1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP acquires Palm for $1.2 billion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 29 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Party for Palm at Todd Bradley's house :)

But seriously it seems like a good deal for HP and palm probably have a ton of patents that would justify this purchase anyway.

3. darklord of chaos

darklord of chaos What's a Dremel?

"It's thought that HP will continue to develop in and invest in WebOS, both for smartphones and - interestingly - for slate-format devices as well " - does seem a good idea and give a fourth option to the market but addmittidly I do not know much about webOS.

4. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Saw this comment on Engadget, had to repost it.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Seems a bit expensive to me.

6. veato

veato I should be working

I liked the Pre. Some of its features were excellent. It was unfortunately let down by crashing and drove the missus to despair. It could have been an excellent device.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I think HP has probably bought the company more for its use in an iPad-alike rather than any kind of smartphone. I'm not sure it's worth that much, but obviously HP sees some future use for Palm's technology & know-how.

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Isn't webos supposed to be horribly insecure? That is a big problem in a smartphone and an even bigger problem for a slate device imo. Am I the only one who thinks that phone OSes aren't the way forward for slates? I really think nokia and intel have the right idea with meego.

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Everything has holes. Holes can be patched.

Also, since WebOS is based on the Linux kernel, it's inherent advantage is that it can be scaled up or down to run on a variety of hardware, from RISC architecture devices to full scale x86 hardware. I think I can see how HP would be excited to have such an OS on board.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i would love a WebOS based tablet though. a re-designed interface will make it miles better than ipad

11. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

We already have MeeGo in one corner - I would have appreciated if Palm just joined the coalition and just stop the (proper) Linux OS arms race so they can fight against Symbian^3 (N8 is tempting me away from my N900, believe it or not) Apple's iPhone OS and Android, and WinMo 7.

12. mull

mull What's a Dremel?

I'm much more excited about an HP Slate with WebOS than Windows 7. Windows 7 on a touchscreen is a horrible kludge.

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I definitely don't think that a full-fat desktop os is the way forward for slates. But we do need something that has more to offer than a phone os. That's why I'm excited about meego.

14. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

My thoughts exactly.

15. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Palm needs to distance themselves from sprint. I hardly know anyone who uses the sprint network. And since most people really can't afford an unlocked smart phone, they have to get Pres through sprint.

16. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

1.2 billion might be expensive, until you take into account all of Palms patents wardrobe for handheld devices! Generally it means that if Apple decide to go after HP with patent infringement like they have with HTC - HP now have the means to counter sue based on Palms patents.

This is why HTC wanted them in the first place, and also google!

17. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

just dont touch the openness of webos please

18. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

Well, i hoped that WebOS would silently die. Between Symbian, Meego, Android, Maemo, Apple crap and gods know how many other proprietary systems we really don't need another slow, unstable, shady (continuously reporting location to who-knows-where) and full of holes system. Three big OSes for mobile devices is enough to keep the competition hot, more than five is too much and causes too much software market segmentation.

On a side note, everybody wanted Palm, the company in itself is worthless but they own a sh*tload of patents. If you own Palm and have a lot of money, you can successfully sue pretty much everyone, from Microsoft and Apple to your damn local meat store.

19. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

20. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

GreatOldOne likes this.
Tags: Add Tags