1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Help me decide on a monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Beast, 21 Nov 2009.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

ASUS VW266H, HP 2509m, Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 are the three monitor I've focused on lately. I want a monitor that is: 23"-25" wide screen, around $300, plays movies/games well with no ghosting. Right now I own a Hp w1907 so I'm kinda bias to the Hp.

Asus VW266H: $299
    [​IMG]
    Pros: largest of the three, connectivity
    Cons: base, quality,price (usually has a MIR)

Hp 2509m: $270
    [​IMG]
    Pros: Glossy screen, looks
    Cons: base, warranty

Samsung SyncMaster XL2370: $299
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pros: Looks (stunning), LED back lit, thin (.5"), touch button bezel, view angle
    Cons: base, smallest of the three

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

check out the BenQ G2220HD which is a very good monitor for the money

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

May I suggest to wait wait until your budget grows, and get a LCD that is a IPS panel with adjustable stand. My recommendation is on the Dell U2410.
    Pros:
    + Connectivity (component, composite, 2x DVI, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort)
    + Provided Video Cabled (1x DVI, 1x Display Port, 1x VGA)
    + Stand (fully adjustable - portrait/landscape mode)
    + Picture in Picture - Great if you have a second system or laptop - use with InputDirector (free) so that you can use the same keyboard and mouse to control both computers, and pass copy&Paste between systems.
    + virtually no backlit bleeding
    + very bright
    + View angle is awsome
    + Very low input lag and non-visible ghosting no mater how fast or shaky your game is or video. That is my perspective compared to my CRT (and nothing beats that, on that department)
    + Impressive color accuracy, with 2 pre-calibrated color profile done for you (Adobe RGB and RGB mode)
    + 24inch 1920x1200 - 16:10 ration (that is 1200p if you wonders
    + 3 year warranty
    + Looks great, professional
    + Non Glossy screen
    + True 8-bit panel with 12-bit Look Up Table. Unlike your mentioned LCD's (6-bit panel) you don't lose colors.

Cons:
    - Price
    - Second PiP mode output mode is loss if that source is disconnected.. can be a little annoying for a laptop... I got used to it. Nothing critical in my opinion.

I'll probably post my review on it soon on this forum.

The_Beast likes this.
  4. The_Beast

How does 1080p TV shows look on the screen? It's a cool monitor but it's too out of budget at this time

What I bolded in your quote is really the only thing I see that I like/would use. PiP is cool but I don't have 2 systems, video cables don't care I have them already, color accuracy isn't super important since I'm not editing photos, adj. stand I plan on buying another monitor/s for a duel/tri setup later down the road.

5. GoodBytes

What you put in bold, is what good IPS panel provides. On youtube you can find video comparison between a TN panel and IPS. Many will say that IPS panel response time is lower than a TN panel. Yes, it is true on a technical level, however they both will look the same, and here is why:
    - TN panel is a 6-bit panel... to produce 8-bit color is take 2 near color it can produce and flash between them really really quickly to trick your eyes in that color that it can't produce. In result, when a movie or the moving object is using colors that the monitor can't produce, it needs to do some sort of can't catch up, which you end up with the same response rate at a visual level (what you perceive) than a 16ms IPS panel display. And if its a low end TN panel... it can be really bad, to a level of flickering when the object moves.

A 6-bit panel can produce only: 262 144 colors total... as it might seams a big number, considering that your eyes can see several billion colors, that is very few colors. (a gradient wont' be smooth, without it's technology to trick you into producing it's missing colors) So basically, they is A LOT of color it can't produce. To produce the mentioned 16 777 216 colors, it uses the technology I mentioned. So basically, about any thing will produce the side effect which makes a TN panel appear much slower than what is on paper.

Granted this particular model is a little over your needs, but perhaps you can save a little more, and get a different IPS model with less features. Of course, not all IPS panels are perfect, so you need to check some reviews. I haven't checked reviews, but the Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WA might interest you. It's 22inch, 8-bit Look up table with 8-bit panel (so it can produce true 16million colors), IPS panel, no touch sensitive controls nor all the other fancy menchy features of the U2410. If you are intrested in a Dell assembled screened, you have 30 days money back return (return shipping paid by Dell), so if you don't like it, you can return it easily to them. Of course, check what I said about the Dell return policy with Dell BEFORE ordering, in case they changed something or is different for your region.

IPS vs TN - view angle test:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM
    You can found a bunch other videos like this, showing with a different models is you don't believe the difference.

P.S: I dont' know about you per say.. but i think an adjustable stand is important. I dont' know, when I see non adjustable screen on people desk (or from my job) I found them WAY to low. I have to put stack of printer paper to lift the monitor to a proper height, so that I can sit a little better at the desk. One thing I hated about CRT was exactly that... too low stand.

