1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Election - 8 June 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by jinq-sea, 18 Apr 2017.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Glad I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing the back of Corbyn - I've always had a suspicion he's happy to be an anarchist and exploit his position to spend every breath criticising the Tories, but has as much substance as a celery stick when it actually comes to leading a party (let alone a country).

I have no problem holding my hand up and saying I abstain in every election, because frankly I don't care what colour tie or badge someone wears, I only care about what they say, and I have yet to hear anything other than by-the-numbers cookie-cutter promises, petty counter-arguments and blatant question dodging from EVERY SINGLE candidate in my adult voting life.

You put a politician in front of me that can answer a yes/no question without spewing 35 words of bollox and i'll put a tick in a box.

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

As my fans will know, I don't tend to participate in politics and elections, and don't expect to this time round either.

But I can't help observing that, at least from where I'm sitting, it seems the mainstream media has almost uniformly suppressed Corbyn's Labour - I mean, there's barely any genuine stories about him/Labour in terms of what alternatives they're suggesting. The only stuff that gets aired is the stuff intended to undermine him. Virtually nothing on policies, but oh look, here's Corbyn posing next to a toilet.

So maybe Corbyn is indeed spineless/useless and has nothing worthwhile to offer, but I get the sense that that's not necesssarily the case, but because his Labour represents a step back from the political movement of the past 30 years, something more genuinely socially motivated as opposed to economically motivated, almost the entire media machine is working to ensure that movement doesn't gain any significant momentum with the public.

But like I say, I'm almost beyond the periphery on this sort of topic, so happy to be corrected, but so far, all I'm seeing is anti-Corbyn rhetoric.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

£500Bn

I'd also say the fact he voted against the whip 617 times goes a fair way to show why he isn't taken seriously.

Blairism only worked because it appealed to the aspiration/chattering classes, and said it was OK to make money. Until a Labour leader takes a similarly center-ist view, they are unelectable.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Voted Passed: 522 For, 13 Against.

Thought against would definitely be higher.

6. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Me too. It's like the entire House of Commons has just bent over, ready and willing...

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I note the SNP abstained, wouldn't it be great if the SNP mp's had some gonads and did not obey, without question, the orders of Sturgeon, they are embarrassing. The way that the SNP behaves in the the chamber generally by showing that they cannot have any other opinion except that of Nichola Sturgeon.

8. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I agree about Corbyn. I think he lacks backbone and integrity. I would trust him as far as I could throw him. The only problem I have is 99% of the other MP's share the same traits (or lack of) too. Really don't know who I will be voting for, I'll have to look into the independents standing for my constituency.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

The narrative from Corbyn is very good - BUT , he is the wrong person to deliver it ; a centre left Labour would be a good option , a `new left` is not

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It shouldn't be in 'serious' - I started the post here on purpose. Start one in serious if you want a non-light hearted chat about it.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Indeed, however I'm not sure about the light hearted thing, I've been told MPs don't have hearts and some of them are anything but light, apparently it's all those three course meals. :)

13. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

How do we get lightning to come out Theresa May's hands?

15. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Not sure, but one thing is for sure - If she strikes him down he'll become more powerful than she can possibly imagine.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Which is why I'll probably vote for Plaid Cymru this time, because they did exactly that to launch this year's local elections manifesto.

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

If only the election was on the 6th June, then she could....

[​IMG]

19. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Fair play to them:thumb: And they got freebies too!!

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]