1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

This thread really has set me off now though. Gonna be digging it all out when i get back from work tonight :lol:

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm assuming he liked it back in the days of 2nd ed, but got 'nids and Dark Eldar when 3rd ed came out :)

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Yeah probably.On that i'm sure i still have a Rogue Trader kicking about somewhere. And also a mail order catalogue from about 1994 :)

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

For me my top games would be:

1) Mordheim - my group plays this religiously
    2) Warhammer Fantasy Battles
    3) Necromunda
    4) Warmaster - I haven't played this one yet, it just looks interesting to me.

Since I only join the wargaming world towards Q4 of 2010 I don't have much of an opinion with the games yet, but from what I've tried that's the order I'd put them in.
    I doubt anything will knock Mordheim off my top place, I love playing that and running mini custom made scenarios.

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Mordheim is good indeed. I really enjoyed it since it was Necromunda but in the fantasy world, still love necromunda though.

For the actual gameplay element one ofthe best ever was Manowar but it died probably due to the models being painfully small and not inspiring both modeller and player markets.

Don't play the epic scale, it will bore you to tears but titans are fun to paint.

One long time White Dwarf columnist had a great view on the models side of thing, Nigel Stillman. He goes with the idea of model every item which your unit has, regardless of what it is be that magic items, wargear, armour, special items etc. etc. Really gives your models some character and expands your conversion ability.

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

They need Emperator and Warmonger class titan's. The scale models would still be nearly 40 feet high!

7. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

You sir, are correct.

I remember when they had a big clearance sale for all the lead-based models as well before they brought in that new-fangled white metal stuff. Also when codexs used to be nice and thick, then the glossy, thin ones came out. It's still awesome though.

Edit: Actually, I think they did have some Tyrannids in 2nd edition but they weren't very well developed. I have some plastic warriors (the plasic actually looked yellow somehow) that looks like mutated turkeys. There were also genestealers (I got my hands on a patriach model) but I think they were classed under Chaos?

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[​IMG]

Old-school :D

I really liked the Tyranid models that were released in 2nd ed, before these multi-part plastic ones, the ones where the Venom cannon looked like a complete hoor to hold and the massive shovel-like claw hands.

9. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

Hah. I was totally thinking that and wussied out of posting about it due to excessive nerdiness! +1 for manning up and saying it! DE were my first army, I started collecting with the release of 3rd Ed. Good times, redonkulous 14 hour games where 8 different armies took over an entire room floorspace and just battered the hell out of each other until only one was left. Those were the days, when you could ignore the mission rules just for kicks...

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Very rarely ever actually did missions in my 40K games, usually it was either a 6-turn limit or a fight to the death/surrender.

Ah, old-school wargear cards. Eldar Exarch with Swooping Hawk Wings, Executioner (wargear available to any race that could cleave through a Land Raider and kick a Greater Daemons ass), Battle Fortune and a few bits and bobs to boot. Took on Abaddon 4 times and won every time.

I miss the old eldar Dreadnought actually, not this silly "Wraithlord" thing with a sword. It has 2 powerfists for crying out loud, why the hell would it need a sword!

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Today is certainly a case of "WTF!!!"

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod900149a

A mini-Thunderhawk gunship.... ooookay then.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod900150a
    A Blood-angels Furioso Dreadnought that can be either regular Furioso, a Librarian or a Death Company Furioso.... it can have psychic powers... what the hell. Also, a frag cannon??? :eyebrow:

They need to look into their other games again, this is becoming silly.

12. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

So I was at gamesday this year... (excuse the awful phone camera)
    [​IMG]

There was also a guy dressed as an Ork, but he had gone away bofore I could get my camera out

I'll take some photos of my Dark Elves later.

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

14. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Thats a bloody Ultramarine symbol I see... are you naming me one of those pathetic panzies sir? :p Naaah, I'll always prefer the Venerable Dreadnoughts man... stick a Las-cannon on the side and a power fist of win on the other and happy days.

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Bless your cottons... That is a lascannon and Powerfist equipped Dreadnought...

Oh kids these days.... :p

That was the first SM dready to be mass-made I believe, same style as what is in your avatar. Personally I don't like the Venerable thingy, chaplain ones look ok, but vens.... meh.

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I'm going to tear you in half sir. You offend the honour of all Speesh Mareens! Where's Losenis (sorry dude, still can't get your name right!) when I need him for some Space insanity?

yeah that UM was at e3 aswell... I hate the UM's, their the poster boys of the Space Marines. Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, Pre-Heresy Word Bearer's have more awesome than any UM. Plus I like to smash things... so World Eaters to the resc...slaughter!

17. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Haha, that's exactly the ones I was talking about. Actually it doesn't look as bad as I remember, possibly because my youthful painting job made it look like a pizza (classic red and yellow combination Cheesecake).

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Best 40k scenario to play (provided someone has Tyranids) was Tyranid Attack. Unending waves of respawning Tyranids for 6 turns. Any non-tyranids left on the table by the end of turn 6, defenders win. All dead, Tyranids win. Awesome fun. Only won it once when i made Ghazghkull Thraka call the WAAAAGH! during turn 5 (making him invulnerable for the remainder of that turn and all of the next :D )

Also lost horribly to a mate with Imperial Guard in one game due to one single unit.....his Eversor Assassin on combat drugs. 28 Stormboyz around it, a stonkiong great fistful of attack dice and it still killed the bloody lot.

The longer this thread goes on the more tricks and tips i'm remembering aswell lol (mainly for Necromunda)
    - Give your heavy a Plasma Gun instead of a heavy weapon. Then he can move and fire every turn without penalty.
    - If some gets the 'Gunslinger' Shooting skill make sure to give him 4 Plasma Pistols. Then he can fire 2 on maximum power every turn.
    - Always send captured enemies to the mines if you have that territory. More creds = more gear.
    - Don't take any juves. They can't go with the leader to rare trade.

Goddamn it i wanna play NOW!

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

For me, I always took a Gatling cannon (0-20, 20-40; S4; Dam1; Am-1; Sustained fire 3). Cost the same as a Heavy bolter, but that extra sustained fire was brilliant. 9 shots on a good roll with scatter.... tore gangs a new one.

I always ended up with 2 heavies, one with a gatling cannon, the other with a Heavy Plasma Gun. Never needed high power except when the GM threw in a few gribblies to deal with or the "it came from the sump" scenario. Hell, I've used it to annihilate Bloodletters :D Rang 40" with Strength 7... with blast, hell yeah!

Favourite territories were always Vents. Feck all creds, but getting your gangers where you needed them was excellent, or groups of juves.

On the note of juves, I always had a few. I liked training them from scratch essentially. I played with an Escher gang (also had a Spyrer gang) and in close combat, 2 or 3 Juves fighting in a team would tear anyone apart. I actually have 3 sisters repentia that I use for my juves. I always equip them with 2-handed weapons (easier to wound in CC)

I liked to use juves because they become either good all-rounders or fantastic focused gangers.

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Great to see different tactics isn't it :) I always took either Delaque or Orlock. However one ofthe friends i played the most always took Van Saar. After a long campaign he was unbeatable since he never missed and never failed an ammo roll (damned techno skills for all gang members)