1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News France to disconnect pirates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jun 2008.

1. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Ah, so this law is still dependent on the anti-piracy organisations connecting to torrents and noting all of the IPs they connect to? That seems... rather flawed. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that this would place the burden of catching the naughty pirates on the ISPs themselves.:confused:

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

so if i use tools to block certain IP addresses....

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    ISPs would receive a letter from anti-piracy organizations warning of the misuse of a customer internet access.
    Its up for the ISPs to warn the customers and kick them out.
    ... anti-pirates change to dynamic IPs.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

and then you would see tools blocking entire ranges of IP addresses...

5. rollo

rollo Modder

wow uses encryption, Has to for security

So Tell me how do you tell the diffrence

Id like to here this

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Talking to me?
    Already answered.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

was a general question

How do you tell what the data is when its encrpyted ?

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Person "A" works for anti-piracy organization, sets up a torrent and joins the download of "Blockbuster Movie #3254", communicates to ISP the IP numbers of other peers.
    ISP checks to see which customer was using that IP and sends a warning letter.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

that would not work for long.... people would go to legit trackers and only download stuff from legit uploaders.... using a login system that blocks certain ip ranges.... either way i think... no... I KNOW piracy will never end.... it is to late now.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Impar most people download from private bit torrent networks. So person A will never get in. Since all of them are full just about. Yeah theres some none private ones but how many people actually download of them. And not all torrent programs show the ISP of those connected either. And its posible to block IP show. Inside the settings

So next on answer to the question of

How do you tell what the data is when its encrypted ?

As for me i have no idea, Since unless the program extracted hte files on the go you would never know what the film/ game is Since it would say rarfile 0001 0002 0003 ect ect. Unless you download the full archieve then put them together. Then open the iso file in a program that isnt truly legal. They would never know.

As i said before from my POV its alot of work for some people to go through.

few things they would have to do

infiltrate the biggest private bit torrent sites ( find them first )
    Actually offer content for download on those sites ( they would break the law themselfs to do this remember)
    Then get people to download it.

of the 100000 people on most private sites you may get 60 people who download it. Say 1/20th are from a country were you can do something. So 3 people of the 100000 get a warning letter. for what was 2 days work.

2 days work to capture 3 people. Estimated population of france is 60742000 say 45% download p2p files. 27333900 people downloading, You stopped 3 of them. In 2 days. It would take you aprox 9111300 days or 25000 years to capture them all

GL,

P2P is just too rampant. Its used in just about every online game as a transfer tool between people for key game files. You would never catch enough to make the system worthwhile. And most of those online games transfer the data in bites. Which makes it even harder to compile. Its all well and good been one file. Share it into a million files and your work gets alot harder

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Dont agree with the "most people" but even private torrent networks need a tracker, eliminate the tracker and end the private torrent network.
    I dont think there is way to do it in real time, so ISPs will just throttle/shape it down.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

you do know that you can block connections to your tracker.... as in you have to login to the torrent site, your IP is registered on the tracker and then you can use the tracker.....

....and make legit clients go away..... that is a great business strategy!

one thing that makes me think, if person X downloads a film and at the same time is seeding it to Y people, by the standard rules of the MAFIAA you are filthy pirate and you made them loose Y*price of album*tax, if they get all the pirates they would get Y*Y*price of album*tax.....
    lets say 1.000.000 (yeah right!!!) people pirated indiana jones new movie
    1.000.000 * 1.000.000 * 20€ * 1.10(10% tax)=22.000.000.000.000€ , 22 trillion euros...... for one movie.... now multiply that by all the movies, games and music that is being pirated...... :worried:

they will never get everyone, if they put every pirate in jail or sue them to death they will fill up every jail, take some countries to bankruptcy, and loose a crap load of clients.... they might as well use the current piracy and P2P technology to their advantage!

another thing... almost everyone i know and has internet pirates something... lets say that about 25%-50% of all internet users pirate in some way.... i cant see companies loosing 25%-50% of their user base and revenues.... even if they are the ones that make them invest in better internet.... and people are sheep, even if they get several letters they will continue pirating because they are used to it...

the copyright material owners lost the money train some time ago... they also lost the opportunity to cut piracy from the root... its evolve or die!!

edit: impar, you are Portuguese as i am, look around you, do you really thing the people that pirate would stop doing it immediately? would it translate to higher media sales (considering the socio economic environment of the country)?
    by the way, from what part of Portugal are you?

13. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

Is that for real?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Tracker still needed.
    Heavy users out of the network, less costs.
    I stopped a long time ago, dont see why anyone else wouldnt.
    I buy much more now than I did back then.
    South.
    Its even worse:
    The real ACTA threat (it's not iPod-scanning border guards)

Tags: Add Tags