1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Though the point being that tech has generally been shrinking over the last 20 years (phones aside given they are now largely media consumption devices rather than actual, you know, phones). But most of the coolers, especially on the 4080 and below, are just overkill for the cards they are placed on. Look at the 4060 Low Profile compared to most of the other 4060 cards. It still cools the chip adequately and is less than half the size of most 4060s. I guess it’s cheaper to design fewer coolers, but that must mean they’re overpaying on the materials to make them. Or we are as consumers anyway.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Bigger means better on a GPU though. Well, in sales numbers at least. And yeah, I am being sarcastic, but the smaller ones don't sell terribly well. Besides, it would mean not recycling coolers from larger cards which would cost them more money.

3. Vault-Tec

Reet let's have some fun.

Arc 770 16gb - £342.99 (AWD)
    64gb DDR4 - £119 (Amazon)
    12700F - £274.99 (Amazon)
    Asrock B660m ITX (the nastiest of the lot) - £146.90
    Bequiet SFX Power 3 450w - £68.29
    2tb Crucial NVME (P3 plus) - £108.99

Case, let's say £60 and that is reaching.

This is ignoring Thunderbolt, a card reader, Killer WIFI and NIC and everything else.

£1,121.16.

Edit. Found a Bifrost at 299 on Amazon, so knock £43 off. It still doesn't come in at a grand or less.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My turn to have network problems during installation now, except I’m trying to install Win10. It just doesn’t want to play nicely with wired or wireless network on the Aorus B660i Pro.

I’m creating a Win11 installer now - that’s what I was using previously on this board and I didn’t have any trouble with either wired or WiFi. I’ve held off as long as I can but it might be time to bite that particular bullet. Will likely upgrade this CPU to something that has both performance and efficiency cores, and everything I’ve read/seen tells me that the Win10 task scheduler is pretty poor with P&E cores.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nope.

[​IMG]

Ethernet cable is fine and works on other devices, WiFi is fine and works on other devices. Won’t even find a network with USB WiFi.

There’s something seriously wrong here. Need to get a live Linux image booted to see whether it truly is just a driver problem. But I haven’t got any more time to f’ around right now, I’ve got a ton of stuff needs doing…

All I f’ing did was install a new SSD ffs…

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Hmm, my son had something similar happen to him quite recently. For some reason, all internet access attempts were directed through a proxy which pointed to the local host address - 127.0.0.1

He didn't do it, I didn't do it. I thought it might be malware or something.

I'm reminded of this: from 2m47s

Last edited: 3 Mar 2024
  7. Vault-Tec

Looking your board up Byron it seems it has 2.5gb ethernet and wifi 6. Support may not be integrated into Windows just yet.

Or, (and is more likely the case) the latest Win 11 installer is broken. Odd we both had the same issue, and I surmise on the same build (I dled mine the day I got it).

You can get around it dude. Here, this will help. I just couldn't type the right slash *facepalm*

https://pureinfotech.com/bypass-internet-connection-install-windows-11/

adidan likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Booted the previous SSD with its install of Win11 and it works just fine - this is definitely a driver problem, not a hardware problem.

The Windows installer is just flat out not detecting a network connection. Like... "cable not plugged in" not connected. Despite there being a working cable connected to a working switch which is connected to a working router with a working internet connection :lol:

Yeah, I don't think this is specific to your "Killer" NIC. Something has changed, because I sure as hell did not have this problem when I first installed Win11 with this board.

I tried modifying the Win11 installer image to include the ethernet drivers out of the box but f'ed up and only modified the WinPE image. Should've been a dead giveaway when the image file was only ~500MB... Modifying the actual install image looked was going to be a ballache (thanks for the split WIM file format, Microsoft - that's really helpful, you twats :wallbash:), so bugger it - I'll just do the network-less OOBE shenanigans!

Bloody annoying that it's happened on both Win11 and Win10...

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This solved it in the end:

No network during setup, but as soon as the "offline" account booted to desktop, boom: internet connection. Didn't even have to install ethernet drivers, it just worked on first boot.

At this point I have no idea WTF is going on with the Windows installer, but it's clearly not a hardware problem because the ethernet can do this:

[​IMG]

BeauchN, Vault-Tec and Arboreal like this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I am not prepared for this SFF stuff: today has been spent trying in vain to get coolers to fit :lol:

OH's PC to start with. Tried shorter non-RGB RAM on her board to see if I can get the fan installed on the Hyper 212 in the "correct" orientation.

Nope.

[​IMG]

Fine, Intel stock cooler it is. It's a bit whiny, but it easily keeps a 12400F in check. Once I clear out some kit I should have the budget to order a better cooler. The move to the Torrent Nano went well at least; GPU now has two slim 120mm fans pointing straight at it and I added a slim 120mm exhaust. That 180mm monstrosity at the front keeps plenty of air moving, a combined Furmark2 and Cinebench run got the CPU to ~70C and the GPU to ~65C after about 15 minutes. Nice.

[​IMG]

On to my PC.

Despite taking a massive risk on one of the sketchiest ebay listings I've ever seen...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... I was pleasantly surprised to find that an Alpenfohn Black Ridge did indeed plop through my letterbox today.

[​IMG]

And it is indeed unused.

[​IMG]

Bit of a dink in the fins, but can't win 'em all.

[​IMG]

But... it doesn't have an LGA1700 mount in the box. Poo. Never mind, I've requested one from Alpenfohn, but in the mean time I can at least check whether it fits correctly.

[​IMG]

Gooood, gooood, now what about with the memory installed? Ah, balls...

[​IMG]

What about shorter non-RGB RAM...?

Nope.

[​IMG]

Well... Piddle. Back to the L9i for now then! :grin: To be fair the L9i is more than adequate for the i3 12100, but I would like to upgrade this CPU to an i5 eventually - the L9i can handle the base TDP of a 12400F, but it'll thermal throttle before it hits full boost power.

11. David

Um... did you notice the Black Ridge cooler obscures the PCIE slot?

It will fit some boards if rotated 180 degrees, and used with low profile RAM, but it's designed to be used with a riser cable; in sandwich layout cases.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2024
    Byron C likes this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

... feck :duh: :lol:

Arboreal likes this.
  13. David

Sorry, mate, I'd have spoken up if I had realised you were going for a reference layout chassis. I thought you were sold on Tre's A4.

On the positive side, I doubt you'll have any problems selling it.

Arboreal likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

He’s got to put it up for sale first :grin:

15. David

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This looks... snug?

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah I watched that yesterday, and I’m still skeptical about one single axial flow linear crossflow fan being able to keep such high end kit under control…

Last edited: 8 Mar 2024
    IanW likes this.
  18. David

You mean linear crossflow fan?

I hope the build quality has improved

Byron C and IanW like this.
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Not the way Linus builds!

David likes this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yes. Yes I do. That's twice you've had to correct me recently :grin:

This time there were no instructions for them to ignore, because that's the usual tactic.

I've built in more cases than I can count, but yestrerday I still flipped through the manual for the Torrent Nano before getting started.

IanW and David like this.