1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah i know mate, i did let myself down, mind i am a Geordie and sometimes i might be hard to understand so could be a good thing :D

2. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

There's competitive players, there's casual players, and then, sometimes, just pure assholes. That's all I'll say on the topic ;).

But, more importantly, how are you altikal! Long time no see/talk D:

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

^ I'm glad you hold yourself with such high regard there ^^

4. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Draca! Oh man Ive been busy finishing off this freelance project and applying for jobs etc. I'll be around in a weeks time once things have settled down. Where have you been for ages btw? Looking forward to playing with you all again tbh!

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lol, aye. I don't care about my hit %, i'd not sit there watching advancing team mates under fire when i can help them out supressing the line ahead.

Iirc my lmgs are under 10%, that's what happens when playing as a team.

It depends on my mood though, i also enjoy going lone infiltrator or tank whore.

6. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

I moved back to Australia after I finished my degree, and have been working full time for the last few months. Haven't had the chance to do anything but sleep in my free time lately!

Recently redid my 'battlestation' set-up though, and am now back in shape to get some gaming in when I can on weekends. Obligatory new set-up album is here: http://imgur.com/a/YXOtk

Will try and get on for some BF3 games next weekend :D

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Not played a round in a few weeks and seems I cant now I have time.

What a pathetic mess it is all in.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Couldn't agree more mate, i am am no expert in the world of DOS attacks but how long does this take to eradicate?

I can play a game but doesn't seem to be quite right then i will lose connection, reminds me of BC2, many times i lost connection :sigh:

9. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I guess ANONYMOUS don't like Battlefield 3.

[​IMG]

Probably prefer Call of doody.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

This has little to do with BF3, everything to do with Battlelog, I'm pretty sure that the only person on earth who likes Battlelog is John Riccitiello.

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The later half of this week I have been able to connect to a server on the second attempt.

Though seems a little laggy at times tbh.

Oh and I like Battlelog.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, I like Battlelog too! What is it that you don't like - the fact that you can check your stats from any computer in the world, or the fact that it makes joining games with your friends really, really easy?

13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

My favourite features are that I'm not able to change any of my settings until I'm actually in a server getting shot at, and that as I'm forced to fire up the game every time I want to join a different server it causes me no end of issues as my display driver seems to want to crash 1/3 times I try to boot the game (before you ask - yes, I have tried reinstalling several different versions of the nvidia drivers and no, it doesn't happen with any other game, just BF3).

Don't get me wrong it's well executed and for something that I was initially dreading I don't actually mind it all that much, it's just that it seems utterly pointless as in-game systems work just as well without any of the associated problems. It seems DICE tried and failed so many times at making a decent in-game server browser that they just gave up altogether.

14. Parge

You can change your settings before you spawn - well, that's what I do.

The crashing would get annoying though, are you using Windows 8? My Win8 machine doesn't like me minimizing very much, but it also uses an AMD card, so I can't tell if that's the issue?

15. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

When it works it is ok by me, a little messy but it works. I find myself alt tabbing and manually closing my game window to change servers and what not which to me seems a bit basic and clumsy.

That said if battlelog is going to be a target for abuse which means users are forced offline for weeks at a time then its a bit of a failure tbh especially as EA want it to be the main point of access for other multiplayer titles as well.

16. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I notice you have a Titan and are getting the driver crashes. I used to get these all the time with my Titan, it would crash and I would get message that it was a DirectX error.
    The only way I got around this was to install the latest Beta version of Afterburner (300Beta9 - which you can get from here), set manual voltage settings and then up the power and voltage settings to full.

There is no way I can overclock the Titan and play BF3, I need the full voltage and power levels just to run at stock. Damn rediculous.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well...

i) It's unreliable, aside from the current DOS attacks (and the last ones, ones before them etc) it's nicely prone to crashing and resetting/altering loadouts. Loadouts are stored locally and on cloud, but a crash at your end will reset both.

ii)Why is it a browser plug in again? What amazing functionality does it have that means they couldn't run it from within the Origin client, Steam already does this. Apply this doubly since you must have Origin to use either of the games on Battlelog.

iii)You can't que up full servers whilst playing on other servers. Seriously, Battlefield 2 could do this, reserve a slot on a full server, play on a different server while you wait. Steam can do it too, Steam can do it across different games.

iv) Stats are stored locally, but can only be accessed from the Battlelog browser, why not in game? Another thing BF2 could do in 2005.

v) No You vs Them comparison in the stats pages, yet another thing BF2 had.

vi) No access to game options from Battlelog. You either have do it via single player, or enter a server and hope you don't get idle-booted, which will kick you out the options.

vii) Eight years later, BF2 can still track stats and those stats are accessible from any computer in the world without the use of a browser plug in (here's mine http://bf2s.com/player/71046266/). It's a bit broken record, but there's loads of convenient and useful things Battlefield 2 (and 2142/BC2) could do that Dice seemingly forgot how to make happen in Battlefield 3.

viii) It doesn't auto update, also it doesn't always play nice with Punkbuster, meaning sometimes that has to be manually updated as well.

ix) It only works across BF3 and Doorfighter, that's a lot of hassle for two games, three later in the year. Steam and Origin work across entire libraries, so why add in another layer of 'social network' that does what Origin already does, but only for two games?

Basically, it can't do lots of things it's own predecessor (and current competitors) can. The social aspect is nowhere near as easy/useful as Steam, the reliability/convenience isn't as good as BF2.

It's a system I tolerate to play BF3, but BF3 would be better without it or with it running from within Origin or the game.

18. Parge

Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if I could recruit a few of you for Thursday nights Mechwarrior Online Call to Arms evening. Its like a slower, more mech-ie-er version of BF3 in the sense that its very strategic and your loadout makes a massive difference to how you play.

What’s more, I’m giving away a copy of Medieval II: Total War to whichever new player can turn up and score the most points in a single round. I’ve created a thread here with all the deets!

19. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I can't believe you're stealing people from BF3. I'm going to report you to EA. This is not acceptable.

I might install mechwarrior again sometime. You know one of my favourite battlefields was 2142. It had it all... floaty tanks, mechs, vectored thrust choppers... I'm imagining a sequel where you can upgrade the mechs in same way you do on BF3.

20. Parge

Totally disagree.

1. Battlelog doesn’t store loadouts as you point out. Also what do you define as a crash? My loadouts have never been reset.
    2. Aside from having a friends list, how does Steam have any of the functionality of Battlelog? It doesn’t as far as I can tell? Or are you just talking about the server hosting, in which case its different for every game.
    3. Qeueing up for servers whilst still playing on another? Could be a good feature, and potentially something they should implement.
    4. Having my stats in game doesn’t let me access them from anywhere – I’m always comparing stats or adding friends when I’m out and about – very useful not to have to do this in game if you ask me.
    5. I’d definitely like this feature – should be implemented.
    6. A total non issue – in most games on the market today you have to be in game to change options – and I’ve never spent so long in the options menu that I’ve been idle booted – if by chance you do find that’s a problem – single player!
    7. You don’t need a browser plugin to check your stats soooooo
    8. Not exactly hard to install a 3.6mb patch every 3 months, and I haven’t had any problems with PB
    9. It’ll work with BF4 soon, and presumably most similar games going forward. You say its ‘a lot of hassle’ – is it? I’ve found it literally no hassle at all.