1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Help me decide on a monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Beast, 21 Nov 2009.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Well thanks for all your help

I just ordered the U2410, with a sound bar, free shipping.... for under $500, more than I wanted to spend but I think in the long run worth it

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You will love this monitor. :thumb:

3. The_Beast

I hope so

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Oh you will, and at least try to hand calibrate it. :thumb:

5. The_Beast

I sure will

6. The_Beast

I just got it an 1/2 hour ago, it's amazing

There are 2 stuck pixels, but they are in the upper left corner, not in the middle of the screen so it's not worth returning

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

2233Rz 120hz

8. The_Beast

what?

9. GoodBytes

He suggests a Samsung monitor.. not adjustable stand, with the most color inaccurate (saturation is SUPER high.. everything is near to look cartoonish), but it's 120Hz. The reason for this, is to use Nvidia 3D glasses (another expensive accessory), so that you have 3D graphics coming our of this monitor. The way it works is that the monitor output 2 images, one at a time, for each of your eye at a 60Hz rate (60x2 = 120). With that, you have the 3D glasses that blocks one eye at a time eye at a 60Hz rate per eye... so basicaly each eye see their own perspective and tricks your brand in seeing 3D. The glasses lense are LCD that flash black to block, else its transparent (not true transparent.. more like sunglasses feel), and this is why you have the color over saturated, so that they look somewhat normal when you use the Nvidia 3D glasses.

Getting both is more expensive than the Dell U2410, and is reported to cause headache on th long run (too much flickering.. feels like the early CRT tube monitor or the ones set at 60Hz refresh rate). It's just a gadget toy, and not worth the money.

10. The_Beast

And considering I'm typing with a U2410 right in front of me now it's too late anyways

11. GoodBytes

Cool, what are your first impression?

If it might interest you, they are color calibration for this monitor on the internet.. of course not every monitor is the same, and every color calibration tool has their own "calibrated colors", but it might help, if you have an issue.

On mine this is what I did. Compared to my CRT, this monitor produces better colors in Adobe RGB, and based in real life (as i am no professional), it's also seam to provide realistic colors. So I decided to replicate Adobe RGB into Custom Profile. I just switch between profiles, continuously (a little annoying.. but it's those thing you do once until the life time of the monitor), so that both profile match at a near identical (make sure that brightness and contrast is the same for both profile and at 50/50 both during such calibration method). In result I have custom profile that looks at the eye 99% correct, which I use for everyday, and provides me no dittering (as it can produce colors that the monitor can't normally produce using the technique of taking 2 colors and switch between them.. which provides you the 12-bit emulated colors) and faster response rate and lower input lag (it doesn't affect my gaming.. but hey why not). And when I do picture editing.. I switch to Adobe RGB.

The only big change that was required, in the custom profile, was that saturation on red was a tad too much, and that the green was a tad too yellowish

Anyway just an idea, to get full potential of the monitor.

Here are my configuration.. in the case you have the same lamp for the monitor:
    - Gain: R = 100, G = 100, B = 100 (default)
    - Offset: R = 100, G = 100, B = 100 (default)
    - Hue: All of them = 50 (default)
    - Saturation: R = 45, G= 65, B=55, C = 50, M = 50, Y = 54.
    Using Windows default color profile.

Hope this helps in enjoying the best experience of this monitor in colors. I personally love that in games as you see the art style of the game better, and makes it come to life, even in games like TF2.

BTW, scan for scratches or dead pixels carefully while you can still return it. (if you have dead pixels... just say you don't like it.. and order a new one). If you have a scratch, even on the stand, Dell will completely replace your monitor. :)

12. The_Beast

First impression I thought it was huge, which it is, secound it was worth the money

I did a scan for dead pixels, there are two. One at the highest, leftest point of the screen and another just 10 pixels down from it. I don't really think it's worth waiting and the cost of shipping it back to them for those two

edit, never mind, no dead pixels. it was firefox that was caused the false dead pixels

Last edited: 4 Dec 2009
  13. GoodBytes

Shipping back is paid by Dell (well... it is in Canada.. so it should be the same). :)

14. The_Beast

Some how on firefox it "locks" the upper most left pixel and another one just below the title bar

I'll post a review of the monitor and the sound bar after a couple weeks of use

15. GoodBytes

Use Everest (trial version is fine), where you run a Monitor full test to make sure everything is perfect. If you have a dead/stuck pixel, I would return it.
    Any case, the monitor is now on special: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=320-8277, so you can save.

Link to Everest trial: http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en&page=11

In the program, go on the menu bar, go to Tools > Monitor Diagnostic. A panel will open. Select everything, if it's not already, and click on Run selected Test. Don't click on Auto run selected Test, as you won't have time to see for any problems.

Alternatively, the monitor has a conditioning process that might allow you identify bad pixels.
    On the monitor, hit the menu pop-up button, then go in "Menu", then go to "Other Settings". Finally enable the LCD conditioning. You will be prompted with a message box to continue

To ensure it's not just Firefox, maximize the window by scaling it.. like don't do a real maximize.. scale it the biggest as you can, and move it a few pixels around.. see if these bad pixels move... if they do.. it's firefox.. else it's the monitor, and I would call Dell and say I am not satisfied with it, and order a new one.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2009
  16. The_Beast

It's firefox, I tried on my original monitor, same thing same spot. And just to be safe I ran a couple of dead pixel testers

17. GoodBytes

ok, great! It's probably some add-on that does this.

18. The_Beast

I kinda like my two screen set-up, the new u2410 and my old Hp w1907 but my mom/brother want my old one, so they'll get it

BTW, using Dell small business worked great, it saved me $100 and I got free shipping and a free sound bar. I really can't thank you enough :thumb:

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Man, I gotta get myself one of these.

Well once my 1970NX and my LCD1860NX get too old of course.

20. The_Beast

I'd say it's worth it :rock: