1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look at USB 3 Performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 18 Dec 2009.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Im slowly checking off my list of when to upgrade/build a new rig, so far dx11 is checked off, usb 3.0 once its standard on mobos will be soon to be checked off, and umm ya a few more to go ^_^

2. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Not true... The early iPod devices were Firewire 400, including my iPod 2nd Generation 10GB model. Only after USB 2.0 was a standard did they switch over to it. USB 3 for the iPod series is a definite possibility, assuming they can fit the new controller inside the ever-decreasing sized players.

3. dec

dec [blank space]

+1.

I cant wait to see how much better USB 3 gets and if it will overtake SATA 6gbps. doubt it but still.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The addon cards don't seam to be too expensive, and you can never have too many USB port on a computer

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

to bad that you did not test 2 devices at the same time (2 USB 3 hdds or SSDs) to see how it feared, be nice to know how usb 3 disk to usb 3 disk over an USB would of been

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

How is charging things using USB 3? I remember comming and plugging in my phone or camera to download/upload stuff and leaving it in to be charged up abit. Other than a quick top up I found it useless tho. It never fully charged devices and it took longer than a normal socket.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

"This is because USB 3 adds fives new data lanes to the existing USB 2’s four, allowing for simultaneous upload and download of data"

Why exactly could we not just do that in the first place when they were designing USB.

8. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

So USB3 and SATA 6GB/s have somewhat the same bandwidth. But SATA is still better because it uses a different protocol and stack.

USB3 might be good only for the odd external HDD (only for data storage, not for keeping software installed on although it works somewhat).

Also if SATA3 is equivalent to PCIe 1x, might make the DisplayLink technology better if they upgrade to USB3. More bandwidth for external displays.

USB3 attached graphics cards is not going to happen though.

9. javaman

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

10. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

to be honest fellas, getting usb3 now would be great for a fast usb2 pen drive, it still improves speed rates already versus the current usb2 standard, shaving off nearly 20-30 seconds per mp3/iso... im jumping onboard now tbh

11. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

i meant for harddrives not pen drives lol

12. xalspaero

xalspaero What's a Dremel?

page 3 says:

"the Corsair SSD comfortably achieves an average write speed on 240MB/sec, so we’ll be able to see whether, and by how much, USB 3 limits this. "

240MB/sec write is wrong, right? Isn't that the read-speed?

13. Engineeringtech

Engineeringtech What's a Dremel?

Years ago, SCSI moved from 8 bits to 16 bit s (sixteen wires) to increase data bandwidth. The accepted theory back then was that a parallel interface could always work faster than a serial interface. Akin to parallel processing..... Then a few years back we were all suddenly told that serial was the way to go, and could run faster than a parallel interface. Didn't make sense to me.

I think the limiting factor on these buses is how you condition the signal, the quality of the cabling, and the type of detection you use.

14. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

I'm a little confused, you tested on x38, but ASUS state it is only for P55? Does this mean it will work on any Intel board? Any board at all? Or did you just "persuade" it to run on a non-P55 board?

15. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I'm buying a motherboard with 2 USB 3.0 ports and 2 SATA 6Gb/s connections added. All the usual USB 2.0 and SATA II 3Gb/s connectors are still on there but I thought it a good idea to get in there quick.

I am building myself a new system I hope that lasts for 5 years or more. USB 3.0 devices will become more abundant in 1-2 years and cheaper by the 3rd year. For anyone getting a new system it makes sense to include USB 3.0.

16. Posicoln

Posicoln What's a Dremel?

The thing is it is impossible to future proof... 2 years time and thunderbolt will be mainstream on PCs, what good is USB 3.0 then?

17. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Holy zombie thread Batman!

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

ey? You can get usb 3 'card readers'...

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Thunderbolt will not be main stream. Apple charges $50 a cable and they are the only ones who make it. You have to buy from them, so they bend you over a pool table and ram it in deep with the price

20. javaman

Ahhh Zombie thread apocalypse!!

Tags: Add Tags