1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7-4770K CPU Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 1 Jun 2013.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I wasn't implying anything :duh:, i simply stated a fact "that we are told people want" unless you don't consider sale figures or other information as being told something :confused:

Being that "Told" is Past tense of tell i don't get what the issue is.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Obviously I just misunderstood you. My bad, no worries. :)

Last edited: 4 Jun 2013
  3. Nexxo

Spot the deliberate reveal: in the Intel keynote speech at Computed early this morning (GMT speaking), someone shows a prototype fanless Haswell tablet that looks suspiciously like a Surface RT --thin and light, but with a full-fat quad-core Intel CPU. Good times are coming. :)

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

5. Nexxo

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

haha, notice how all of their phone tablets on stage are connected to the power.

Phablets? no thanks. I'll stick with my 3.5 inch smart phone that fits in my pocket. We are at the point more powerful devices won't do much, it'll just suck more power, require bigger battery.

7. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Well as someone who is a habitual upgrader and often for pointless reasons other than I want new tech; for the first time I'm not interested in upgrading.

I don't build a PC for how much power it will save me. I build them for fun and to see how far I can push it. Haswell isn't calling out to me, it feels more like an Ivybrige with better stepping.

I usually use the excuse that my son's or wife's pc needs an upgrade, so I upgrade mine and one of them gets my system. As my wife is on ivybridge and my son is on sandybridge I really can't justify a new system for me as neither of them will benefit from my ivybridge system.

I shall wait now and see if a Haswell-E system comes out. I gave socket 2011 a miss as I had just built a 980x system, but looking at how strong that socket still looks, Haswell-E may well get me tempted.

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Just read through the whole thing. Some hilarious marketing gibberish that means absolutely nothing.
    70% of an unknown group of mothers say "technology" makes them better mothers, apparently. He didn't define what exactly that technology was but hey, who cares if they even once considered it meant a tablet or PC?

Oh and I'm glad to see Intel has moved onto building chips with magic instead of relying on that rubbish 'Science'. The future!

9. Xir

Xir Modder

I'm on socket 939 as well, IB was going to be my upgrade, now probably haswell (once a few MoBo tests show up...Toms has some)

10. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Personally I wouldn't of even bothered replying to him. Everyone has their reasons. Life goes on and at the end of the day the testing is what matters. Some people just have too much time on their hands to critique others. Time that's better used on themselves.

12. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

"" but if you're looking for a CPU to boost your gaming performance, Haswell probably isn't it. ""

So cheaper Ivy Bridge System here I come! Thanks Haswell for bringing down the price of the previous just as awesome system :)

13. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

From looking at Scan the prices the older stuff is roughly the same. You pay a premium for the new stuff.

But... Secondhand prices of the old stuff will drop. That's where the bargains are to be had in my opinion.

14. Meridius

Meridius What's a Dremel?

Hi All

I own a 750 Lynnfield CPU and wanted to know if it was worth upgrading to a Haswell CPU system.

Would I benefit upgrading my system would I see a big upgrade at the same clock speed

thanks for any advice

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

You'd notice some pretty big improvements yes. If you take a look at the graphs, your 750 is roughly the same as the Core i7-920.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd say the 750 is closer to the 1100T BE, but the difference probably wont be felt in many day to day tasks. Absolutely, if you encode video, but generally it won't feel vastly different.

However, if you have a modern GPU, the 750 is almost certainly holding it back in games; in comparison with 1155/1150 CPUs. That said, a hefty overclock can mitigate the bottleneck somewhat, at a fraction of the cost of a new board and processor.

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

Keep i7 nehalem in the benchmarks please :)

Haha yep i'm in the same boat i see no reason to upgrade from my i7 940 i think i'll be holding off until the next tock glad they keep the nehalem processors in the benchmarks still i think a lot of people stlil have them and it saves us googling for extra benchmarks.:clap:

18. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

Very dissapointed with haswell, you would have thought after the heat issues with Ivy, intel would have sorted the problem. Haswell is barely a tick on the previous generations

19. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

I held off going the LGA2011 route to wait for Haswell as an upgrade to my admittedly-outstanding-but-still-aging i7-920 C0. Although, I was hoping for more, particularly in regards to its overclocked temperatures, I've nevertheless decided that I want SATAIII, PCI-E 3.0 and USB 3.0 as much as new CPU so I ordered an i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Deluxe motherboard, Noctua NH-D14 cooler and 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance memory from Scan for delivery tomorrow. I'm not too concerned with getting massive overclocks anyway, my i7-920 could only manage 3.7 GHz stable, so I plan on running the i7-4770K at stock for the time being and then perhaps attempt a 4.0-4.2 GB overclock later. I suspect that even at 3.5 GHz the i7-4770K will be as fast, if not faster, than my i7-920 in everything, including games (which is the main use for my PC).

I'm looking forward to getting everything tomorrow but not so much looking forward to the actual PC rebuild and subsequent Windows 8 Pro reinstall... unless Acronis True Image 2013 Plus Pack's Universal Restore somehow miraculously works! It would be nice but, alas, I don't tend to be that lucky (I'll probably get a chip that is very poor at overclocking too).

Tags: Add Tags