1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

For one thing don't use Fraps, Jess records in 1080p like me and both game at the same resolution. Fraps blows goats tbh.

22minutes 1gig is nothing, wait till it goes to 2gb or more. Can take 90mins to upload or more.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Fraps is all I've ever used... What do you use? I still don't see how it'll get around the 16:10 native problem when YouTube wants and Premiere prefers 16:9.

3. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Try this stuff: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=231402

The highest data rate I've recorded at (I think) was 40GB per min (1080-120p). 1080-30p format transcode settings: 2 pass variable bit rate, average 28MBps, max 50MBps. YT wrecks that though, 15MBps should be alright. So I'm doing 4mins a gig, but I do have the help from 18Mbps upload.

Dxtory does clipping.

Edit -
    Also found a good video guide http://youtu.be/v461iJ318_Q

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks man, never gave that a thought like:lol:

5. Unicorn

Thanks Jes, but without trying that I don't quite follow - are you saying I have to clip the 16:10 video down to 16:9 and move the HUD in closer to screen centre to keep it in frame?

I had to just put this up as it was, nothing I can do to improve it any more and I didn't want to spend any more time on my first video.

[edit]

I didn't realize Youtube would cut the tripe out of it quite as drastically as that. This was a 1GB 960x600 file and it's in 480p?! This took 4 hours to upload on my **** connection, so I can see me uploading absolutely nothing ever again.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  6. October

October Mariachi Style

Get yourself mpeg Streamclip or Xmedia Recode or something like that, fire your original output through it to get it down to a more manageable size before you upload. If it's only gonna be 480p anyway you may as well cut the bitrate down a bit, no need for it to be any bigger than ~200mb.

7. Unicorn

VirtualDub does that, but I didn't create a 1GB file expecting it to come out at 480p on Youtube. I don't want it to be 480p. It looks rubbish, you can't even read the HUD at that resolution.

8. October

October Mariachi Style

Yeah, seems you'd need to export a 720p, whatever way you wanna get to that, for it to stay at 720. I thought YT was more flexible than that.

9. Unicorn

I'll try Jester's method tomorrow night if I have time. It just seems like a silly amount of work just to get a workable video file before it even makes it into Premiere :rolleyes:

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I tend to just use Dxtory, does the job using the same setup Draca uses and a lot of other youtubers.

Straight into Vegas and render/edit etc

11. Unicorn

Yes, but are you gaming at a 16:9 or 16:10 resolution?

12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

16:9 :lol: record 1080p usually render down to 720p.

13. Unicorn

Then I have to say it's a lot easier for you to get workable video, surely you can see that it's more complicated for people with a 16:10 native resolution :/

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well I am a bit thick tbh I hadn't realized that there maybe an issue.

15. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Nice, I can see the experience of another game is strong in you, HALO infulence? Obvious things to me that were awful, strafing during some shots further shots, firing too quickly from moving and before getting ADS'd and too frequent reloading. Good things, smart plays and some good twitching.

Sorry about the advise, sometimes I'm just all sorts of literal so that's why I just responded with recording settings. In the NLE you should be able to specify the project settings, so 1280x720-30p. Then crop and scale the clip to fit (if it's not automatic), expect artifacting though, furryness.

Other than being able to specify the cap region, dxtory is the best performing cap software. A decent alternative is MSI Afterburner - Predator (don't know how this is distributed now). I know Dom's had extensive trouble with FRAPS lagging out the game client, and that is the reason I've never touched it.

16. Unicorn

Haha, is it that obvious? :D As I've mentioned before, Halo Reach is the only thing I've played for the past 19-20 months, so I'm very set in my Halo ways at the moment and have some bad habits to get rid of! I only noticed them when I started watching my own BF3 footage back, but have seen the same things in my Reach videos* too which are now second nature when playing it. I definitely need to get rid of the constant reloading, excessive strafing whilst scoped/aiming and strafing whilst trying to make long distance shots. A couple of those have been there since my CSS days, especially the excessive reloading which I Know I won't be able to get rid of because I tried to stop it in Reach earlier this year and still found myself reloading the sniper rifle after 1 or 2 shots... I did the same in CSS, but in Reach it becomes a huge habit if you snipe all the time because of the 4-round mag. Before you know it, you're reloading every weapon early. Old habits die hard :(

I think the biggest of those that I need to kill ASAP is firing before ADS. That's definitely spawned from Halo (no iron sights in CSS!) because it's the equivalent of suppressive fire in Halo - it has KOOS so as soon as you see an enemy across the map, you tag them with the DMR to make sure they're not scoped on you, then in the same movement you scope on them and start doing damage with more precise shots.

Thanks for the tips. I'll work on the bad habits :thumb:

*I've been meaning to get a capture card and get them onto my PC for editing and uploading to YouTube.

No problem, I think it'll be helpful and hopefully I'll be able to get the 16:10 cropped to 16:9 for good footage without making a pigs ear of it :p I'd heard of Dxtory here before, but didn't realize the number of features it had over FRAPS.

Getting back to this, I assume you were talking about the G602 Dom? I'm not convinced by the shape! I can see that over sized thumb rest and the large size in general being annoying after so much time with my hand on the sleek G5.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2013
  17. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I should be around for some games later this evening, I kind of slept too long today so got some stuff I need to catch up on.

Moved back to my Mech Keyboard so lets see how that effects my gameplay. Some issues with the Logitech I was testing out, and the G500s last night. Not sure if related.

18. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I will be on tonight Dom, will be on TS on the BnB server, need to sort TS volume out so i can hear folk talking though

As usual for me around 8 most likley

19. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

My thoughts: "What is he doing?!"

20. Unicorn

:(

In my defence and FWIW, my "bad habits" served me extremely well in CSS for 5 years (strafing is a must) and I'm consistently untouchable in Reach, and it's a result of my use of many of those techniques. I know where you're coming from though, I need to work on them if I'm going to keep playing Battlefield.