1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Intermittent Power On Fault

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N17 dizzi, 15 Mar 2019.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

My PC has a new problem when I switch it on, it briefly starts then goes off right away. If I hold the power button it will come on after a few seconds, although it will sometimes not post: about a 80/20 (post/non post) split of cases.

Once started it runs fine as far as I can tell. It feels like it may be PSU related. Any thoughts?

I will do more testing tonight.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Does sound that way. Doesn't sound temperature related as it wouldn't start up again after if it was overheating. What power supply is it / how old? Do you have another you can test?

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Its a Seasonic Focus 750w, about a year old.

I sadly do not have another to test.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Shouldn't be issues with it if it's only a year old... Saying that I had issues with a couple of Seasonic PSUs and have stopped using them since... I presume you've checked that all the cables are fully inserted etc?

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thanks for replying George. I have tested more, it only starts playing up after the system has been on for a while. When 'cold' it starts and shuts down properly.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Could be a motherboard problem, as that is what passes instructions to the psu to turn on and off. Or maybe a problem with the power switch itself. If you motherboard has an onboard power switch, try disconnecting the case one and see how that works.

7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yes, I must admit PSU and Mobo were my two guesses. I have tried unplugging anything superfluous, and it still does it after being on for a few minutes.

It is a Z170i running an upgraded bios with a 7700K. No other power switch, sadly. I could get another 2 pin power switch and try that? (edit: which I have done)

I am also thinking of grabbing a second PSU to test and keep it as a back up. (edit: which I have also done, and is on its way from OCUK)

If its the mobo I am screwed because its out of warranty, and it would mean a rebuild. This system has a custom loop for the gtx1070 with a 120mm radiator, while the CPU is on an Arctic AIO. So swapping anything is a full days work.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2019
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ergh. Having just ripped my dual loops apart for a clean and to upgrade the gpu, you have my sympathies.

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

So I have now tried a different power switch and a different power supply and unplugging all non essentials... it still happens. It is a really weird fault.

Any other ideas? Or has the mobo got a problem?

10. kim

kim hardware addict

I thought about power down issues of your PSU because I saw the same symptoms to a friend's PC, but if you tryed a new PSU and it still happens, and if you have tested all RAM sticks...(it can be caused by a defective Ram stick), otherwise, it might be the mobo itself :rollingeyes:...of course, when you're mentioning an upgraded bios, is it an old upgrade or a recent one ? just in case...