1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU and Air Travel New Rules

Discussion in 'General' started by LAGMonkey, 5 Nov 2006.

1. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Just got a LOVELY E-mail from KLM and its gotten me VERY angry...

These are the rules for liquids in your hand luggage:

1. You can only bring on liquids and gels in containers of no more than 100 millilitres.
    2. These containers must be carried in a transparent plastic bag.
    3. There is a limit of one transparent plastic bag per person.
    4. The volume of the transparent plastic bag may not be greater than 1 litre.
    5. The transparent plastic bag must be re-sealable.

You may bring a suitable plastic bag from home. During the introductory period, free transparent plastic bags will also be given out at all concerned airports.

There are two exceptions to the above rules:

* baby food needed during the flight;
    * medicines needed during the flight.

Purchases in duty free at the airport:

* If your trip includes a transfer in a European Union country (including French overseas territories), the retailer must place your purchases in a bag. This will be sealed and must remain so until the end of your trip. This bag must be accompanied by a proof of purchase that will be checked when you transfer at the screening inspection point.
    * In Paris, if you are transferring between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris-Orly airports, you are authorized to carry these duty free articles in the cabin of the following flight only if you retain your bag sealed, accompanied by the corresponding proof of purchase.
    * If your purchase occurred in an airport located outside the European Union, and you are transferring to a European Union country, you will not be authorized to carry your purchases onto your next flight. They will be taken away from you.

NOTE that you cant buy any liquids outside the EU :wallbash:

God how i hate this.

2. dom_

dom_ --->

Old news and they rules are about to be relaxed anyway.

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

aye

(not for any other reason than money mind you...)

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

humm....that information seems to contradict what KLM AND BA are saying in both their E-mails.

Both are stating EU wide restrictions which came into force on the 6th (today). So if they are going to be relaxed. The last time i flew it was just after the whole "Scare" with the liquids and that ticked me off no end as if it was bought at the airport, and i HAVE the proof and it hasnt been opened its still had to be thrown away.

Plus its neigh on impossible to blow up a plane undetected with liquids! (aka hiding in the toilet and mixing two liquids together). Blooming paranoia

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well they know what to sniff for in customs even if it's only a part solution and 100ml is still enough to put a hole in the side.

What about deodorant bottles in main luggage? OK still? What else is there to take on? Surely you can survive without a bottle of water for a few hours?

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That email is actually the new rules. They were on BBC this morning, small 'sample' size deoderants can be bought on.

7. ozer

ozer What's a Dremel?

It sounds like a new course should be started in the universities, aptly named "BSc in Air Travel"!... :sigh:

8. quack

quack Minimodder

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Y'all should be aware that basicly, the rules are a total mess. My dad flies at least twice a week and does his best to avoid checking any luggage, so it's a subject he pays great attention to. He checked with our local airport what they're doing about the 20x20 ziplock bags and they said they'd decided freezer bags "around" 20x20. 5-10 either way would "probably be fine" so long as the volume wasn't greater than, IIRC, a litre(might have been more). Of course that's just Inverness, every airport basicly has their own rules now depending on ability and desire to enforce the supposed nationwide rules and how many pricks they've got on their security staff.

The rules may as well have not changed.

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

My dad is a pilot for a BA subsiduary... (or something) and considering that he flys to the kinda places most of these nasty suicidal maniacs come from (middle east-ish) you would have thought that his airline would be the most secure but he was telling me that they never even really upheld the laptop battery rule. Not my dad personally, he's just the mug who fly's the plane. Its more the security services that run the checks on the ground who really can't be arsed but are quite happy to accept payrises for the extra "life risk" that their job now entails.

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

So are these rules in affect for EU flights?

Im still planning to take a boat load of electronics for my handluggage.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is the issue. There are some places that are sort of half assed and/or sensible with regards to loosely adhering to the rules so as not to inconvienice too many people, and there are some airports that will be absoulte nazi's and everything must be strict regulation :(

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

These rules are meant to be standardised across the EU now.

14. atanum141

Thank god im going to India than....

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

YAY!

:p ;) :D

16. atanum141

lol, anyone want any dutyfree?

17. DOTA_POWA

DOTA_POWA What's a Dremel?

Hah first US now Europe. Pretty soon everywhere will be the same.

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

They aren't even standardised across regions of countries, let alone the entire EU. The rules are a joke, here's hoping they're just over soon.

19. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

You buy that in India and you wont be allowed to carry it onto anyother plane if you have a connecting flight.

I personally think that all the best flights ive had have been to the middle east. Metal proper knives and folks and spoons. Decent service and decent drinks (non and alcoholic).

20. atanum141

Yeah right!,

Im goin with bloody Air-India.......need i say more.

they used to be good in the 80's but its been a long time since then and they fell on hard times, ive heard horror stories about them. And TBH Even tho iam Indian myself i wouldnt trust an Indian to do anything other than cook a curry compared to fly a bloody plane. Indians are usually shite at everything other than education.

I constantly reminded my mum that i wanted to go on BA but their flight timings are worse than on Air India, either way all i want is to get there on time, thats all i ask....tho i highy doubt it.

Atlest i can take my iPod and Ds