I would like also to clear up, that when I said not ghosting, or virtually no input lag.. this is NOT using tools to really determine this, but rather what you really see yourself.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2009
  6. The_Beast

You keep confusing me. The Asus says 16.7 million color, the Hp and Samsung don't say anything about color totals. ISP panels are hard to search for, nothing really comes up in terms of monitors. The Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WA is a great monitor but I wanted something bigger/higher resolution.

I don't know what to think anymore :sigh: :confused:

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The Dell2209WA would be a good choice, however it is smaller.

The_Beast likes this.
  8. The_Beast

I'd buy it, it's just that it's only 22", I'd like at least a 23"

9. Elton

Hmm..This will fit your bill:

the Viewsonic VP2365WB.

23" of E-IPS goodness.

10. The_Beast

Reviews says it isn't very bright so it looks dull

11. Elton

Lack of brightness isn't too bad. And there's always a way to compensate, at any rate it fits all your criteria and exceeds some.

I wouldn't let the brightness thing bother you, most monitors aren't meant to be 100% brightness, well unless you like to wear sunglasses in the dark.

12. GoodBytes

16.7 million colors is what it can produce with dithering.
    Dithering is the technology I describe (where it take 2 colors of the 262144 color it can produce, and switch between them contently, to TRY and trick your eyes to try to give you the missing colors). All TN panel are 6-bit panels only and use dithering technique to try to produce the missing colors to reach 8-bit color range (16 Million colors).

IPS panel starts at 8-bit (it can be higher).
    TN panel are popular as it cost nothing to produce compared to IPS.

The_Beast likes this.
  13. The_Beast

I'm really confused right now, I really like the Samsung. It isn't as big as I wanted it too be but it's so thin and pretty. My current monitor (Hp w1907) is great that's why I choose the Hp to be one of my choices, I kinda like the glossy screens. The Asus is big, cheap and has good reviews on it.

Now you two bring up all their faults none of the reviews mentioned (which is good for me in the long run) and talk about ISP monitors which I know nothing about and are hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for (which I don't compared to you guys)

What would you say the biggest fault of the Samsung is? Hp? Asus?

14. Elton

All of the ones you mention contain TN panels, which have less accurate and good colors(in terms of reproduction), some do Suffer from backlight bleeding(IPS panels do to a lesser extent), they could possibly have Inverse Ghosting.

And it's not too good of an investment to get a monitor that has sub-par picture quality.

15. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Personally i dont pay to much attention to monitors i can't really see the difference between the range of monitors or tv's, they all look the same really.

I would go with the Samsung one, that model looks really nice, would go well on my desk lol.

16. Elton

It's one of those, never go back things, at one you really do start to notice the difference, they you're screwed. :D

17. The_Beast

^^ some of the you-tube videos are pretty convincing on the TN/ISP panels ^^

Could you see the price of the U2410 coming down anytime before Christmas? or promos?

18. Elton

Nope, I can say that for sure, the U2410 will stay about $575-$800.

The_Beast likes this.
  19. GoodBytes

Kinda too late... I think
    You missed a US special of 50$ off a few weeks ago. As for Canada, there was in October (this is when I got mine), a 2 day only special of 250$ off.. bringing the display from 750$ Canadian down to 500$ Canadian. All you can do, is watch the interested models from Dell website, and everyday check for it. That is what I did to catch such special. I waited 3 month.

When the U2410 in US was released, it was 450$, and every month it increased priced, to the price of now and stayed there. In Canada it was 750$ since day one.

The sucky thing with Dell, is that the page that shows all the specials... doesn't even show half of all the special. You have to dig them up. :/

What you can try, is negotiate a price with Dell. This is what I did for my laptop, I got an amazing price on it. I tried for the monitor... but because it was already on special, it was no go. But I am sure, that if you are patient, you should fall onto someone that is willing to give you a discount. If you want to try it (remember, that if you are not happy with the price, just say it doesn't satisfy you, and end the conversation, no harm done), is to call Dell Small Business. I haven't tried Dell Home, but I read that Dell won't budge a penny, but small business can do crazy stuff. If they as you your business, just say like I did, family buisness. And voila your done... no company name required or anything. Also, I dont' know for Dell accessories, but if it's like my laptop, then tech support service is way better service over Dell home. So it's a double win situation.

Patients always pays. Not only you allow to have a bigger budget, but you can fall onto a special, and save on it, and get a better model. The cool thing when you go this path.. is that when you place your order. So you win a lot this way. As I did. If I purchased a new monitor without the wait I pass through, I would have end up with an LCD that I won't enjoy... and end up still using my 17inch CRT for everything. So have a dual screen setup. The wait was TOTALLY worth it.

The_Beast likes this.
  20. The_Beast

I don't think they would discount it to a price I would pay. They has a $120 discount a few months ago, it was still $480 which is still more than I would pay even for that good of a monitor. If they would come down to around $450 they I would buy it but $600 is just too much for me.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2009