1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Whalemeister, 29 Oct 2008.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

sure there are a lot of similarities to other games, but they are for the most part good similarities. it is a little too similar to oblivion to me however, you definitely know it was built on the same engine, as it has the same restraints and quirks.
    so i am able to play it reasonably well as far as not experiencing a lot of crashes etc, but i do have these problems:
    [​IMG]
    intermittently i can see flashes of my wallpaper through the game render layer.
    [​IMG]
    and some really bizzare graphics corruption. as you can see instead of the normal fov effect when in menus i am getting some strange pixelated mess.
    anyone have any ideas here?

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

yh same here but then saw it for under 30 in sainsburys when I was picking up some beers.
    I remember thinking to myself how someone is paid to price these things :D

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

probably automatically generated, took a flat percentage off the rrp and printed labels.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

What do you have for hardware? I'm also thinking it could just be a driver issue. Are they updated on your system?

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I had similar problems, with my Far Cry 2 issue looking very similar:

[​IMG]

I tried everything - reformat, loads of different drivers, new psu... a different graphics card cured it instantly. That was a faulty 8800GTS 512mb I bought second hand (hard lesson learnt...).

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i don't think its hardware, because the other games i have installed right now (bioshock, s.t.a.l.k.e.r. clear sky) don't have any problems running. i have the catalyst 8.10v2 drivers installed. problem 1 with the desktop flashes i figured out. its because of avedesk. after looking at the screenshot i realized that the spots line up exactly where avedesk desklets are placed on my desktop so it appears that they aren't playing nice with each other. the pixelated thing though i still don't know. it only does it when i am searching something for items, or when i am in pipboy screen. it doesn't do that when i'm in game, nor any other strange effects. i let furmark run for awhile and didn't get any artifacting. all drivers, directx and windows up to date with patches.
    system:
    amd athlon x2 5200+ (no overclock)
    ecs ka3 mvp motherboard
    mushkin pc 6400 4gb 5-5-5-12
    sapphire hd4850 512mb video card
    visiontek hd4850 512mb video card
    seagate 7200.11 500gb hard disk
    windows xp x64

edit: so i have been playing around with it, and it seems to be a crossfire problem. it doesn't do it with one card. but now i am having it lockup my machine when i try and exit the game... lovely.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2008
  7. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Well, whaddayaknow, I can actually play this game :D
    Only at 1280*800 and at medium details, but hey, better that than nothing. I haven't encountered any of the problems you've mentioned, tho. Display drivers upgraded two weeks ago. Maybe the newer one (is there is a newer one) is the problem?

Gameplay-wise, I'm enjoying the game. I only played a little of the previous two games (and didn't like the interface :S), so I can't judge it in relation to them, but by itself, it's a very nice and gripping game :) True, it's more than a little like oblivion, but I find that a good thing. Oblivion was nice, but lacked guns :D

8. slugs

slugs Minimodder

ive not had graphics issues, but it has crashed back to the desktop a couple of times.

i finished oblivion and all the expanions and really enjoyed that so i though i would get on with fallout3

i finished fallout2 but had issue with a crashing and downing patches from teh states via a modem was a real pain

i feel stupid as well id not noticed the vault mode. kept wondering what it was when it flashed up. i will try it tonight

9. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Went out this morning and brought this game to tide me over until WoW:WotLK comes out...

Awesome... I thought the way your character develops in the beginning is clever, and being able to decide your own path is something that hasn't been done for a while. The graphics are just about pleasing to the eye, gameplay and interactivity is superb, although I feel the controls are a bit sluggish and there is lack of a good sprinting mode.

In the space of time it takes to get to
    the saloon in megatron
    it has crashed on me twice (to desktop, nothing serious) and also won't let me alt+tab to desktop without crashing, which is a bit annoying.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

So there's no instant travel in this one like Oblivion?

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

there is, but like oblivion, you have to have been thre first before you can fast travel.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Ah, but I suppose at the very start you don't have anyone to talk to to give you directions like in Oblivion

13. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Yeah I have just discovered the instant travel thing, makes it a bit better, especially because the environment is so confusing and similar that travel on foot can be hard work. It's now crashed back to the desktop another 3 times, starting to find it really frustrating.

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I wish I could ride a mutant cow

15. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I've not had a single glitch or crash yet..

Finally managed to kill those shelled *******s. My guy looks like a total knob-cheese though, so I need to hunt down some cooler-armour soon

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If it's any consolation (pun unintentional), the console version crashes too. I've got into the habit of saving every few minutes unless I switch areas just in case.

17. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Not had any isues or crashes with the game yet, surprising for Vista 64!!! Put in about 5 or 6 hours and have found it very imersive and absorbing, it's was really hard to go to work this morning, really wanted to blag a sick day and stay home playing this all day...

18. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I stayed home and played it al day with just a couple crashes. I really like the game but it's very buggy. Doesn't suprise me though since it's based off the Oblivion engine. Right now I'm just trying to save up some cash and stuff. (funny, I didn't realize for a while that bottlecaps are currency so I left a bunch in containers :hehe:)
    I went out exploring a lot and it seems I've skipped portions of the main quest by happening across different areas! As fun as the game is, I think they should have spent some extra time testing it. Lost of people are having technical issues with it and though I've sorted out most of my CTDs and lockups, it should've been fixed in the first place. With as many people having problems I'm sure they'll release a patch soon.

Oh and for those that don't know, holding R on the keyboard puts away your weapon.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

One thing that's been pissing me off and preventing me from progressing story wise is Megaton.

First time around, I spoke to Moriarty no problem, and then did the Burke/tenpenny tower side of it. Second time, after realising this was not a smart move at this precise time, I did the opposite to that quest, but as soon as I finished my part of it (Trying to describe without spoilers) the entire town started shooting at me anyway, so now I can't go there without getting my ass killed :/

Not exactly making the game easy for me, but eh.. I'm trying to stick it out.

20. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I've made it all the way to the Citadel, and so far have loved every minute of it. This game is fantastic and I've completely forgot about finishing Fable 2 after jumping into this game. I love that there are just things to do, quest or not quest, for example, helping the Brotherhood of Steel link up with the lost initiate in Church Station. No formal quest, but you can tag along if you want to or not.

Tags: