Other General Election - 8 June 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by jinq-sea, 18 Apr 2017.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

To be fair, it is possible to have scientific evidence-based government. Plenty of research done in education, physical and mental health, environmental sciences, psychological and social sciences and economics. We actually already know what works and what doesn't. But government policy is still too often based on ideology rather than pragmatic evidence.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea but we can't have that because everyone knows academia has been infiltrated by liberal loony leftists and SJW's. ;)

In other election related news it seems Macron got hacked with the prime suspect being Russia.

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Last edited: 2 Jun 2017
    Corky42 likes this.
  4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Well I know why I've never registered to vote before... Even my old hotmail account didn't get this much bloody spam!

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Blimey. She's really struggling.

"'Three minutes of nothing': Herald reporter reflects on PM encounter"

I had a list of four questions, all on local issues, carefully prepared with the help of my newsroom colleagues.

Two visits in six weeks to one of the country's most marginal constituencies – is she getting worried?

"I'm very clear that this is a crucial election for this country."

Plymouth is feeling the effects of military cuts. Will she guarantee to protect the city from further pain?

"I'm very clear that Plymouth has a proud record of connection with the armed forces."

How will your Brexit plan make Plymouth better off?

"I think there is a better future ahead for Plymouth and for the whole of the UK."

Will you promise to sort out our transport links?

"I'm very clear that connectivity is hugely important for Plymouth and the South West generally."

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/thr...pm-encounter/story-30363961-detail/story.html

Edit:

Even more interesting. Owen Jones was sent this tonight by a BBC journalist (apparently corroberated as genuine). She has withdrawn from interviews on BBC's local radio network.

If true, this is very serious damage limitation. She is struggling big time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Jun 2017
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

They're all struggling, they all thought this would be 'the Brexit election,' when really it's the 'we're all shitting our pants about our jobs, our pensions, who's going to pay for mum's dementia care, can keep us safe, can keep us free too oh and what's your game plan for carrying out/stopping Brexit?' election.

None of them have a plan for questions other than Brexit, least of all Mrs May be regretting her decision.

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Sure, in a sense they are all struggling, but May is struggling so much she's withdrawing from interviews left, right & centre. This campaign is not going well for her at all.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Whatever happened to freedom of the press?

Is she so scared she had to gag them?

9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I imagine it was an internal decision. Can you imagine the reaction if the "libtard BBC" was seen to be "working against her"?

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Possible, they probably don't want to give the Dailyfail and Sun mob an excuse.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's actually pretty good. :thumb: :clap:

Then again I'm in my late 40's so what do i know, i do however think it's better than that Liar, Liar song that's currently in the iTune charts.

12. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

As I've said before, I don't normally participate in politics and elections, but I think even I might this time round.

If you're at all on the fence with this one, then ffs vote Labour. I have no faith Labour will be any good, but anything, absolutely anything, has got to be better than these money-grabbing Tory *****.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

[​IMG]
    Turns out that "nobody will vote for Corbyn because he's unelectable. Corbyn is unelectable because nobody will vote for him" only works so long as nobody actually sees any coverage of Corbyn.

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yea, even though someone else mixed it to music, his "normal" content is usually entertaining on its own. :)

Here's one of his more usual videos which he posted after the BBC leaders debate.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Why should it be removed from the political sphere? It's an important service the same ways that roads, schools, etc are, with many complex issues surrounding it. Although I do agree that seeing it used as a partisanal football is getting rather tiring, and essentially stifles the conversation anyway.

Today I heard someone say "The NHS has replaced Christianity as the national religion of the UK." which I thought was rather apt, especially when you consider all the various warring 'sects' e.g. the NHS is being privatised and eventually you will be treated by satan himself, the NHS is woefully inefficient i had to wait 4 years to get a toenail clipped because my doctor is lazy, etc (hyperbole added for comic effect).

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I would say it should because unlike roads and schools, peoples health is more immediate, things like roads and schools often takes a long time to feel the effect of political decisions.

It's not like one government decides to build a new road and the next tears it down and a change in the curriculum or funding of schools tends to have a minimal impact over the short term, most governments don't propose that we should stop teaching the basics.

IMO the NHS is a different beast as structural and financial changes have both short and long term effects, underfunding can lead to people being left with lifelong problems and even dying while structural changes have the same effect over long periods because you change the way things are done.

Personally I'd like to see something along the lines of x% of GDP always being spent on the NHS and the structural side or how it's run being left to an independent board, mainly made up from people representing the healthcare services.

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Seeing the impact the repeated and dramatic GCSE curriculum changes have had over the last few years, this definitely isn't true. For example, English GCSE have gone from the normal mix of coursework and exams, to emphasising 'controlled assessments' (basically coursework done in exam conditions), to dropping coursework almost entirely to focus on final-year exams. All while continuously churning through different reading material, and the current total and utter cluster**** of a change in mark schemes: teachers are being requested to give estimated grades for pupils in the previous A-F scale, are being told that exams will be graded in a band 10-1 scale (reversed), and being given grade boundaries for neither. A practice paper is marked at 70%, but no exam board can tell you what grade band this falls into. But if teachers do not give predicted bands that match up with the students eventual actual results, they will be held accountable for it.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@edzieba, yea sorry i didn't mean to imply the current state of the education system isn't in a bit of a mess, just that unlike healthcare there's little risk of people dying or being left with lifelong health issues.

If i had a choice I'd also take some parts of education out of the hands of politicians but that's a harder sell than taking healthcare policy away from the politicians.

I'm almost expecting Mrs May to pullout at the last minute.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's going to really stick in my head now. :)