1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films How long till blu ray is mainstream

Discussion in 'General' started by Thatguy119, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Member

It would not be from them, thats just a link to show the product.

2. veato

veato I should be working

3. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Pure digital distribution depends on bandwith, and that's still a huge issue in large parts of europe...

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

So Im walking around Wal-Mart getting stuff for my trip and wandered into the Electronics dept. Magnavox BluRay player $128 and a whole section of new BluRay movies for $12 each. DVD movies - $15 to $19

Just sayin

5. MacWalka

MacWalka New Member

I think Blu-Ray will become the next mainstream media. I don't think people will upgrade their DVD collection unless they have films they really love. I still have a load of old VHS that I never bought on DVD and still have a video player too.

I just think that digital distribution will take people too long to get a new film en masse. Especially in the UK, we don't have a great internet infrastructure. If everyone who has a computer and currently watches DVDs had to start downloading films off the internet, it would take some major upgrades to make that viable without it taking longer to download a movie than it does to watch it.

Not to mention the gift factor. I know people on here buy Steam purchases and iTunes purchases as gifts but I think the general population (me included) prefer to give people physical gifts for Christmas, birthdays etc.

Once Blue-Ray drops in price for players and films, we will see it become mainstream. Afterall DVDs were really expensive when they first came out.