Windows Is DVD/CD software/game/music ripping legal or not?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mystvearn, 19 Dec 2012.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

A few years back, I asked this question and got inconclusive answers. Now, I read this at wiki. Now I'm still unsure.

So is it legal or not?

Reason asking was that I was planning to build a new SFF and ditch the optical drive. Maybe I could stuff everything in a smaller case and put all optical media on disc. I have W7, and I believe MS does provide tool to put it on a thumb drive. New games could be obtained from Steam/online service, not old games. If there was a way to store my 2 CD Simcity 4 deluxe online, I would gladly do it.

Then there is the part where you make backups of your legal copies. Now it is available in multiple copies, but you still have the right to it. I bought MS Office 2010 direct download. The installer file could easily be copied as part of my backup file. The digital software can't be installed without the provided software key.

Second question. If it is illegal in UK, and not illegal in Aus, NZ or Spain. What happens if I just go to those countries, did all the backup there, then come back in UK. Technically no law is broken in UK. Though I'm not sure if accessing stuff which has been ripped is legal. I'm still confused as ever about ripping.

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

It depends on the stated terms of each item as presented by the copyright holder. That thing that nobody ever reads in detail.

There isn't a clear answer because it isn't actually that clear a question even though it seems like it is.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Depends on the country you're in really.
    Therefore there's no real answer.
    Switching countries is one of those things...is possession illegal or just the circumvention of copyprotection?

(In Germany for instance digital copies of things you own are allowed, but circumventing a copy protection to make these digital copies isn't) :D

4. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Music ripping is technically illegal, but there's a "gentleman's agreement" that you're fine unless caught infringing copyright more seriously. The Digital Rights Act aims to make ripping music legal and, I understand, will not be challenged on that front.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

6. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

7. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder