mods like Forgotten Hope to be developed. This ultimately led to DICE (I believe) offering the developers of Desert Combat a wad of cash for their 'IP'.
    As I said though, the kicker for me was Earth and Beyond. They treated that game like a giant beta test for a graphics engine that might come in useful (one we had to pay to be on), tech/game support was terrible, patches were infrequent and eventually when it'd served its purpose and they weren't making as much money off it as they could if they moved the developers to, say, Whatever-Sport League Balls 2009 Limited/Silver/Gold/Collectors Edition, they just pulled the plug. Shrug off the loyal gamers in favor of joe-public who want to play at football managers (an area of the industry where there isn't exactly a dearth of games), and don't know or care who they buy from. The only reason they didn't have many many more players: no advertising. I only found out about the game because of the trailer video on BF1942 disc 2; their advertising effort was comprised of one button on the CD-Splash of a couple of games.

Edit:
    Also they do the 'games are art' cause no favors at all.
    If games want to be taken seriously a something which is artistic and hence requires talent and skill to build, people will need to realise that EA who buy the rights to whatever sport event, slap sponsorship all over it, and then produce 5 tacky, samey, unoriginal games (Artistically, how does FIFA 2005 differ from 2006, 2007, 2008, ... etc., other than new player names and a few new commentator sounds?) are going about things all wrong - we're going to end up arguing for something as hard to prove as 'tins of beans are art'. How can they be 'art' if companies like EA bang out thousands of low quality mass-market games? Tins of beans. Nothing against the guys behind the games, they're obviously talented enough to get jobs for these unfortunate studios. It's the solely bottom-line oriented business model I despise.
    We will (or we do) only see one or two big, anticipated, proper games such as Half Life 2 and other such big titles among this plethora of "cheapy-plastic" crap which, while making them stand out all the more, hardly makes it easy to argue for the entire industry to be considered one producing 'art'.
    (Not saying I support the 'games are art' entirely, but it has some merits)
    End of Rant

Last edited: 16 Oct 2007
  17. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

My, it must be nice up on that high horse. :)

It's one thing to stick up for EA; that's your prerogative. It's another entirely to dismiss the opinions of everyone in this thread as meaningless simply because they agree with one another, and disagree with you. Acting superior doesn't work unless you carry it off perfectly. ;)

As for your comment about Crysis, yes, I will be drooling over every bit of related information, since I won't be playing it anyway for a while. :) I'll have plenty of time beforehand to find out whether it's as buggy as the typical EA product.

18. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Our views are based on previous experience from EA.

Crysis is not yet released.
    Maybe EA will surprise us all and have a good working game, but until then, our views are not contradicting, but rather based on real facts.

:rolleyes:

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Actually, they usually put the creative talent behind the company in a contract which means they can't leave for several years.

20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

That's the logical thing to do but I wonder how many would stay one second past that. I really don't care about who made what game so I don't follow any studio or designer's moves. What's the history as far as talent staying with a company once it is bought out? - It seems to me that I've seen a lot of stories that include a line like: "... the talent behind ____ who left to form ____ after their previous company got bought out..."

Tags: Add Tags