1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. xrain

xrain Minimodder

That is a gorgeous color, I think that would serve the car very well. Help to tie the interior to the exterior. Best of all, it's subtle! No angry red, just black with hints of red. Do it GOO! :clap:

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

awesome choice

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I agree, thats very nice and will go well with your pink....sorry RED interior :)

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That color is awesome. Now I want everything to look like that. Toaster, camera, bicycle, speakers...

:wallbash:

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Lovely colour GOO, I was focussing on BMW colours as a nod to its heart. I've seen a few jags in that colour and they always look mint.

6. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Another +1 to the colour choice here, can't wait to see it.

And a belated happy birthday to you sir GOO.

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'm just back from the bodyshop, and couldn't be more excited. They're a motorsport outfit, and as such are used to painting fibreglass & ali.

There where some interesting kit in there - historic LeMans Prototypes being spruced up, and what looked to me like a Bristol in a prep area undergoing a full bare metal resto.

Best of all was the back end of a Porsche 962 in Tic Tac livery. The chap who runs the place showed me it, and everything on it was painted. No decals. Awesome. :D

Looks like it's going to cost about £1500, and he'll collect and drop the parts off to me if I dismantle and re-assemble. I think I'm going to have to wait until after Le Mans this year as my weekends are packed for the rest of May... But I'm very very excited!!!

Actually, the best part of the trip was coming back via the B-roads, and getting caught in a village where the road narrows and a chaved out Corsa coming in the opposite direction had to wait for me to come through.

"Get a roof, you ****er" shouts the baseball cap'd twunt driving.

At which point I do the only natural thing - drop it down a cog and let Vikki have her head and leave them looking startled... She's very loud in confined spaces at high RPM.

Bwhahahaha! :lol:

8. stonedsurd

Haha, most excellent. :D

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Superb colour choice GOO! :thumb:

I also approve of your method of dealing with ASBO drivers.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You set off any car alarms yet? The scoob does that quite often, especially in multi-story car parks. :D

11. GreatOldOne

No, I haven't. I really must try harder. :lol:

Latest pics, as I've fitted some new bits and bobs I picked up at Stoneliegh at the weekend:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wind deflectors - Perspex for the time being, as I could buy ready shaped blanks without mounting holes, and drill my own to match the hinge positions. The hinges themselves are placed as far apart as possible considering the length of the windscreen post. You can see why it was neccessary to make the new windscreen knobs now, as the original black plastic ones wouldn't have allowed the deflector to sit where it is.

I'll see if I can get some toughened glass ones made up to the same shape as the perspex ones later on, as they can be used as templates.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another bit of bling - a badge bar. You often see these fitted to old cars, so motoring association badges and the like can be attached. I wanted it as I liked the MOC enamel badge, and wanted to mount it 'properly'. I then had to get something to balance it out, hence the vintage repro AA badge. I guess I better join now. :)

[​IMG]

I think she looks splendid with her medals. :D

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That last photo looks beastly

Great job :thumb:

13. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

Woah man that's a nice car. Props to you for investing the time and money into it. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult would you say it was/is?

14. GreatOldOne

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say it was mostly an 8. It's not a big mecanno set like a Caterham or a Westie, but neither is it like building a car from scratch.

The build manual (Ha!) isn't very helpful, as it hasn't been updated from the old Sierra based donors, and advice from the owners of Marlin can be 'brusque' to the point of rude at times. Help and advice from other builders is much more useful.

Would I build a Marlin again? Yes, but I'd know what I was letting myself in for this time. ;)

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Well done, GOO.
    That interior looks red on those images... rather than pink. :)

16. GreatOldOne

17. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

That is awesome, very well done Goo! I had been thinking about in-car intercoms for a while and the cheapness that you made your own is very impressive! Mines not quite loud enough (and i plan to get a second box on the exhaust to quieten it down) to warrant it however!

Good luck on your search for a DAB radio :)

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's pretty magnificent - I can feel a mod for my Peltors coming on with a DAB/FM radio for listening whilst in use.

19. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Su-weeet! I love it when I stumble across an AWESOME thread that is nearly finished. That looks like one hell of a ride, can't wait to see it painted soon!

20. stonedsurd

The elctronics work in this are what blows me away. The mechanical stuff I have a knack for, but little things (especially those I would suck at) are always impressive.