1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC X Series 20.10.2010 Its over, finished, complete. Come one come all :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 1 Feb 2010.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That's stunning. I feel your pain on the international deliveries. Hang in there!

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Speak of the devil....

[​IMG]
    I have mail! I havent picked this one up yet but I am hoping its Nils package with all the sleeving, if so....tomorrow should be huge.

I dont have work tomorrow so it would be an ideal time to sit down and sleeve with a nice cold beer, whilst the TV is on and im watching rugby. I lied about the TV and beer, sleeving just doesnt sound manly enough on its own.

[​IMG]
    GAMMods came through with some more gear after my gross underestimation of fittings I needed. Remember the corsair1000w I had? Fan died? 140mm replacement fan, sick! Also got a drain t-valve and some more tygon 3603.

[​IMG]
    Thanks Greig!

[​IMG]
    Some Lamptron gear arrived today, switches actually!

[​IMG]
    They are all black matte with white LED rings and orange sleeving. Goes well with the colour scheme as the water coolant will be orange.

Thanks Lamptron!
    [​IMG]

3. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]
    Went to the post office to pick up a package, I was delighted to see Nils had made artwork out of my parcel (I will be framing this :p )

[​IMG]
    The local hardware store had a few white pvc rolls for me and I was ready to sleeve. Nils had also provided some samples and that royal blue is a really, really nice sleeve.

[​IMG]
    The Daniel edition! This tool saves lives, it really does.

[​IMG]
    This was my first real attempted at sleeving and my fiancee got the hang of it faster than I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I only did about 8 or 9 cables, she did the rest of the ATX whilst I was out at soccer training!

The initial OMG the ATX is done feeling was soon overshadowed as I looked at all the PCI cords, 8 pin CPU power and all the modular molex's.

[​IMG]
    Oh and the cable management thing for the wires, this thing...

The holes are not big enough, not by a long shot. They need to be at least 6mm in diameter so its back to the drawing board and bring on a recut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Oooo nice job man, that sleeving looks awesome with the tape underneath!

Noooooo don't even think of flame polishing your reservoir/anything that comes in contact with coolant (i.e. that weird square thing you made that takes the water somewhere). You have coloured coolant right? That means it most likely contains some kind of alcohol. If you flame polish acrylic, then use alcohol on it, it will crack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ME...DEA50DAB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=37

If you have used Polycarbonate, it will be fine.

5. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

Same here, that sleeving looks pukka. As to the edges of the Perspex, I found that silver metal polish applied with a buffing pad attachment on a drill to be the most efficient way to bring them up nice and shiny. :thumb:

6. aka_gk

aka_gk What's a Dremel?

wow, just became a fan of this project! good job and subscribed :thumb:

7. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

I take it you mean a liquid polish? I personally sand from 120 grit through to 800 by hand, then use Brasso and a cloth and do it by hand. I tried Brasso on a buffing wheel and managed to paint the workshop in Brasso :p The best thing to use on a buffing wheel i find is Red Rouge buffing compound, which is like a bar of soap but for buffing.

8. Jux_Zeil

Yes, comes in a tube like tooth paste.
    I would normally user an orbital sander but I get my Perspex cut to plan now by the company I get it from and the edges are straight, precise and pretty smooth like his probably are on that machine.

If anyone is interested, I picked the sander up from B&Q for £13 and it came in a carry case and has an attachment for a Hoover to act as an extractor. It's one of their Pro Tool range, and as I'm sure any DIY'er will agree, that's not a bad price for making the job quicker and easier.

ROLF! Yup, I made that mistake too. I was just about to get a drill with variable speed control when my Great Uncle gave me his as a gift(R.I.P.).
    Works like a charm now but you've got to remember to use one pad for each type of polish, so no using it to T-Cut the car as well. :D

9. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Nice:thumb:

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Nice progress on the build, great sleeve colors too

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Cheers for that, the watercooling stuff wont be touched too heavily in regards to polishing. The most they will get is a healthy swab of isopropyl alcohol (because theres nothing that stuff cant do).

With flame polishing, do you just do it to the edges or to the entire panel? Also when I was younger more handsome and still going to school, I saw a guy in shop polish acrylic with a buffer.

I did try using the dremel buffer to achieve the same affect (probably 2 or so years ago now) and it came up horrible.

Thanks! White was a bit of a gamble in a black case, you just cannot get away with anything because it would stand out so much. Perfection all the way then, many more cables to do!

I really want to start installing the parts into the case but I dont want to be rushed because the computer is in down time. More prep work to do!

12. Jux_Zeil

Only the edges, and very quick passes as you dont want to warp them.
    If you want to learn a few tips from the best, check out DAE_JA_VOO's website.
    http://www.daejavoo.com/

He's got the skillz. :thumb:

That's because a hand rotory tool can't put enough pressure, or rotate fast enough with the same pressure applied.

13. stonedsurd

is the orange sleeving also MDPC-X? Doesn't look like it, because I can see right through :/

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Polishing? I remember my ICD7 thermal paste has a very special side effect of being an incredible polisher - less than 5 minutes after trying to wipe it away (ran out of rubbing alcohol), I had a mirror finish. -.-

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Hmmm his site doesnt seem to be working past the homepage? (might just be me).

I'll do some research and test on the offcuts.

For now, I have decided to make a psu cover!

[​IMG]
    Okay so we have the holes at the top of the psu which the cable sleeving will go through, unless im retarded, there should be 24. 140mm fan holes, reverse engraved lettering much like the rest of the build. Theres also a black backplate for all these parts and Im using m3 cap screws to put it all together.

We all know thats my case, not sparta. Havent decided whether ill keep that there, probably not :p

16. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon What's a Dremel?

lol at this is not sparta :D

17. stonedsurd

KEEP IT THERE!

It's hilarious :D

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Hmmm, I might :p If I have problems toolpathing it, then I will dump it!

Oh and the orange sleeving isnt MDPC-X, the orange was sponsored by GAMMods!

Last edited: 26 Feb 2010
  19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

is that patrick?

20. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

no its Epic!!!!!!